Rejected from every school I applied to...

cokohlik

Well, it seems like I've been rejected from every school I applied to. (I haven't heard from Yale yet, but it's a long shot.) This is my first round of applications, so I'm going to try again next year. I just feel so discouraged. I'm going to apply to around 10 schools next time and retake the GRE. Any other tips or success stories for those of you who have done a second round of applications? :) Thanks.

Don't always apply to schools that just have the name factor. I know of many graduate students that picked schools based on how recognizable the name was, and how many of their graduates go on to teach at the Ivies, and the new Ivies (Vandy, Duke, etc). They end up being really disappointed when they realize their competition is just as fierce once they are in the program, and are miserable for 5-6 years of their lives. It's good to have a balance of 1-2 reaches, 4-5 reasonable ones to get into, and 2-3 safeties. Not only that, but you also need to be looking at fit as well. Some of my schools I was invited to for interviews this time around were stronger research fits overall, and while ranking is important, it's not what is going to make you happy down the line. I would be happy to get into any school that offers me full-funding as long as I know the research and overall personality fit is there. Good luck!

Although I'm on a waitlist, I'm assuming that I'll have to try again next year.

I was one of those people that applied to relatively few programs, all in the top-tier with great funding. My field is not booming with jobs, especially with the Anti-Humanities mindset everyone has these days. So if I'm going somewhere, I'm going to really try to go to an excellent program with high placement rates and good funding, as well as fit.

But I've learned a WHOLE HECK OF A TON this round. Like, that this site even exists!

Don't worry too much! Take a year or so to beef up your apps! I applied right out of undergrad and interviewed a few places, but never got in anywhere. I also don't think I was ready, I didn't really know what I was interested in studying.. So this time around I applied to 7 places vs 8 last time, but really researched the programs and the fit I had with them. I got interviews 6/7 and got in everywhere I interviewed! Trust me, success can be just around the corner. During my time off I worked as an IRTA at NIH which was great, especially since it gave me great recommendations and a ton of research experience. I also took a few classes, but I don't think that meant nearly as much. Being an applicant that clearly knows what they want and how to get it is very appealing to a program because they know you will succeed and spend your life saying I got my PhD at ___. Don't give up and definitely re-apply! I don't know your fields well, but re-take the GRE if you think you need to. Very competitive programs in my field look for >80th percentiles in all categories.

Don't always apply to schools that just have the name factor.

Note that the OP's intended program is Art History. A friend who is at NYU's art history grad program told me since the market for art historians is SOOO limited (even more than that for us psychologists) there is no point in going to less famous schools. And it seems that for a lot of humanities disciplines the lab/professor doesn't matter as much as the whole department (I know it's different for psychology). I think before we dish out advice we should take into consideration the difference between fields.

So before taking the next round (good luck with Yale though, don't give up till the end!), make sure your resume/application is different from the first time - as in, you should be able to add something new, or change your sop a lot, etc. If I were you I'd probably wait a year before I apply again - unless you need to go to grad school right away. And a lot of people need several rounds to get in, it's normal :) the best of luck!!

Edited by nhyn

Well, it seems like I've been rejected from every school I applied to. (I haven't heard from Yale yet, but it's a long shot.) This is my first round of applications, so I'm going to try again next year. I just feel so discouraged. I'm going to apply to around 10 schools next time and retake the GRE. Any other tips or success stories for those of you who have done a second round of applications? :) Thanks.

The same thing happened to me when I applied the first time (I'm also in art history). I got an internship, did an MA, retook the GRE, and this time I've been much more successful. I cast a focused, rather than wide, net and I looked at things like adviser fit and success of graduates from the program rather than prestige/name. I was really discouraged the first time and very depressed about it, so I completely understand how you feel about it and I wanted to just give up a million times but if I was honest with myself, there were things I could have done differently (better SOP, etc) that I just needed a little more time and training to improve.

