LBJ -- UT Austin

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting for my letter/ email. Could you guys who got money show your stats? I'd like to start prepping myself for either a nice surprise or disappointment.

GRE V610, Q720, W3.5

GPA 3.76

5 years military including 1 year as a commissioned officer in Texas

Other great public admin work experiences through undergrad

Thanks

same here--I was surprised to be named one of the LBJ Fellows with 5k per semester and in state tuition as well. This completely covers tuition for both years which is amazing news. I'm really looking forward to visiting campus and hopefully this will help me make a decision!

I was also named an LBJ Fellow with the same funding package. So far, LBJ is offering quite a bit more than the other schools that accepted me. It's tough to argue with free tuition. I can't attend any of the visitation days, so I'm hoping you guys all go and bring back good reports : )

Stats: 700v, 690q, 5 - 3.9

I wonder if they are more willing to give money to out of state students? Did any texas residents get funding?

I'm already living in Austin, and no money for me, though I really wasn't expecting any. I'm just happy I was admitted as I'm sorely lacking any relevant experience!

I'm out of state and was also named an honors fellow. The package is $10k a semester with a waiver for the nonresident portion.

I wonder if they are more willing to give money to out of state students? Did any texas residents get funding?

I'm already living in Austin, and no money for me, though I really wasn't expecting any. I'm just happy I was admitted as I'm sorely lacking any relevant experience!

I'm out of state and was also named an honors fellow. The package is $10k a semester with a waiver for the nonresident portion.

I received the same fellowship. Anyone has any idea of the way of payment? Does it mean that I need to pay the whole tuition first and then they will provide $5,000 me at one time when I start every semester, or they reduce tuition so that I can just pay for rest of the amount? I am not familiar with these fellowship and scholarship things.

Edited by luckystar

Hey, nogone, I'm in Austin too but haven't heard anything about funding at all. (I heard I was accepted by email). Did you get a letter telling you that you weren't getting any funding?

Still trying to find out how you knew you were getting no funding.....did you get a letter or email??? Beyond hearing that I've been accepted, I have not heard anything by letter or otherwise about funding. Question....do they tell you if you do not get funding in a letter? If I haven't heard anything at all, does that mean no funding?

I live in Georgetown, just north of Austin and I didn't get funding. Not a big deal since my parents really want me to go to UT and decided to fund it, but still disappointed I won't get any fellowships.

Still trying to find out how you knew you were getting no funding.....did you get a letter or email??? Beyond hearing that I've been accepted, I have not heard anything by letter or otherwise about funding. Question....do they tell you if you do not get funding in a letter? If I haven't heard anything at all, does that mean no funding?

Did you get LBJ school's officail admission letter by e-mail? Funding information is supposed to be in the official letter.

yes, got official email, but nothing in the mail. And I'm right here in Austin.

Did you get LBJ school's officail admission letter by e-mail? Funding information is supposed to be in the official letter.

Hey Guys

Got through LBJ with 5k$ per semester . I am an international applicant [ Computer Science Engineer with 1.x years workex , India ]

I want to come back to India after my graduation . I dont mind working in US for 1-2 years after the course though.

1. My concern is regarding the job opportunities back home in India after the MPAff degree.

2.Also, Is it difficult for international students to get jobs in US after the MPAff degree?

Also, will my background and zero relevant work experience be a problem?

3. With 5k$ per semester, I will need to pay for living expenses/medical insurance etc. How easy it is to get a TA/RA or a job in campus?

Even without the course fee, I think I would still need to take bank loan from here :(

Other Offers : IPS(JHU) - 21,000$ , Heinz - 7,000$ for first semester ( for other semesters depending on performance)

Pardon my poor knowledge regarding this :) I dont know a single soul from this part of the world who did Public Policy

I did get through some Indian Universities for masters degree . So having trouble deciding which is the better option.

May be I should do Masters in India and come to US for my PhD degree.Thats what I am thinking now

@coffee_fan, you got 10k$ per semester from LBJ ?? Wow...congrats :)

Looking forward to hear from you guys :)

I want to make sure i'm reading the LBJ website correctly...out of state tuition is about $9500 per semester???

What the MPAff website says under FAQs is that:

"Fall 10 and Spring 2011 tuition only for students in the regular program are:

Resident, 12 hour, per semester - $4,957

Non-Resident, 12 hour, per semester - $9,531"

So, I assume -hope- it won't be much different for next fall.

does this seem really inexpensive? or am i just naive about this...CMU/Heinz is 19,000 a semester, so even with my 8,000 a semester scholarship, LBJ is still cheaper. I was thinking I couldnt pass up such great funding, but it basically just evens the playing field...

What the MPAff website says under FAQs is that:

"Fall 10 and Spring 2011 tuition only for students in the regular program are:

Resident, 12 hour, per semester - $4,957

Non-Resident, 12 hour, per semester - $9,531"

So, I assume -hope- it won't be much different for next fall.

does this seem really inexpensive? or am i just naive about this...CMU/Heinz is 19,000 a semester, so even with my 8,000 a semester scholarship, LBJ is still cheaper. I was thinking I couldnt pass up such great funding, but it basically just evens the playing field...

It's unbelievably inexpensive. The other private *and* public schools I'm looking at were the same price with big scholarships as LBJ full price. Now that LBJ's offered me a chunk of funding, it's practically free.

It do is really cheap. I remember reading that all Texas public universities, at least at the grad level (even med school), are significantly cheaper than public and private schools in other states.

Can any accepted international student to MPAff tell me the deadline to respond to the admission offer, please?

has anybody researched how easy it is to apply to the business school (McCombs) during your first year at LBJ? Also, are there any active LBJ students on this board who can speak to the career services department for MGPS students?

I emailed a professor at LBJ and he said most of the students in the dual MBA/MPAff get in by applying to the business school during their first year at LBJ. I didn't get in as a dual degree applicant, so if I go to LBJ, I will definitely be applying during my first year.

has anybody researched how easy it is to apply to the business school (McCombs) during your first year at LBJ? Also, are there any active LBJ students on this board who can speak to the career services department for MGPS students?

I emailed a professor at LBJ and he said most of the students in the dual MBA/MPAff get in by applying to the business school during their first year at LBJ. I didn't get in as a dual degree applicant, so if I go to LBJ, I will definitely be applying during my first year.

I read somewhere on the website that you could only apply as a double degree student before matriculating at either McCombs or LBJ... is that true? if it aint, my balance is leaning towards UT heavily!