SIPA (Columbia) Thread

I got a strange email dated on Friday March 18 from André Corrêa d'Almeida, the Program Manager of MPA-DP (didn't see it until today because I was away from Internet for the past few days). The email was informing admitted applicants to the MPA-DP program of a funding opportunity--but I have yet to receive any notification of my admission decision. Her email starts with "First of all, congratulations (!!!) for being accepted in our Master in Public Administration in Development Practice (MPA-DP) at Columbia University. Today I want to call your attention for..." Clearly it was written as if I had already received my acceptance, but I've actually heard nothing from SIPA (other than blog emails, of course) and I see nothing on the applyyourself website. Did this happen to anyone else? Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on?

Edited by nemolover

<br />Sure,<br /><br /><b>Previous Schools</b>: University of Notre Dame <br /><b>Previous Degrees</b> and <b>GPA's</b>: Bachelor in Political Science with a minor in Middle Eastern Studies 3.48/3.66 <br /><b>GRE Scores</b> (Verbal/Quantitative/Analytical Writing): 700/720/5.0  <br /><b>Previous Work Experience: </b>Interned in college for a Defense Lobbyist in DC.  Taught 7th and 8th grade for a year.  3.5 years as an Army Military Intelligence Officer with a deployment to Iraq commanding a tactical collection team.   <br /><b>Math/Econ Background</b>: Calculus I &amp; II, Intro to Economics, Statistics <br /><b>Foreign Language Background</b>: Studied Arabic in college but am not proficient.  <br /><b>Recommendations: </b>Two former commanding officers and one professor from ND.<br /><br />In my SOP and my essay for the IFP I talked about my interest in Shiite Extremist groups and there inclusion into the governments of Lebanon and Iraq.  I had done undergraduate research on the topic and have practical experience from my deployment to central and southern Iraq.   <br /><br />I'm  trying to decide between Columbia, Fletcher, and Georgetown (Security Studies).  I received roughly equivalent funding from all of them.  I recently visited Tufts and loved it.  It's a small, flexible program with a strong faculty.  The professors actively work with students to arrange research and internship oppurtunities over the summers.  The oppurtunity to work with Vali Nasr is extremely appealing.  I was ready to sign on with Tufts until I got the email from Columbia about two hours after leaving Medford.  The IFP oppurtunity seems cool although I don't know exactly how strong Columbia is in Security Studies.  I'm planning on visiting both Columbia and Gtown within the next few weeks to help with the decision.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Who did you serve with? I'll be attending SIPA this Fall after my 4 years active duty army.

I got a strange email dated on Friday March 18 from André Corrêa d'Almeida, the Program Manager of MPA-DP (didn't see it until today because I was away from Internet for the past few days). The email was informing admitted applicants to the MPA-DP program of a funding opportunity--but I have yet to receive any notification of my admission decision. Her email starts with "First of all, congratulations (!!!) for being accepted in our Master in Public Administration in Development Practice (MPA-DP) at Columbia University. Today I want to call your attention for..." Clearly it was written as if I had already received my acceptance, but I've actually heard nothing from SIPA (other than blog emails, of course) and I see nothing on the applyyourself website. Did this happen to anyone else? Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on?

Since that's super strange and since admissions responses are relatively time-sensitive, I'd just go ahead and call them, explaining the situation.

I'm the one who received the weird email above from the MPA-DP Program Manager. I contacted the Admissions Office to ask them what was going on, and they told me I'm accepted as a Dean's Fellow with a $15,000 scholarship!

But I have still not received any official admissions decision via applyyourself. So I would still be waiting as well if I hadn't asked. Some of you who haven't heard yet may be receiving funding!

<br /><br /><br />

Who did you serve with? I'll be attending SIPA this Fall after my 4 years active duty army.

My team was part of the 201st Battlefield Surveillance Brigade out of Ft. Lewis. In country I was DS to both 4/1 AD and then 3/3 HBCT.

You?

My team was part of the 201st Battlefield Surveillance Brigade out of Ft. Lewis. In country I was DS to both 4/1 AD and then 3/3 HBCT.

You?

Both my deployments (Iraq and now Afghanistan) have been with the 2nd Cavalry Regiment from Germany. Germany rules, but I've been deployed for almost half my time there!

The Columbia blog isn't even addressing those of us waiting for a decision anymore. Awesome.

My guess is that there isn't all that much for them to say on the blog, other than something along the lines of "we're working as fast as we can to get the results out." When I contacted the Admissions Office to ask about my weird communication with the MPA-DP Program Manager, Matt Clemons explained that I hadn't received any notification yet because I had received a scholarship as a Dean's Fellow and they were still preparing some of the letters for those receiving funding. So I'm speculating--and this is complete speculation, please don't think this is anything official--that there are 2 categories of people waiting to hear:

(1) those receiving funding and whose letters are for some reason not yet prepared (maybe these letters have extra details? maybe exact scholarship amounts are yet to be decided for some people? I have no idea) and

(2) those last few people on whose decisions they are still deliberating

However, I do agree with you that it's annoying to read all this information intended for admitted students when we're still waiting. Up until yesterday, I didn't even want to open the blog emails anymore because I was convinced I was rejected or waitlisted, so what was the point in reading about current students or the welcome page?

All I can say to you is don't give up hope yet! GOOD LUCK!!

I think there is no doubt about the first group, those who would receive their letters with funding(though very few according to my friend from SIPA last year). However, I'm still curious about the second group. what's taking them so long with these people? If 60%of letters can be sent in 2 days in the first wave, then technically it should have taken them half a day to send the rest... I was afraid if some of the rest 9% were on the strategic wait list---meaning, when someone from the first wave turn down SIPA for funding from other schools. We o fill in many new waitlist places to ensure SIPA's enrollment for the fall....If that's the case. I'm very sad with what they have decided to do to us since every candidate should be treated equally. Anyway, that's just the worst guessing.

My guess is that there isn't all that much for them to say on the blog, other than something along the lines of "we're working as fast as we can to get the results out." When I contacted the Admissions Office to ask about my weird communication with the MPA-DP Program Manager, Matt Clemons explained that I hadn't received any notification yet because I had received a scholarship as a Dean's Fellow and they were still preparing some of the letters for those receiving funding. So I'm speculating--and this is complete speculation, please don't think this is anything official--that there are 2 categories of people waiting to hear:

(1) those receiving funding and whose letters are for some reason not yet prepared (maybe these letters have extra details? maybe exact scholarship amounts are yet to be decided for some people? I have no idea) and

(2) those last few people on whose decisions they are still deliberating

However, I do agree with you that it's annoying to read all this information intended for admitted students when we're still waiting. Up until yesterday, I didn't even want to open the blog emails anymore because I was convinced I was rejected or waitlisted, so what was the point in reading about current students or the welcome page?

All I can say to you is don't give up hope yet! GOOD LUCK!!

if one is under consideration for funding, then one is definitely an admit....why the suspense?

the funding letter coming later could then be a pleasant surprise...

why subject your top admits to so much self doubt and stress?

for guys still waiting out there. The latest message I got from the admission officer(not Matt) is that HOPEFULLY they o send the rest by the end of this week. Still on three categories: ad,rej and waitlist. If not then ...U know what's gonna happen...another one week. Let's get ourselves busy with angry birds and stuff instead of checking emai every five mins. Whatever...

Yes.