Don't always apply to schools that just have the name factor. I know of many graduate students that picked schools based on how recognizable the name was, and how many of their graduates go on to teach at the Ivies, and the new Ivies (Vandy, Duke, etc). They end up being really disappointed when they realize their competition is just as fierce once they are in the program, and are miserable for 5-6 years of their lives. It's good to have a balance of 1-2 reaches, 4-5 reasonable ones to get into, and 2-3 safeties. Not only that, but you also need to be looking at fit as well. Some of my schools I was invited to for interviews this time around were stronger research fits overall, and while ranking is important, it's not what is going to make you happy down the line. I would be happy to get into any school that offers me full-funding as long as I know the research and overall personality fit is there. Good luck!

I agree with snes that it is not worth going to a second-rate humanities PhD program. I also don't think of Vandy as a new Ivy, maybe Duke. Some of the good public universities, UC Berkely and UVa, are stronger than Vanderbilt. All are still eclipsed by non-Ivy greats like Stanford and uChicago. Unless the program has a strong national (or international) reputation then it may be fruitless unless you're satisfied to study and not make any money from it.

I agree with snes that it is not worth going to a second-rate humanities PhD program. I also don't think of Vandy as a new Ivy, maybe Duke. Some of the good public universities, UC Berkely and UVa, are stronger than Vanderbilt. All are still eclipsed by non-Ivy greats like Stanford and uChicago. Unless the program has a strong national (or international) reputation then it may be fruitless unless you're satisfied to study and not make any money from it.

You obviously don't know anything about Vanderbilt....it is actually a very good school across the board...and for my field, attending Vanderbilt wouldn't be fruitless...as it is one of the top in my field.

But anyway, I do agree with other posters that it is wise to apply to lesser prestigious schools in addition to your dream ones. Grad admissions is extremely competitive, which means that not everyone is going to be able to get into an ivy. This time around, I ended up applying to 14 schools lol. I am sure I overdid it, but knowing how competitive it would be this year, I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I originally intended to apply to nine this year...but my advisor suggested I add a couple more.

I also would suggest having at least 3 professors look over your personal statement and writing sample...these are 2 of the most important application materials for humanities admissions. Last year, I didn't get into any schools, but looking back at the personal statement that I wrote, I wouldn't have let myself in either! It was all over the place and lacked coherence. Also, my writing sample was not linked directly to my personal statement, so I made sure that this time around, my sample reflected by personal statement. Lastly, I did choose(albeit grudgingly) to take the GREs over again. You never know what piece of your application material will be the make it or break it so you have to make sure everything is as good as it possibly can be!

Edited by ZeeMore21

To improve your app, you could write/attempt to publish an article, and even if that doesn't happen present it at every conference you can get to, especially ones with your POIs at it. You have a whole year to add things to your app and make friends inside of departments.

Note that the OP's intended program is Art History. A friend who is at NYU's art history grad program told me since the market for art historians is SOOO limited (even more than that for us psychologists) there is no point in going to less famous schools. And it seems that for a lot of humanities disciplines the lab/professor doesn't matter as much as the whole department (I know it's different for psychology). I think before we dish out advice we should take into consideration the difference between fields.

So before taking the next round (good luck with Yale though, don't give up till the end!), make sure your resume/application is different from the first time - as in, you should be able to add something new, or change your sop a lot, etc. If I were you I'd probably wait a year before I apply again - unless you need to go to grad school right away. And a lot of people need several rounds to get in, it's normal :) the best of luck!!

As a humanities Ph.D. applicant I agree that it is not worth going to a second-rate program just to get a degree, however I think it's necessary to define what "first-rate" and "second-rate" are exactly. Just because a school isn't an Ivy doesn't mean it's not first-rate. I only applied to top 20 (maybe 25) programs in my field and yes, my list included a handful of Ivies, but also several less nationally prestigious universities that were nonetheless top programs in my field that have a lot of respect and consistently have excellent job placement. Just because a program isn't part of a brand name school doesn't mean it isn't an excellent program, and people in the field who are hiring you know what schools are strong in the area, not just what schools everyone has heard of.

