Should I tell my recommenders about the results?

poohpooh

Hi all,

just a quick question - do recommenders expect their students to report their admissions results? I think I heard once that it's the general etiquette on students' part to report the outcomes, but I want to make sure. I would appreciate your answers! Thanks.

I don't see why not :) if you get in, they'll be so happy and proud, if you don't, they might be able to offer you advice and maybe even offer to send LORs again next year, should you reapply.

I'm close with my recommenders so it's a must to let them know.

Absolutely. It's only common courtesy; they helped you out, you should let them know how it's going. I haven't been doing it after every single decision, but after two or three, it's up to you. They may not respond every time, but I think they'd still like to know.

Yeah it's a good idea. Perhaps you can let them know where you'll end up (or if you'll be re-applying next year if you don't get in), instead of reporting each result. I think that profs do enjoy knowing that their students are doing well, so I believe they'd definitely appreciate you telling them.

I agree with the previous posts. It's always nice to let them know. I sent all three of them an e-mail notifying them when I received my first admit because, the way I see it, I wouldn't have been accepted without their help. I even brought them some traditional candy from my country. I also let them know when I made my final decision.

i'm really close with two of my letter writers so they always ask me everyday about my results ha. but the third one is really far away so i prob wont tell her until i know where i'm going for certain.

Hi all,

just a quick question - do recommenders expect their students to report their admissions results? I think I heard once that it's the general etiquette on students' part to report the outcomes, but I want to make sure. I would appreciate your answers! Thanks.

They went to the trouble to write you a recommendation. The least you can do is to keep them apprised of the results. I think a brief message letting them know the results and your decision is a sign of common courtesy and respect. :o)