Athens, GA

locura81

Everything there is awesome. The northeast side is my favorite place for student life. Stay away from the west side. East side is also semidecent. North and northeast are definitely the safest, lots of student, though it can be sort of rundown in places. 

The downtown scene is awesome, with a diversity of bars, not just undergrad/underage bars. The music scene is incredibly awesome. I live in Atlanta now and often have to drive to Athens to see my favorite bands because they prefer to go there. In that same vein, ATL is only an hour or so south of Athens, so it's pretty close to everything georgia has to offer (no offense savannah). 

It's cheap to live there. You can find houses for the price of apartments. Public transport is great, with a ugacard you can ride for free on their busses, and the athens bus line will drive you for free as well. Parking is very cheap if you buy a pass, but you must buy the pass to park on campus. Usually you can just take a bus to campus though. 

Huge diversity in culture. But there is a very prominent alcohol culture, so be advised. Very strong academics though in the older age groups. Beautiful facilities, beautiful campus, awesome, awesome place to be. 

Also, football is nuts. The town will go crazy EVERY Saturday there is a homegame. Parking will cost 50-75$ on these days. But they're a lot of fun. The biggest parties are on north campus, which is across the street from downtown, so it's hard to avoid if it's not your thing, but it can be done if you stay on the north side of town. In my opinion, embrace it. I don't like football, but I love to people watch. Dawgs fans are insane. 

Best of luck to you friend, you'll love Athens, I miss it.

Edited by christianhol

I've lived on the West side of Athens for 7 years and I prefer it to East or North. There are a lot of historic neighborhoods here, and I'm close to the heart of downtown. Rent prices will vary by location and owner. There are noise ordinances and rent laws pertaining to the number of non-related tenants per building. As with any town, you'll pay a premium to live in a quiet family neighborhood versus an apartment complex development. 

As mentioned above, Athens goes crazy during football season-lots of out of town guests who lay waste to downtown and make traffic and parking miserable. Football fans don't mind the chaos so if you are into that sort of thing it'll be no issue. There's a burgeoning art scene, and the music scene here is a national hub. Athens is pretty nice, and it's also easy to escape it into the country or out to ATL. Businesses cater to college crowds so there are a large number of bars and music venues for such a small town. If you are a foodie you have a few really nice choices along with the typical college town fare. UGA helps keep the community diverse, but the local, non-University residents are often unique and interesting as well.  Athens has a lot of trees, rolling hills, and a tolerable climate for the South-generally not as humid as NC or southern GA can be. It's pretty friendly here.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

I will be attending UGA for a Genetics Ph.D. this coming fall of '13 and will be looking for a roommate.  I imagine having more luck meeting a solid roommate on this forum rather than Craigslist.  Relevant facts: I'm a 21 y/o male and have a cat.  Pets are cool with me as long as they all get along.  My ideal location is a town home or apartment north or northeast of campus, as that is the area with least undergrad population (or so I've heard - west campus is the main undergrad spot).   So, if anyone is interested in finding a roommate, send me a DM or email me at jacobbradleyburnett@gmail.com (subject: Grad Cafe - roommate).

Best,

Jacob

You lucky Dawgs!  I went to UGA as an undergrad and it was awesome.  Athens is a great place to live.  There's an incredibly old Southern history to the town.  The graveyard by the library has soldiers from the Revolutionary War buried in it.  It is home to the world's only surviving Civil War double-barreled cannon, a tree that owns itself, several historic homes, etc. 

It also has a great music scene.  REM, The B-52s, The Modern Skirts, and Widespread Panic are all from Athens and regularly come back.  Michael Stipe is around a lot and owns a vegetarian restaurant with awesome cake called The Grit near downtown.  Since they repaired the Georgia Theater from a fire in 2009, and built New Earth Music Hall, there are awesome venues for big bands to come, and if you're into the jam band scene it's especially up your alley. 