As a humanities Ph.D. applicant I agree that it is not worth going to a second-rate program just to get a degree, however I think it's necessary to define what "first-rate" and "second-rate" are exactly. Just because a school isn't an Ivy doesn't mean it's not first-rate. I only applied to top 20 (maybe 25) programs in my field and yes, my list included a handful of Ivies, but also several less nationally prestigious universities that were nonetheless top programs in my field that have a lot of respect and consistently have excellent job placement. Just because a program isn't part of a brand name school doesn't mean it isn't an excellent program, and people in the field who are hiring you know what schools are strong in the area, not just what schools everyone has heard of.

Well put.

Another thing you do need to keep in mind that humanities programs are being hit the hardest by this recession. Funding has been slashed everywhere and there are far more applications for fewer spots. It's starting to become a trend that you shouldn't expect to get in anywhere for the PhD the first time you apply, especially if you have *some* weaknesses. Use the next year to work on your papers and languages. Even medical and vet school applicants have to apply several times just to get in!

Also, as others have said, don't apply just to the top programs. Those schools are ranked internationally so there are a LOT of international applicants who have strong command of English and are fluent in their native languages, plus one more (thanks American educational system for disappointing us!). And I know that languages are pretty important in art history. I was JUST told by my UG adviser, who just realized this, that it may be in the future that Americans will need to set their sights a bit lower and/or apply for PhD abroad.

Professors are actually quite understanding of the whole situation that their programs have found themselves in. They would want to see you try again so don't consider yourself as a failure.

And, um, check out my signature.

You obviously don't know anything about Vanderbilt....it is actually a very good school across the board...and for my field, attending Vanderbilt wouldn't be fruitless...as it is one of the top in my field.

Well everything is subjective. I don't think I've ever seen Vanderbilt in the top 20 for any of the humanities. They have a great education program and a decent law school. I have friends at Vanderbilt and a lot of people in Virginia (who don't go to UVa or The College of William & Mary) flock to the southern charm of Vanderbilt or the international flair of Georgetown. With that said, for you, I would still choose any of the schools I mentioned in my previous post (UC Berkeley, UVa, Stanford, uChicago, most Ivies) over Vanderbilt for English. I don't know enough about other American universities, but of course UCL, Oxford and Cambridge have superior international reputations for English. Even a PhD-preparatory master's program at Georgetown, uChicago, UVa, or Columbia would be great; of these, Georgetown is probably the most generous with funding with 1/3 of their master's students receiving full tuition remission and some type of work-study aid.

I'm in economics, so this may not apply to Art History, but I feel that the biggest factor in determining admission to a Ph D program is the availability of an advisor, i.e. someone on the adcom who is willing to take you under their wing for 2-3 years while you write your dissertation. While a solid GRE and stellar transcripts help, these objective measures are used only for the first round of cuts, after that you really have to convince that faculty that your research interests are strongly allied with theirs. This is why you hear stories of kids getting rejected with 1600's in favor of applicants with much lower scores (that and the fact that GRE scores are not robust indicators of grad school performance). Therefore, my suggestion is make sure your SoP is outstanding, explain why you would fit in well with the faculty at each respective school, even call out professors by name writing "Working with faculty like Profs. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum presents an opportunity for a mutually beneficial research relationship blah blah blah..."

Hope this helps.

Don't worry too much! Take a year or so to beef up your apps! I applied right out of undergrad and interviewed a few places, but never got in anywhere. I also don't think I was ready, I didn't really know what I was interested in studying.. So this time around I applied to 7 places vs 8 last time, but really researched the programs and the fit I had with them. I got interviews 6/7 and got in everywhere I interviewed! Trust me, success can be just around the corner. During my time off I worked as an IRTA at NIH which was great, especially since it gave me great recommendations and a ton of research experience. I also took a few classes, but I don't think that meant nearly as much. Being an applicant that clearly knows what they want and how to get it is very appealing to a program because they know you will succeed and spend your life saying I got my PhD at ___. Don't give up and definitely re-apply! I don't know your fields well, but re-take the GRE if you think you need to. Very competitive programs in my field look for >80th percentiles in all categories.

