USC MPA 2011

indisabelle

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey-

I was admitted to SPPD's MPA program. On 2/24 I received a packet in the mail with a letter from the USC Dean of Admissions, it wasn't from SPPD. The packet didn't talk about funding or anything. It was just a packet discussing housing, tuition, scholarships and other stuff. In the back of the book was the statement of intent form.

I would assume that SPPD like other schools sends out notifications in batches.

I know it is easier said than done, but I say relax.

Hey-

I was admitted to SPPD's MPA program. On 2/24 I received a packet in the mail with a letter from the USC Dean of Admissions, it wasn't from SPPD. The packet didn't talk about funding or anything. It was just a packet discussing housing, tuition, scholarships and other stuff. In the back of the book was the statement of intent form.

I would assume that SPPD like other schools sends out notifications in batches.

I know it is easier said than done, but I say relax.

Thank you so much for sharing these information! May I know that when you submit your application? Were you notified of SPPD's decision by email before the mail packet?

Thank you again!

I actually submitted my application on Monday night December 20...I believe. I don't think it's when you submit your application as much as it is when all of your documents have been received(i.e. recommendations, transcripts and test scores). I didn't submit my application until the 20( because I wasn't comfortable with my SoP and it was too long)....but everything else had already been received. They can't review your application until all these documents are together.

No, I wasn't notified by email. In fact my status on the Grad school website still says everything has been forwarded to my department/school for review and once a decision has been made I'll be notified. I noticed someone else had been notified via postal service, so I said let me check the mail when I get home(I hadn't checked the mail in a couple of days). I had a big packet that read "Welcome to USC" on the outside. The letter is dated February 23, 2011. Keep in mind I'm in Los Angeles and perhaps that is why I received my official notification so soon.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for sharing these information! May I know that when you submit your application? Were you notified of SPPD's decision by email before the mail packet?

Thank you again!

I applied for the MPP program and got an email notice yesterday followed by a packet from SPPD today with funding information included.

Hi Nimesis,

you said that you got an email notification--was it an email notification your acceptance? I just visited my application page and it says:

You will receive notification of your admission decision soon via postal mail. Please note that the Office of Admissions provides final decision notifications by letter only. We do not disclose admission decisions via e-mail, telephone, or any other means.

I'm in the Bay Area as well, so I'm hoping to wake up to a big envelop soon...

Edited by foodlover28

Woohoo! Just got my acceptance packets in the mail here in NYC! I'm in for the MPP program, and there was a letter saying they're giving me a partial scholarship! Super excited -- there were 2 separate big packets, 1 from SPPD and one from the general Grad School. The "Welcome to USC" on the envelope was the sweetest thing I've seen in a long time.

Got my acceptance packet for the MPA today too! Like another poster, it put a huge smile on my face to see the big Welcome to USC on the envelope. I think the real important one is the SPPD packet though, and I haven't got it yet. So am I to understand that those include funding information? Anybody score big so far?

Got my acceptance packet for the MPA today too! Like another poster, it put a huge smile on my face to see the big Welcome to USC on the envelope. I think the real important one is the SPPD packet though, and I haven't got it yet. So am I to understand that those include funding information? Anybody score big so far?

My scholarship letter was indeed in the SPPD packet (which for me arrived at the same time as the Grad School packet). They're offering me $20k a year.

My scholarship letter was indeed in the SPPD packet (which for me arrived at the same time as the Grad School packet). They're offering me $20k a year.

Congrats! smile.gif Are you going to the Dean's Merit day on the 25th? And have you heard anything about assistantships? The graduate school info folder says they're awarded by individual departments/schools, but I didn't find any information in the SPPD packet, other than the part where it says that the combination of merit scholarships and assistantships may not exceed the total cost of attendance.

Congrats! smile.gif Are you going to the Dean's Merit day on the 25th? And have you heard anything about assistantships? The graduate school info folder says they're awarded by individual departments/schools, but I didn't find any information in the SPPD packet, other than the part where it says that the combination of merit scholarships and assistantships may not exceed the total cost of attendance.

I didn't see anything about the assistantships either, so I'm not sure how that works. I'd love to make it to the Dean's Merit Day, but I'm on the East Coast, so I'm going to have to see if it's do-able. I'm more worried about the stat requirement -- it's been more than 3 years since I took stats it in college, and I'm not going to have the ability to take a class before school starts. Do the majority of people manage to somehow take a stat class between march and august???

Also, I was surprised how early school starts -- is it normal at other MPP programs to start in mid-August?

Edited by legs

I had already received my packet from Graduate Admissions, but I just received my SPPD welcome packet on Saturday for the MPA. It was a packet full of information. My faculty adviser was listed, information about the Dean Merit event as well as funding. To be completely honest, I'm a little shocked I received the award letter I did, but I'm happy. I didn't think I would receive any funding...or the most would be $2k. I'm in such disbelief that I'm waiting for SPPD to say it's a mistake.