It's a great foodie town.  Hugh Acheson, a James Beard award winning chef, has 2 restaurants in Athens.  One called Five and Ten near 5 points, and one called the National downtown.  There are a ton of other great nice places, like Last Resort and La Dolce Vita downtown but there's also a ton of awesome cheap food.  You'll probably find yourself at Little Italy for a $3 slice of pizza at 3 AM after a long night downtown many a time.  Mama's Boy is a great southern soul restaurant near downtown that always has a line during school but in the summer and on weekdays, you can get yourself some of the best sweet-tea brined fried chicken ever.  Hollis' Famous Ribs were the best ribs in the WORLD, but apparently they closed last year (this is heartbreaking news).  If they reopen, I suggest you line up on opening day. 

The downtown area is awesome and has a ton of great boutiques for jewelry, clothes, art and furniture.  It's about 3 square blocks that are packed with bars (think around 100...I lived there for 5 years and still got invited to bars I'd never heard of or seen), boutiques, restaurants and pretty government buildings.  Right across from downtown is the entrance to the University.  It's absolutely a lovely town, I felt so spoiled by how gorgeous it was every day all over Athens. 

Housing is super-cheap and everywhere.  Undergrads live at most of the big complexes, if you choose to live there, try not to live near the pool or entrance. Other than that, I would say you probably want to live near the University.  I lived on Milledge Ave (which is sorority/fraternity row) right at Baxter St (which leads down to the student center) for $625 a month by myself in a 2BR.  It was a great place and I could walk to campus in 7 minutes downhill or wait for the bus which took about 10 minutes to go anywhere once I hopped on it.  Living further from campus is fine, but I found the convenience of living so close didn't have any significant cost increase.  5 points is another great area close to campus that has a lot of cool houses or apartments in houses that might be better for grads. 

Football season is nuts but it doesn't really matter if you aren't into football.  You'll get into the spirit and tailgating is so much fun, plus a ton of people go downtown after so it's a great time.  You will certainly learn not to drive anywhere immediately before or after the games.  EVER. 

Like others, I'm jealous that you are about to move to the Classic City.  You can't help but fall in love!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

I have recently been accepted to UGA for a Masters in Public Administration and I am in the process of trying to find a place to live. I'm from a large city but went to a small liberal arts college, so I'm excited to live in a college town. Since I am from out of state, all that I know about housing in Athens has come from Google. I know that certain areas of Athens have been suggested, but I was wondering if anyone had a specific apartment complex they could suggest. Hopefully I will be going up there during Memorial weekend, but I want to have a few places picked out before then. 

Thanks so much for all the advice that has been posted already and Go Bulldogs!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I will be applying to UGA for a marine science phd this winter, and I'm curious about the funding in case I get admission. I guess the situation varies from faculty to faculty, and case to case, but I'd still be interested in hearing what kind of funding are you getting: amount, duration, is it only for the academic year (= 9 months) or does it extend also to the summer months?

Thanks ?

• 4 months later...
On 2/14/2013 at 11:07 AM, boston the babelizer said:

Hi all,

Athens, GA is looking like a definitely possibility for me this Fall. I grew up in a college town, currently attend a program in a college town (Chapel Hill), and really dig the possibility of attending a PhD program in another college town.

Any advice on apartment hunting (location location location!), prices, public transit, parking situations, local culture, music culture, football, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Apartment hunting: I like to use this site www.valerioproperties.com You can find an apartment in any part of town and adjust the search to your price range. I live in 5 points close to East Campus, but lived in Downtown and Normal town as well. All great depending on what you are looking for. 

Prices: Rent is affordable. The East side is the cheapest and not that bad, but you'll drive to class everyday. Downtown is expensive, specifically if you try a loft situation, but normal town and 5 points neighborhoods are not that bad. Averaging $350-$750 utilities included depending on how many room mates you can handle. 

Public Transit - Pretty sweet deal. Realistically, if you live anywhere close to campus the UGA bus can get you to where you wanna go. If you need to get to the outer part of town, there is the Athens Transit. FREE with your student ID card. Literally can go anywhere with the bus, just gotta look up the times. 

