Storrs, CT

Guest Guest

Congrats! What program are you going into? 

For housing it looks like there actually is a pretty good selection as long as your willing to commute 15 minutes or so everyday. I'm used to that so no big deal. I like Willimantic, seems like a cool town and I've at least found one apartment complex in my price range that would fit my needs. If you go through all the older posts you'll find quite a bit of info. There is also some more info about UCONN in the Meet and Greet section.

I was just notified of my acceptance into the MA History program at UConn. I am still waiting on a few more applications but as of right now, UConn is my top choice. I know absolutely nothing about Storrs or the surrounding area. 

Congrats! What program are you going into? 

For housing it looks like there actually is a pretty good selection as long as your willing to commute 15 minutes or so everyday. I'm used to that so no big deal. I like Willimantic, seems like a cool town and I've at least found one apartment complex in my price range that would fit my needs. If you go through all the older posts you'll find quite a bit of info. There is also some more info about UCONN in the Meet and Greet section.

Thanks =]. I've been accepted into the PhD program for Political Science.

I've been looking at all of the posts about UConn and I have heard Willimantic come up a few times, it does seem like a pretty nice place to live.

Thanks for the info =]

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't find any useful information about transportation in connecticut... schedules, costs ....

I want to live in manchester while I'm studying in UCONN. I don't have any car.

how can I travel 30 km everyday and how much does it cost to me?

Thanks in advace.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the current going rate for places around UConn? I'm still deciding, but it is in my final 2.

I'm currious as to where people live and how much rent/utitlites would be per month? Perhaps somewhere within biking distance?

• 11 months later...

One visit to Storrs was enough to make my decision. Good luck.

In a good way or bad way (if you don't mind my asking)? I'm probably going to visit in the next two weeks so I'll see for myself, but I like to hear other's thoughts too.

In a good way or bad way (if you don't mind my asking)? I'm probably going to visit in the next two weeks so I'll see for myself, but I like to hear other's thoughts too.

I'd have to say bad. But, this is based on my preferences. It seems the locals around the University lobbied against the University developing a city around the institution. This has resulted in the University being built in a pasture with nothing around it, at all, for like 15 miles in all directions. As previous individuals have noted, people make due by living in surrounding cities. I didn't like that, but also the particular department I visited was pretty down-trodden. It just wasn't somewhere I wanted to spend the next 4-6 years. For a Masters, I would have considered it more. People always argue that research is more important. But, to me my living situation has to be a positive one as well, or I won't succeed. I didn't see my self being too happy living there and therefore I didn't think that was a good atmosphere for success. 

Edited by DigDeep

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this up. Anyone living there now or been there recently? I'm in the process of deciding on schools, and UConn looks really nice.

Hello,

I'm finishing up my first year at UConn (PhD Program). If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability (if you haven't already decided to go elsewhere =] ). 

Hello,

I'm finishing up my first year at UConn (PhD Program). If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability (if you haven't already decided to go elsewhere =] ). 

You are awesome :) I did decide on UConn! I got to visit recently, so I sort of got an idea of the area... but not really. The biggest thing is finding an apartment online. I've asked grad students about typical areas they live in, but the more info the better!

I've heard Willington isn't bad and it's not too far of a commute. I'd like to try and stay under 20 minutes of driving to campus, but my priorities are lower rent and pets allowed (would like to get a dog or cat) so I know I have to be flexible with location :)

Thanks!

You are awesome :) I did decide on UConn! I got to visit recently, so I sort of got an idea of the area... but not really. The biggest thing is finding an apartment online. I've asked grad students about typical areas they live in, but the more info the better!

I've heard Willington isn't bad and it's not too far of a commute. I'd like to try and stay under 20 minutes of driving to campus, but my priorities are lower rent and pets allowed (would like to get a dog or cat) so I know I have to be flexible with location :)

Thanks!

Yay! Welcome to UConn! What's your program?

It sounds like you have a car, so you have more options than you would otherwise.

