Anyone else getting depressed?

Benzene

I've been rejected from 5 of nine programs. Two of the remaining it's unlikely I will get into. The other two, maybe, but I haven't had any contact whatsoever. Today my class was cancelled and there's no work in the lab, so there's not much to do with myself. Being alone with my thoughts isn't very nice...I've spent the whole day wondering, what if I don't get in anywhere this year? Or the next? When do I give up? What if I'm just not meant to be a professor?

Since there are those 4 schools left, I know it's premature to be so down...but I can't help it. With only one quarter left of my MA (two if I don't get accepted anywhere) there's only so much I can do to improve my chances for next year. My undergrad GPA is unchangeable, my graduate one is fantastic, my GREs are good. There are no bigshots to write me letters at this school. My advisor liked my SOP, and doesn't understand my lack of acceptances...I applied to programs ranging from top 20 down to about 150, so it's not like I'm being sad over not getting into a bunch of Ivies or anything.

I'm trying to brainstorm ways to improve my application - try to publish, more posters, take the Psychology GRE, maybe even retake the general, but I'm starting to wonder what to do if it's not enough.

Anyone else in the same boat? Misery loves company!

Hi Benzene,

As you said, it's not over yet. If it's any consolation to you, I got interviews from my top choices and got rejected by my safeties --I am still waiting for the results--. The two programs that you said are unlikely for you may very well be your likeliest to get into!

The waiting is hard. I know, I am swallowing it right now. B)

I applied to 5 schools...some were slightly reaches but all in all they were not unreasonable...Now as March is trucking along and I have no acceptances yet I don't know what to think!

I know it is not over yet but I feel like my freak out is right around the corner...Doesn't help that my mother's 'clairvoyant' friend says I'll get in. Oh gee, thanks. Are you sure Jupiter is in alignment with Telesto and not Calypso? AAHHHHHHH I"LL BE LIVING IN A BOX ON THE STREET

tumblr_lhrhwv4kba1qd3ppyo1_400.gif

Edited by Langoustine

I too got rejected from my safeties and got interviews with my top choices. And after three interviews, I got one rejection, one decision still pending since 1 and a half month (from the interview) and the third one also pending. Moreover, I cannot get any more research ex. as its not possible for undergrads in my country..looks like I'm gonna be in big trouble ( and all that with a 1600GRE and very good GPA) . But lets hope for the best.

Yes, this whole process has me bouncing between happily hopeful, anxious, and then depressed. I had no idea it was going to be so stressful. Everything was all fun and games until I submitted my first application because at that moment it was out of my hands forever.

I'm anxious too. I have applied to 10 programs but heard from none, except 1 interview on cold-call which made me depressed. I believe that 1 interview may lead to a rejection. The others are still in desperate silence.

The problem is that if this year I don't get admitted, it is not likely that I'll try another year and almost for sure I'll go to industry. Sad. Hope I'll get admitted somewhere.

Count me in the depression boat. Today I was informed there is no funding for me, so unless a miracle occurs (even if some people decline the offers, I am not eligible for that kind of funding) or I sell *both* of my kidneys, I am mostly rejected :(

Count me in the depression boat. Today I was informed there is no funding for me, so unless a miracle occurs (even if some people decline the offers, I am not eligible for that kind of funding) or I sell *both* of my kidneys, I am mostly rejected :(

That is something I am afraid of....acceptance without funding. I don't think I will have to worry too much about it however since my super safety school just told me no thanks, which doesn't leave me with much hope for the better schools. Plus when I emailed one of my professors who had written me a LoR to tell them how it was going (two rejections and dead silence from everyone else) they never answered me back....so I am definitely feeling like I will never get into grad school.:(

That is something I am afraid of....acceptance without funding. I don't think I will have to worry too much about it however since my super safety school just told me no thanks, which doesn't leave me with much hope for the better schools. Plus when I emailed one of my professors who had written me a LoR to tell them how it was going (two rejections and dead silence from everyone else) they never answered me back....so I am definitely feeling like I will never get into grad school.:(

Same feeling. This is my second time, I am so embarrassed to inform my LoR writers that the odds of me going to grad school this year are very slim. Not sure if I could apply next year, it seems I will have to get a real world job.

(btw, I also applied to an anthropology program)

I've been rejected from 5 of nine programs. Two of the remaining it's unlikely I will get into. The other two, maybe, but I haven't had any contact whatsoever. Today my class was cancelled and there's no work in the lab, so there's not much to do with myself. Being alone with my thoughts isn't very nice...I've spent the whole day wondering, what if I don't get in anywhere this year? Or the next? When do I give up? What if I'm just not meant to be a professor?

Since there are those 4 schools left, I know it's premature to be so down...but I can't help it. With only one quarter left of my MA (two if I don't get accepted anywhere) there's only so much I can do to improve my chances for next year. My undergrad GPA is unchangeable, my graduate one is fantastic, my GREs are good. There are no bigshots to write me letters at this school. My advisor liked my SOP, and doesn't understand my lack of acceptances...I applied to programs ranging from top 20 down to about 150, so it's not like I'm being sad over not getting into a bunch of Ivies or anything.

I'm trying to brainstorm ways to improve my application - try to publish, more posters, take the Psychology GRE, maybe even retake the general, but I'm starting to wonder what to do if it's not enough.

Anyone else in the same boat? Misery loves company!

Totally in the same boat with you. I applied to 11 schools and have 3 known rejections. I am 100% sure I have 5 more rejections on the way (even though I have heard nothing from them). I am on one wait list that I know about (and that will probably lead to hopes being raised only to crash down). The other 2 left, I can only hope that I am on a wait list for them. More than likely, I am in the same spot a year from now.