Parking Situations - Depends on where you live, really. A lot of street parking, driveways for residential areas. There are parking decks on campus, and parking permits are not cheap but convenient for sure. 

Local Culture - Love it. Sure, there are the greek kids and UGA football and all, but there is more than that. The food is great, totally a foodie town. BBQ, american, vegetarian, tex mex, french, italian you name it. Two coffee roasting houses that makes starbucks coffee look like ground crap. Great art scene with small gallery openings, and Atlanta is only an hour south. Effortless drive and Atlanta kicks ass. 

Music Culture - Unbelievable. Great shows blow through this town constantly. Country, indie rock, psych rock, soul, funk, anything you wanna get down with. Live music is constantly rolling throughout the bars in the downtown city, which has over eighty bars in one square mile. Did I mention that spirits are unbelievably cheap? The spend $10 the whole night kid of cheap, depending on where you go. 

Drinking culture - Ah yes, the bars. Awesome bar scene. Music bars, greek bars, older bars, cheap bars, dive bars, just depends on what you want to get into. Also, Athens is the home of Terrapin Brewery. If you like hoppy beer, Terrapin brewery has been cleaning up awards with its super hopped up ales. Additionally, there is a growler station if you prefer to enjoy tap beer at home.

Football - HELL YEAH GO DAWGS RUN LINDSAY RUN LSWHO STOMP THE CHOMP! Football kicks ass if you are into it. It can be a lot of fun! Or, if you hate football, the home games are not going to be your friend. Personally, huge Dawg fan. Go Dawgs!

Any other questions, shoot.

Hope this helps!

• 5 months later...

Hi all, I'm a second year phd student at UGA, and I've got a pretty sweet living situation to offer if you're interested--it's perfect for someone just coming in to Athens and would like a quiet, but friendly roommate who is also a graduate student. I'm leaving this place, but only because of other unforeseen circumstances--it's an awesome deal for a wonderful house with a lot of room and in a great neighborhood. So here's the info, and feel free to email me at gale.m.thompson@gmail.com if you'd like more info!

I'm looking for someone to take my place on a two-person lease starting in June, July, or August, and lasting until July 31st, 2015. It's perfect for both new and current students looking for a cheap place to live with a fellow, trustworthy graduate student.

It would be a one bedroom in a great two-bedroom, one-bathroom duplex on Willow Run in the Normaltown neighborhood (excellent location), shared with a (male) English graduate student. Rent is total $735 a month, so you would only be paying for half of that--$367.50 a month. You would pay a security deposit of the same.

Craigslist Ad + pictures here: http://athensga.craigslist.org/roo/4419464781.html

Maintained by Valerio Properties

Easy, reliable transportation via Health Sciences bus

Washer and dryer provided

Huge front and back yards--big raised garden beds, rosemary and oregano out by the mailbox

Wood floors

Non-smoker.

Awesome pictures and more information on the house here:http://valerioproperties.com/listings/view/105

All best, and happy summer!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi whittylin! I am getting my PhD in psychology at UGA, finishing up my second year right now. I don't know anyone in your program but I would say talk to older students, most of us live in the same complex or near each other since none of us are from Georgia. I don't know any students living in graduate family housing, I believe it's somehow more expensive than renting your own place and it isn't nearly as nice.

It's very cheap (in my opinion) to live here, I have a two bedroom/two and a half bath two story townhouse in a gated community with a pool and only pay $800 a month! Whereas I believe grad student housing is dorm style and $900 a month?

Hope that helps! I'd be glad to try to answer any other questions you have about Athens! :)

I was just accepted to UGA's Education Policy PhD.  Any opinions on living on/off campus in graduate family housing?

I am starting a Microbiology PhD there this fall. I started looking a couple weeks ago and already found an apartment (2br, 2bath townhouse $700/mo, 1.5 miles to campus). I also toured a bunch of apartments of current grad students as part of my interview weekend. If you want, I can send you the list of properties we looked at with contact info for management companies. However, I would try to lock in something soon, because I was finding that I would email about an apartment in the morning, and by the afternoon it was leased.

