Who applied to UNL's Engish PhD program?

I applied to the MA program. I've heard both bad and good things about funding there.

I did my MA at Nebraska, and can speak to some of the funding issues.

UNL offers admission to *way* more people than they can offer funding to. It's likely that a student who enters the program unfunded the first year will get a one-year renewable TAship after that, but there definitely was a class hierarchy regarding funding levels. My MA was unfunded, and I often did feel like a second class citizen.

I don't want to denigrate the great faculty there, of course. I eventually did find mentors, but because the program didn't have anything invested in me, it took a year for me to network enough to feel like part of the program.

If you can get their multi-year funding package with additional recruitment fellowships, it's *awesome*. Lincoln has an incredibly low cost of living, and I personally really liked the town. The teaching load is 2/2, however, and a lot of students found that to be teetering on the edge of too much in addition to taking 3 graduate seminars and attempting to professionalize oneself as much as possible.

I'm getting antsy because last year they started sending results out on March 1st. My other schools won't be getting back to me until quite a bit later, so I'm really hoping to hear from UNL this week. Anyone have any updates?

If anyone is getting antsy because Nebraska hasn't notified yet, I wouldn't worry about it. Last year the program notified unusually early; I would expect notification of acceptance for those *with* funding will go out sometime this upcoming week, and the website will show acceptance for those *without* funding the week after that, or possibly the same week.

Has anyone heard anything from Nebraska yet? I'm pretty sure they are on Spring Break this coming week, and it seems strange that they haven't notified anyone yet.

Has anyone heard anything from Nebraska yet? I'm pretty sure they are on Spring Break this coming week, and it seems strange that they haven't notified anyone yet.

It does seem strange. Next week would be the latest that funded admits ever have been notified by the program, judging by the history on the results board. Last year, funded admits were notified the last week of February. At some point, it will be difficult to compete with offers that have been on the table for a month or longer.

According to their academic calendar, UNL isn't on spring break until the 20th, so we might still hear from them this upcoming week. I'm a little on edge because my school's spring break was this past week and I got no news from anyone, while I was sitting by my mailbox patiently. But let's try to keep our chins up, mh1! There's still time! Hopefully all acceptances rolling in next week!

I emailed them and here is their reply:

The committee will meet this afternoon and notification will begin on Tuesday.

Thanks for the heads up! By Tuesday they mean tomorrow, I assume? Good luck to everyone and I hope we all get funded acceptances this week!

Do you think they will notify by snail mail or online?

Thanks for the heads up! By Tuesday they mean tomorrow, I assume? Good luck to everyone and I hope we all get funded acceptances this week!

You can check your status through the GAMES system online.

Well, I dont have access to my account, so I will have to wait a bit longer I think.

Please post information here as soon as you hear anything about MA admissions :)

Do you think they will notify by snail mail or online?

Funded admits are notified by an email from the DGS. Unfunded admits are notified first via the GAMES website and then through snail mail.

I received a phone call yesterday afternoon notifying me that I had been accepted into the program. $15,000 stipend for 5 years, tuition waiver, health benefits, etc. The DGS mentioned I was at the top of the list for admits, and the committee had just finished making final decisions. So perhaps I was one of the first to know and the news will trickle in slowly for other admits. No mention on the size of the cohort (I didn't ask). I was a bit surprised they offered to fly me out for a campus visit, considering some of the things I've read on Gradcafe regarding the funding issues at UNL. It was a very pleasant phone call. Don't know if I'll take the offer because I'm leaning toward another school (and have waitlist possibilities), but this will make me pause and consider my options. Best of luck to the rest of you waiting to hear news.

Edited by folkloredude

I received a phone call yesterday afternoon notifying me that I had been accepted into the program. $15,000 stipend for 5 years, tuition waiver, health benefits, etc. The DGS mentioned I was at the top of the list for admits, and the committee had just finished making final decisions. So perhaps I was one of the first to know and the news will trickle in slowly for other admits. No mention on the size of the cohort (I didn't ask). I was a bit surprised they offered to fly me out for a campus visit, considering some of the things I've read on Gradcafe regarding the funding issues at UNL. It was a very pleasant phone call. Don't know if I'll take the offer because I'm leaning toward another school (and have waitlist possibilities), but this will make me pause and consider my options. Best of luck to the rest of you waiting to hear news.

Congratulations! That's wonderful news. I see you were accepted to Mizzou too (that's just down the road from my undergrad institution). Hooray for the midwest!

I just called Sue Hart about when we would receive notifications and she was quite cheerful in saying "I'm working on it! I should get everything loaded in just a few minutes." I hope that's true! I'll be waiting patiently at my computer until then.

I just received a generic (automatically generated?) email about my status change: accepted. Part of me thinks it might be a mistake, though, because when I went to MyRed, it didn't say anything about acceptance or rejection. Same with Games. Weird.

Edit: Never mind. Games is updated - I was in too much of a hurry before.

Edited by crae

I just received a generic (automatically generated?) email about my status change: accepted. Part of me thinks it might be a mistake, though, because when I went to MyRed, it didn't say anything about acceptance or rejection. Same with Games. Weird.

Edit: Never mind. Games is updated - I was in too much of a hurry before.

Congrats! Any word on funding?

So, did everyone hear back or are some still unreviewed?

Congrats! Any word on funding?

So, did everyone hear back or are some still unreviewed?

My GAMES page still reads "Under Review."

To clarify funding: if you received notification directly from the DGS or a POI via email or phone call, s/he would have detailed the funding package. Otherwise, if the only notification is the auto-email from Sue Hart directing you to an updated GAMES status, you're not one of the first-round funding offers.