I think part of my disbelief is viewing everyone's stats on this forum and feeling like I didn't measure up. Or that I wouldn't get admitted, but if I was admitted I definitely wouldn't get funding. I say all that to say...remain positive. Just because you haven't heard back doesn't mean the answer is denied. Mailing out acceptances cannot be done in 1 DAY esp. considering SPPD has many programs.

Edited by ero89

Congrats to everyone...I applied to the MPP program Dec 14 and live in LA and still haven't heard anything....I'm very nervous at this point because I feel like I should have heard by now....

I'd love to see the stats for those who got in...especially those who got funding...

Edited by keroscene

How long after you guys got your acceptances into SPPD did you get the follow up packet about funding?

For me it was like this:

1. Thursday I got an email saying I got into SPPD. No other information besides notification that my admission packet was on the way

2. Friday I got the packet from SPPD with funding information and acceptance letter and some other information specific to the department.

3. Saturday I got the packet from USC Graduate Division with all the other generic graduate school information.

I'm aware that some people got the grad division packet before the SPPD packet but the main thing is that the funding information seems to always come WITH the SPPD packet. So if you got a packet from SPPD without funding info then you probably won't get a second packet with funding from what I and others on this board have experienced.

Hopefully this helps clear things up.

Edited by Nimesis

I was admitted to the MPA.

1. My online status up until Saturday was that my application had been forwarded to the department and once a decision was reached I would be notified.
  2. Thursday, 2/24 I noticed someone had mentioned something about being admitted, so I checked my mailbox. That day I received a Standard welcome packet from Graduate Admissions...the packet read "Welcome to USC."
  3. Saturday morning, 2/26 I checked my online status and it said I would be receiving notification soon( I don't know the exact verbiage, but I think everyone has pretty much said the same thing)
  4. Saturday evening, 2/26 I checked my mailbox and received the welcome packet from SPPD w/funding.
  5. I just checked my online status it still says I will receive notification via postal service
My bet is that decisions are continuing to be made, funding truly is on a case to case basis. I mean I looked back into older post and I believe some applicants were not notified until early March, but still received funding. I don't work with adcom, but that's my opinion.

Also, I'll say it again...it's based upon when your entire application is received and remember SPPD has about 9 programs 10 if you consider the online MPA a separate one. That equates to a lot of applications, and a lot decisions being made and a lot mail being sent.

Best of luck!

For me it was like this:

1. Thursday I got an email saying I got into SPPD. No other information besides notification that my admission packet was on the way

2. Friday I got the packet from SPPD with funding information and acceptance letter and some other information specific to the department.

3. Saturday I got the packet from USC Graduate Division with all the other generic graduate school information.

I'm aware that some people got the grad division packet before the SPPD packet but the main thing is that the funding information seems to always come WITH the SPPD packet. So if you got a packet from SPPD without funding info then you probably won't get a second packet with funding from what I and others on this board have experienced.

Hopefully this helps clear things up.

Edited by ero89

I was admitted to the MPA.

1. My online status up until Saturday was that my application had been forwarded to the department and once a decision was reached I would be notified.
  2. Thursday, 2/24 I noticed someone had mentioned something about being admitted, so I checked my mailbox. That day I received a Standard welcome packet from Graduate Admissions...the packet read "Welcome to USC."
  3. Saturday morning, 2/26 I checked my online status and it said I would be receiving notification soon( I don't know the exact verbiage, but I think everyone has pretty much said the same thing)
  4. Saturday evening, 2/26 I checked my mailbox and received the welcome packet from SPPD w/funding.
  5. I just checked my online status it still says I will receive notification via postal service
My bet is that decisions are continuing to be made, funding truly is on a case to case basis. I mean I looked back into older post and I believe some applicants were not notified until early March, but still received funding. I don't work with adcom, but that's my opinion.

Also, I'll say it again...it's based upon when your entire application is received and remember SPPD has about 9 programs 10 if you consider the online MPA a separate one. That equates to a lot of applications, and a lot decisions being made and a lot mail being sent.

Best of luck!

Thanks! If you don't mind telling, what kind of financial aid package did you get from USC and what were your metrics?

Not a problem.

I was awarded $20k from SPPD

GRE 1170

GPA 3.0

Any other questions let me know.

Best!

Thanks! If you don't mind telling, what kind of financial aid package did you get from USC and what were your metrics?

Not a problem.

I was awarded $20k from SPPD

GRE 1170

GPA 3.0

Any other questions let me know.

Best!

From what you've seen, what's the tuition cost for 12 units per semester? I perused some of the stuff they sent and didn't see an answer to that question.