I am starting a Microbiology PhD there this fall. I started looking a couple weeks ago and already found an apartment (2br, 2bath townhouse $700/mo, 1.5 miles to campus). I also toured a bunch of apartments of current grad students as part of my interview weekend. If you want, I can send you the list of properties we looked at with contact info for management companies. However, I would try to lock in something soon, because I was finding that I would email about an apartment in the morning, and by the afternoon it was leased.

That would be awesome!  Will you message me on here with that info?  My program doesn't conduct interviews and I have never been to Athens.  I am feeling a little nervous about all of this.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in family/grad housing for my first two years (currently a third year), and there are some decent pros to on-campus. You don't have to set up your utilities since electricity/water/cable/internet is included in the monthly rent (the grand total there is a bit less than what I pay now), and the maintenance crew were always really quick to fix things; buildings A-L are on two UGA bus routes and are a twenty minute walk to Sanford stadium.

On the other hand, you can get nicer apartments with a lot more space just a little ways off campus-- and its sooo much cheaper to get a roommate, too. Lots of 2+br apts here, some for only a little more than the 1br prices.

Let me know if I can help you with anything!

Thank You for the information. I too would personally prefer University housing. I think its free of worries.

There are options in Brandon Oaks, University Village and Rogers Road. Are all suitable for family housing ? Or is there something from this that should be overlooked ? I would be there (hopefully) with my family with kids.

Brandon oaks and rogers road are both a little offset from the main campus area (I think there's only one bus route that goes there), although I believe Brandon oaks is the best bet if you are coming with family (only option with 2ba, laundry in unit). I lived in a 1br in university village though, so I don't know much about the specifics of the other options.

thanks.

Apparently the university accommodation is on a waitlist. So I have to look for a place outside the university. I am looking for something around N Chase street and Barber street (these are to the north of the campus). Wonder how is this area for grad students with family?

I'm sorry, I've lived on the southeast side my whole time here, and no one I know lives on the north end. Some parts seem fairly nice, and some parts pretty sketchy just driving through, but it's like that in a lot of areas in town. Northeast seems to be consistently the nicest (I think someone else mentioned this already?) so perhaps that's another area to try.

GATech is in Atlanta, UGA is in Athens (this board). Am assuming there is a typo somewhere around here!

If you're headed to Atlanta-- good luck! Have fun! But the Atlanta board is probably a better place to look. My info is all several years out of date!

If you're coming to Athens, let us/me know and we can talk details then :)

Edited by keylanpie

I'm sorry, I've lived on the southeast side my whole time here, and no one I know lives on the north end. Some parts seem fairly nice, and some parts pretty sketchy just driving through, but it's like that in a lot of areas in town. Northeast seems to be consistently the nicest (I think someone else mentioned this already?) so perhaps that's another area to try.

Thanks.

I am looking for areas that are served by Chase Street Elementary School. Maybe I will look into areas that are served by this school and fall in the northeastern part of the town.

Cheers!

GATech is in Atlanta, UGA is in Athens (this board). Am assuming there is a typo somewhere around here!

If you're headed to Atlanta-- good luck! Have fun! But the Atlanta board is probably a better place to look. My info is all several years out of date!

If you're coming to Athens, let us/me know and we can talk details then :)

Hi sorry my bad...I probably saw it as Atlanta :P

Thanks anyways !!!

• 7 months later...

I'm in Atlanta for undergrad now but I go through Athens quite a lot - it's somewhat bike friendly, but I'd definitely plan on getting a car. Georgia as a whole is a very car-based state, and you'd miss a lot being tied to bikeable distances and bike-friendly roads.

Athens is a great town, and lots of fantastic music, great bar scene, etc, and on the scale of georgia it really isn't too far from Atlanta, which opens pretty much every resource you'd want.