Dream School, No Funding ... Where to look for fellowships?

explodingstressball

congrats. what school?

I don't know of anything you could get for the coming fall. maybe someone else does.

Hey everyone,

So I just got into my dream program. Except, they were not able to offer me funding. Do you have any ideas about where to begin looking for fellowships/grants for a political science PhD candidate? Help, I am a bit desperate.

Thanks!

Cool. I went there for my international development masters...took some courses from poli sci guys.

there are a lot of internships available in DC....some paid....of course you probably don't want to do an internship while in a phd program...

George Washington, in DC. Of course it also has to be in one of the country's most expensive areas.

Same problem here. I got accepted at my top choice with no funding. As much as I want to work toward my MA, I'm having a really hard tim justifying 80,000 in loans over the next 1.5-2 yrs....does this warrant a deferral? Perhaps working for a year to save up some $$$$?

At least if you enrolling in a PhD, you should never pay. This is going to sound terrible, but it is often an admission choice that schools use when they don't have a waitlist (this was at least the case at MIT). So from that perspective, they're not really 100% behind you, which is not what you want going into a program regardless of the MASSIVE debt involved.

At least if you enrolling in a PhD, you should never pay. This is going to sound terrible, but it is often an admission choice that schools use when they don't have a waitlist (this was at least the case at MIT). So from that perspective, they're not really 100% behind you, which is not what you want going into a program regardless of the MASSIVE debt involved.

I agree. I'm only going for mine because it's an MA and I'm pretty positive I'll be a more competitive applicant for PhD funding after I go to this school