I've heard nothing either, but according to the FAQ section on their website, notifications "are typically sent out in the last week of February." Should be soon!!

Edit - I just saw a waitlist. Anyone want to claim it? I'm curious if they gave you any further info.

Edited by gradgirlwannabe

I just posted what I think to be the second wait list announcement. Here's the bulk of the e-mail/letter: "This year, our program had an extremely competitive applicant pool with over 130 applications for only 7 funded positions. Since we only admit full scholarship students we cannot, at this time, offer you admission to the program. However, our Graduate Program Committee was very impressed with your candidacy and has placed you on a wait list for admission."

Beyond this, it just said they'll keep me informed about the status of my application.

Sorry, I wish I could offer me helpful information.

I just posted what I think to be the second wait list announcement. Here's the bulk of the e-mail/letter: "This year, our program had an extremely competitive applicant pool with over 130 applications for only 7 funded positions. Since we only admit full scholarship students we cannot, at this time, offer you admission to the program. However, our Graduate Program Committee was very impressed with your candidacy and has placed you on a wait list for admission."

Beyond this, it just said they'll keep me informed about the status of my application.

Sorry, I wish I could offer me helpful information.

No, that works. I'm wondering if they've accepted people already, but none of those 7 happen to be on GradCafe. They have tended to inform acceptances over the phone, so I guess keep 'em ready.

On 3/4/2011 at 11:52 AM, lechatgris said:

I'm on the waitlist for Rice (last I heard), but I just got an invitation for recruitment weekend that says they'll pay for the flight/hotel. Is this typical, or does Rice really have that much $ to throw around on non-admits? Or am I in off the waitlist, but somebody forgot to tell me? This is perplexing. Did anyone else get the invitation email?

They're loaded to the gills. They've got among the highest 25 endowments on a per student basis

edit: I'd've loved to have stuck around for the Ph.D. Many tears about this same-school-stigma business.

Good luck to all admits. Cary Wolfe is my dream POI but I couldn't bring myself to apply as he is far and away on his own in terms of AOS. Why did you leave Albany with Wills, Shepherdson, et. al., Cary?! WHY?!?

I'm on the waitlist for Rice (last I heard), but I just got an invitation for recruitment weekend that says they'll pay for the flight/hotel. Is this typical, or does Rice really have that much $ to throw around on non-admits? Or am I in off the waitlist, but somebody forgot to tell me? This is perplexing. Did anyone else get the invitation email?

Congratulations, Lechatgris! I haven't received any kind of invitation to the recruitment weekend. So, either way, I'm jealous! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

You never know, but they do seem to have alot of money to throw around. They paid over $2k for my flight and then put me up in a suite which was rather impressive. Also, we had a psuedo-mafia driver to and from the airport which was totally awesome.

• 4 weeks later...