I have a similar question regarding being rejected across the board. I've heard from numerous people that gaining research experience is a great way to improve your application. How do I go about looking for such opportunities? Where could I get a job as a Research Assistant? I'm a bit clueless as to where to begin. Thanks!

Wow, guys! :) Thanks so much! I'm overwhelmed (in a good way :D) by all of the support on this forum. I feel a lot better... Thanks so much for sharing your advice and stories :) I'll definitely be working on it! I have three languages. I just need German and then I'll have all my languages. I could probably improve my SoP somehow, but I'll have to brainstorm long and hard about that... As for professors, there were only three schools that were perfect fits, and two of them rejected me. The other is Yale. There are definitely other PhD programs in America that have professors whom I would love to work with, so this time around I'll be applying to work with them, too, at "mid-level" universities. Thanks SO much everyone! I feel like I was just given a Godiva chocolate cake with three layers of chocolate and chocolate shavings on top with candles on top... smile.gif

My two cents on the whole "top tier" school debate: for my field in the social sciences, half of the first tier schools are public, and I would actually consider at least two of the Ivies to be second tier rather than first, depending on where you draw that arbitrary line. Plus, as others have pointed out elsewhere, it's often better career-wise to be a rock star student at a second tier department than a mediocre student at a first tier one...

Anyway, moving on. I'm a second timer, and I've had a pretty successful run this year (if I do say so myself!). My advice is this: remember that the difference between undergrad and grad school is that you're moving from consuming scholarly knowledge to producing it. In terms of applications, this means that being an above average student is no longer enough: you'll want to show that you've progressed intellectually since graduating (i.e. that you can grow as a scholar even without the direct, hand-holding supervision of undergrad), and will continue to do so. Show that you've stayed engaged with the current literature and trends of your field, gotten relevant work or volunteer experience, maybe attended a conference or two. Use your SOP to pitch a well-formed research topic that is interesting, relevant, and actually realistic; remember, this topic won't be set in stone, so you're really just showing that you're capable of putting together a proposal. You don't need flash--god knows I'm not a flashy applicant!--but you do need to prove that you're a solid investment. Good luck!! biggrin.gif

Edited by space-cat

To add to what a few previous posters have said about so-called "top-tier" programs, I would recommend looking at job placement rates before you decide what that really means. At least in my humanities field, the placements for many of the more traditionally respected, higher-ranking programs has been less than stellar in recent years, while many less well known but more innovative programs have increasingly excellent results. When I applied this year, I really looked into placement rates, and I was incredibly surprised.

Like you, I applied the first time to only the most prestigious programs and was rejected across the board. This time I applied to a broader group, based on fit instead of rank. I've had more success this year than I expected or hoped for. I've even been considered by/accepted to programs that rejected me last year without a second thought. Why?

First of all, there are so many factors out of your control (other apps, funding, which profs are on the adcomm, etc), that simply applying at a different time does make a real difference. In terms of my app, I replaced one letter. A added one tiny credential to my CV. I scrapped my SOP and started from scratch, which I think made the real difference. I also made a better case for why each school was a good fit, and for how much I wanted to go there. Of course, it was much easier to say why I wanted to go to these schools because I'd done much more homework this time around.

I know so well how hard it is to face this kind of sweeping rejection. It sucks. But don't let it totally deflate your ego--you know you would be a benefit to any of these schools, you just need to refine your method of informing them of this. Be sad. Mourn for awhile. Consider alternative career paths, like becoming a beekeeper or trapeze artist. Then start thinking about next season, and how much better prepared you'll be, having gone through this process once already. Really.

And for amazingly awesome chocolate cake (and a distracting baking project), check this out:

DELICIOUSNESS

I don't think I've ever seen Vanderbilt in the top 20 for any of the humanities.

They're ranked as being one of the top programs for graduate placement in English, partly due to the innovative structure of their study plan. Also, they are widely considered to have the best program for African-American literature.

Of course the Ivy brand is going to minimize job-market stress to a degree, but program fit is key to success while completing graduate study. There are plenty of Ivy grads who are struggling to secure spots, and there are also several Ivy departments that lack the focus of some lower ranked programs. I was on a tenure track faculty search at a private liberal arts college and got to see firsthand several elite prospects bypassed for underdogs who demonstrated a better fit for what we needed. The trick, it seems, is to strike the balance between idealism and grim reality, and then make the most of what your particular program has to offer.

