Who applied to UNL's Engish PhD program?

My GAMES page still reads "Under Review."

To clarify funding: if you received notification directly from the DGS or a POI via email or phone call, s/he would have detailed the funding package. Otherwise, if the only notification is the auto-email from Sue Hart directing you to an updated GAMES status, you're not one of the first-round funding offers.

So do you think those of us who haven't heard yet still have a chance for funding, or not?

So do you think those of us who haven't heard yet still have a chance for funding, or not?

I have no idea. It could be that those still "Under Review" were not accepted at all. It could be that those "Under Review" still have a shot, for some weird reason. Only one funded admit has come out of the woodwork.

Has anyone applying to MA got any information?

I have no idea. It could be that those still "Under Review" were not accepted at all. It could be that those "Under Review" still have a shot, for some weird reason. Only one funded admit has come out of the woodwork.

Congrats! Any word on funding?

Thanks! No word on funding (I didn't receive a personal call or email), so according to what TC3 said, I'm not on the top of the list for it. I'm planning on declining this offer anyway, so no biggie. Good luck to everyone!

I called Sue (again) and was told that those who have not received notification will eventually have our GAMES page updated to"A decision has been made" but will not receive our actual admission status until we receive a letter. This seems extremely indure to me, but I guess they make the rules.

I called Sue (again) and was told that those who have not received notification will eventually have our GAMES page updated to"A decision has been made" but will not receive our actual admission status until we receive a letter. This seems extremely indure to me, but I guess they make the rules.

I don't know what to make of that, but the pessimist in me is bummed.

That's probably because you were accepted. My guess is that the rest of us were rejected? That's atleast my Negative Nancy take on it.

You think they'd send letters to everyone who was rejected? That seems like a lot of paper and postage, especially if they could easily notify us through GAMES instead.

Edited by tothemoon

You think they'd send letters to everyone who was rejected? That seems like a lot of paper and postage, especially if they could easily notify us through GAMES instead.

Good point. I'm just frustrated by the misinformation I've received and combined with all the stress of doing well I'm my last few weeks of undergrad, I'm assuming the worst.

Based on what's been written for previous years, my best guess is that if we don't know now then we aren't accepted. I highly doubt they have a waitlist since they have the tiered admissions (funded and unfunded). Of course, this assumption is based on zero information outside of grad cafe, so take it with a grain of salt.

This is only speaking for PhD candidates though. Does Nebraska automatically consider PhD applicants without a masters for their MA program? I'd be happy with that at this point.

Based on what's been written for previous years, my best guess is that if we don't know now then we aren't accepted. I highly doubt they have a waitlist since they have the tiered admissions (funded and unfunded). Of course, this assumption is based on zero information outside of grad cafe, so take it with a grain of salt.

This is only speaking for PhD candidates though. Does Nebraska automatically consider PhD applicants without a masters for their MA program? I'd be happy with that at this point.

If we go by how many folks posted their results on gradcafe this year compared to last year, then we still have cause for hope. My guess, however, is that funding offers are a done deal. I don't know about you, but I feel an acceptance without funding is more tortuous than a rejection.

I'd recommend not taking unfunded offers, especially for the PhD. It's true that there are one-year renewable TA-ships for which unfunded PhD students can apply after the first year, but these are totally variable based on the leftovers of year-to-year funding. I know of someone who was really jerked around by that process; he was awarded a package that was later rescinded due to budgetary nonsense.

More importantly, it's difficult to network with faculty (and other students, for that matter) when one is unfunded. This is in no way a denigration of Nebraska's program, but a fair assessment of the realities of unfunded graduate study. My Masters was unfunded, and while I learned a lot and grew intellectually, I often didn't feel like a part of the department. Plus, the loans add up quickly, even at public institutions.

After that Masters and three doctoral application cycles, I've found that the most important factor is that a program *wants* you to be there. I'd say that it's fair that if by the end of the week we haven't heard about a funded offer, we probably didn't get one. I'm also leaning more towards accepting that those of us whose GAMES has not yet updated were not even accepted *without* funding.

So did anyone whose GAMES said "a decision has been made" get a letter yet? I want to know if it was a reject or an accept, I don't know what to make of this. Mine just updated today.

Mine was just updated. I have no idea what their decision was... and frankly I'm a little ticked off. Why are they giving us the run-around if we're most likely rejected?

So did anyone whose GAMES said "a decision has been made" get a letter yet? I want to know if it was a reject or an accept, I don't know what to make of this. Mine just updated today.

My status was updated yesterday and I got my rejection letter in the mail today. Bummer. Good luck to those still in the running!

I don't think there is anyone in the running anymore. Unless they're staggering acceptances, but I doubt it.

I agree. It's safe to say that all funded admission offers have been sent and all unfunded acceptances have been updated on the GAMES site. Nebraska doesn't stagger acceptances.

However, I have no idea how the wait list works there, and it is common to dip into the wait list as top candidates accept offers from other institutions.