Anyone else getting depressed?

Benzene

I definitely feel that. My professors were positive that I would get into all of my schools, they told me this so often that I began to believe it. Why would they fill me with false hope? So far two rejections and pretty sure the third is on its way. Oh,and two of my professors are friends with the profs that I named as my POI at the schools that rejected me. I feel so lied to.

Wow, they told you you'd get into ALL of your schools? That was kind of an irresponsible thing for them to say to you. Even in good years—even when state budgets aren't in the toilet, when the economy isn't bringing in more applicants than before, yadda yadda yadda—that's just a silly thing to promise you. The PhD process is just full of so many arbitrary decisions and unknowns...applications can get lost, maybe one reviewer's had a bad day, maybe you're a kicka$$ applicant but you aren't as good a fit as the next applicant, even though your GPA was higher.... Basically, if I was an adviser, I'd never tell a student that!

(This is also a really long way of saying that although it's really hard to take rejections personally, try to remember that there are so many weird variables involved with the process and that it may not be the strength of your application involved, here, especially if you applied to really competitive programs. Chin up!)

So glad to find this thread. I was really starting to feel like a crazy person, I go through like 15 emotions in rapid succession waiting to hear if the only school that interviewed me has any interest. I want to be able to keep breathing through the email notification sound my phone makes.

I feel like I'm moving through the stages of grief, haha. Still waiting on the four schools, but I've moved on to acceptance. I prefer to remain pessimistic, really, and it's allowed me to move from stressing about this process to absolutely freaking about getting my master's thesis done. Yay.

I had been doing fine, keeping a level head, reminding myself how competitive all the programs I'm applying to are, but getting rejected today from my safety school definitely hurts and is making the depression and irritability hard to stave off. Two schools left to hear from... sigh.