I know so well how hard it is to face this kind of sweeping rejection. It sucks. But don't let it totally deflate your ego--you know you would be a benefit to any of these schools, you just need to refine your method of informing them of this. Be sad. Mourn for awhile. Consider alternative career paths, like becoming a beekeeper or trapeze artist. Then start thinking about next season, and how much better prepared you'll be, having gone through this process once already. Really.

Although I'm very fortunate not to be in the same position as the OP, this paragraph is still applicable to my experience in other areas; it really made my day. Thank you.

Anyway, moving on. I'm a second timer, and I've had a pretty successful run this year (if I do say so myself!). My advice is this: remember that the difference between undergrad and grad school is that you're moving from consuming scholarly knowledge to producing it. In terms of applications, this means that being an above average student is no longer enough: you'll want to show that you've progressed intellectually since graduating (i.e. that you can grow as a scholar even without the direct, hand-holding supervision of undergrad), and will continue to do so. Show that you've stayed engaged with the current literature and trends of your field, gotten relevant work or volunteer experience, maybe attended a conference or two. Use your SOP to pitch a well-formed research topic that is interesting, relevant, and actually realistic; remember, this topic won't be set in stone, so you're really just showing that you're capable of putting together a proposal. You don't need flash--god knows I'm not a flashy applicant!--but you do need to prove that you're a solid investment. Good luck!! biggrin.gif

That's awesome advice! I don't think I did enough of that in my SoP this time - talk about how I would produce knowledge. I have an entire notebook at home full of article, book, dissertation, etc. ideas for my field and I write papers in my spare time... I'm pretty much obsessed with finding ways to re-examine art and artists' lives. I have a lot more that I maybe should have said to "sell" myself as a promising scholar. I did talk about my research interests and talked about my experience researching and coming up with ideas about artists that I want to focus on. And now that I've been rejected from all these schools, I know specifically why I want to go to them. Something about being rejected made me scour their websites... sadistic, I guess. "Hmm, why would I have loved this school to death?" :P

Thanks so much!!! smile.gif

Oh, and hang in there, cokohlik! It's not over yet, and even if it doesn't work out this time, you now have so much more knowledge about this process than you had a few months ago.

Thank you! You're absolutely right.

To add to what a few previous posters have said about so-called "top-tier" programs, I would recommend looking at job placement rates before you decide what that really means. At least in my humanities field, the placements for many of the more traditionally respected, higher-ranking programs has been less than stellar in recent years, while many less well known but more innovative programs have increasingly excellent results. When I applied this year, I really looked into placement rates, and I was incredibly surprised.

Like you, I applied the first time to only the most prestigious programs and was rejected across the board. This time I applied to a broader group, based on fit instead of rank. I've had more success this year than I expected or hoped for. I've even been considered by/accepted to programs that rejected me last year without a second thought. Why?

First of all, there are so many factors out of your control (other apps, funding, which profs are on the adcomm, etc), that simply applying at a different time does make a real difference. In terms of my app, I replaced one letter. A added one tiny credential to my CV. I scrapped my SOP and started from scratch, which I think made the real difference. I also made a better case for why each school was a good fit, and for how much I wanted to go there. Of course, it was much easier to say why I wanted to go to these schools because I'd done much more homework this time around.

And for amazingly awesome chocolate cake (and a distracting baking project), check this out:

DELICIOUSNESS

OMG! You're amazing! Look at that cake!!! We're slowly getting our registry items in the mail, so I'm totally going to have the tools necessary to make that incredible cake here soon... gahhh. I wish there was a place near my work that sold chocolate cake.

Also: I love your post. I cried. :) I feel like checking into a hotel room by the ocean and getting all my crying done and singing '90s breakup music at the top of my lungs (grief process ;)) Seriously, though... I do love your post. I took a screenshot of it with my phone so I can re-read it.