Even though I have been relatively successful in my admissions, I am still depressed. I know that I will be moving to an as of now unknown new city where I have no friends, no family, and will be immersed in a totally new experience. All of the excitement and tension of cramming one more item on my CV is over and I am coasting through classes during my last semester. I am apprehensive and bored at the same time. I have been sleeping a lot lately, my appetite is somewhere near zero, and I am suffering from a terrible sense of ennui. I am literally depressed over this change of life that is happening. My only consolation is that I know that things will eventually pick up. Right now is just awful, though, especially since I am waiting with bated breath from my dream school.

Same feeling. This is my second time, I am so embarrassed to inform my LoR writers that the odds of me going to grad school this year are very slim. Not sure if I could apply next year, it seems I will have to get a real world job.

The thank-you note I'll be writing to my LoR writers:

"thanks for writing me a recommendation letter. Thanks to your recommendation, I have been able to accept a position researching retail economics under the supervision of the shift manager at __ (insert local grocery store name)"

After investing so much in my plans for graduate school (this year and since high school), I can't bring myself to start looking for a job.

I am kind of depressed to, and in a weird way. I am mourning the loss of my huge book collection (since I am sure in my next apartment in my new life I will not have a bookshelf). I am thinking I will never, ever have a friend when I graduate from my MA program and move on (because there is no Facebook). I imagine that my dream school, which has not yet rejected me is in fact dancing on my application at this very minute and laughing at the thought that I would apply to THEIR program. I am also mad at myself for being excited that I MAY go to my dream school, even though I don't know yet. And I am utterly convinced that if I am rejected from my dream school, I will never, ever find a job and people will mock me in the street (perhaps I will be forced to wear a dunce hat so others can see my shame!)

All these things are going through my head, and until December when I started the application process, I thought myself a sane person.

I just keep reminding myself that this is a terrible job market and that the added money stresses are everyone's stresses. And that I need to give myself a break! No matter what happens with this cycle, I am graduating, getting a new apartment, new set of friends, and will have a drastically new life in a few months. I am just scared!

Bookshelves are overrated. I keep my books in stacks. I have had several compliments on the tottering stacks of books that I keep around my apartment. You should try it!

I am kind of depressed to, and in a weird way. I am mourning the loss of my huge book collection (since I am sure in my next apartment in my new life I will not have a bookshelf). I am thinking I will never, ever have a friend when I graduate from my MA program and move on (because there is no Facebook). I imagine that my dream school, which has not yet rejected me is in fact dancing on my application at this very minute and laughing at the thought that I would apply to THEIR program. I am also mad at myself for being excited that I MAY go to my dream school, even though I don't know yet. And I am utterly convinced that if I am rejected from my dream school, I will never, ever find a job and people will mock me in the street (perhaps I will be forced to wear a dunce hat so others can see my shame!)

All these things are going through my head, and until December when I started the application process, I thought myself a sane person.

I just keep reminding myself that this is a terrible job market and that the added money stresses are everyone's stresses. And that I need to give myself a break! No matter what happens with this cycle, I am graduating, getting a new apartment, new set of friends, and will have a drastically new life in a few months. I am just scared!

"thanks for writing me a recommendation letter. Thanks to your recommendation, I have been able to accept a position researching retail economics under the supervision of the shift manager at __ (insert local grocery store name)"

After investing so much in my plans for graduate school (this year and since high school), I can't bring myself to start looking for a job.

I'm not looking forward to replying to my LoR writers. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and to make matters worse, they were all so sure I'd get in! :(

Edited by PrettyVacant

I'm not looking forward to this moment either.

From all the people telling me I'll get in, the LoR writers are the worst. They KNOW it's a tough competition, and that I'll have to break them the bad news at some point.

But you know what, they created the embarrassing situation by saying I'm definitely in - let THEM feel bad about it when I find out I'm not.

We don't have anything to be ashamed of by not getting accepted, and maybe next time they'll be more careful with their statements...

Err... I wish I has some answers already so I don't have to speculate about letting other people down.

I have a bunch of high achieving LoR writers which is making this the worst year ever, they all got in the first time and the one who won't write back got into Harvard right off the bat, so I don't think they understand much.

From all the people telling me I'll get in, the LoR writers are the worst. They KNOW it's a tough competition.

Actually many of them don't. The situation is very different from when many of our professors were applying. Unless one of your writers went through this process themselves within the last 3 to 5 years, there's a very strong chance that they have no idea just how competitive grad school admission has become. Many of my writers are just now finding out how tough the situation is through the rejections their students are receiving.

But you know what, they created the embarrassing situation by saying I'm definitely in - let THEM feel bad about it when I find out I'm not.

Were they on the admission committees of the programs you applied to? Otherwise how do they have the ability to tell you that you're definitely into a program?

I'm not trying to be a ass, and I understand that you're blowing off steam, but if you truly feel that it's their fault for promising you a spot in a program, you should express to them exactly why you feel it's their fault in the words that you're using here. Maybe then they could share with you their viewpoint as to why they feel that they are not to blame, and some clearer perspectives about the process would be gained for both parties.

This is a tough situation for us all, but if you're basing your acceptance on promises made by people that you know have no power to grant those promises, then I think the blame might be misplaced. Good luck, and hang in there!

I've been postponing my thank you letters to my LoR profs 'cause I have this fantasy of giving them some awesome news....so far it's 3 rejections, 1 waitlist, and 2 have been silent. Wondering if I should just give them the thank you letters or hold out for some confirmations.

I've been postponing my thank you letters to my LoR profs 'cause I have this fantasy of giving them some awesome news....so far it's 3 rejections, 1 waitlist, and 2 have been silent. Wondering if I should just give them the thank you letters or hold out for some confirmations.

I have been doing the same thing, but I have talked to them in person and let them know of 'no progress made'. So, I think I am going to send out on Monday even if I can't be happy about it!