I know some students live in Vernon, Manchester, Stafford Springs, and Hartford as well as Willington. Hartford tends to be pricier because its the city, and its a bit of a drive. I've heard good things about Vernon as well, but I don't have any personal experiences to draw from.

A lot of students live in Willimantic, myself included, because there is a bus line to campus. Even though you have a car, you should be aware that parking is a nightmare here, so having the option to take the bus sometimes could be an advantage. However, Willimantic is a lower income area, I'm sure you are aware with some of the issues that go along with that. Overall I like Willimantic, but there is not a ton of stuff to do. There is a nice legitimate non-Starbucks coffee shop/cafe and an awesome microbrewery (great food and beer). Willimantic is also only about 5 miles from campus as well, so the commute's pretty good.

You might want to check out Colonial Townhouse Apartments (Its in Willimantic/Mansfield). I only suggest this place because I know they do allow pets (with deposit) and the rent is pretty reasonable (750 for 1bd). You've probably already found this, but I found my apartment using the uconn off campus housing finder (http://www.offcampushousing.uconn.edu/). I would recommend starting there to see the most commonly populated areas/available places to rent.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm going for I/O Psych :)

Thank you so, so much for all of the info! I do have a car, but I totally agree with you about using the bus occasionally. While I'm looking at Vernon and Manchester right now, it's good to hear some nice things about Willimantic! Lots of places to consider :)

Still waiting for my official transcript to get to UConn, so I should have my student login stuff for the Off Campus Housing site soon once admissions is finalized.

Sorry to bombard you with questions! I really appreciate the help. From what you've heard or experienced, do places tend to fill up really quickly?

I'm going for I/O Psych :)

Thank you so, so much for all of the info! I do have a car, but I totally agree with you about using the bus occasionally. While I'm looking at Vernon and Manchester right now, it's good to hear some nice things about Willimantic! Lots of places to consider :)

Still waiting for my official transcript to get to UConn, so I should have my student login stuff for the Off Campus Housing site soon once admissions is finalized.

Sorry to bombard you with questions! I really appreciate the help. From what you've heard or experienced, do places tend to fill up really quickly?

No need to thank me, I remember how difficult it was to figure out the details of the move.

For the off-campus housing finder, I believe you can sign up for the site as an incoming student, you just choose "guest" rather than "UConn Student" under the sign up options.  

Something to be aware of in terms of how quickly places fill up, the university announced a few weeks ago that they would no longer be providing on campus housing for graduate students. Not a lot of graduate students choose to live on campus, but removing the ones who otherwise would choose to do so will make the housing market a little more competitive. In my experience, most incoming students won't start moving to the area until closer to the end of the summer. Moving out a little bit sooner (if possible) would help you beat the rush.

Also, another potential housing option is The Oaks on the Square (http://www.theoaksonthesquare.com/index.php/prop/home). These units are very close to campus (walking distance close), in Storrs Center where all the construction is currently going on. I personally think they are too expensive, but I thought I would let you know just in case you were interested. 

Again, feel free to ask me any questions. I had a lot of help from various graduate students and professors that made my move out here a lot easier than it would have been otherwise, so I really try to help out other students whenever I can.

Yeah, I heard about the grad housing shutting down. Interesting... Hopefully it won't add too much competition. I'll try to move out sooner!

What's the parking situtation like? Most of the grad students I talked to said they paid around $400 bucks for a year long pass to the garage. Yikes!

Also, what's the university like in general? I got to take a tour, but you only see/hear so much on a late Friday afternoon.

What are some things you wish you knew before moving out there?

Hey I'm from ct and went to eastern for my undergrad- I commuted to eastern(which is in Willi) from Norwich. I would second some of the warnings about willimantic not being the most ideal place to live. There are a few aspects about the city which are less than desirable. The surrounding area all the way up to storrs though is lovely. Lots of farmland, hikin spots, antique shops, etc. uconn also has an off campus hortocultural center which not too many people know about. I think they offer a master gardener's program.

My recommendation would be to check out shared room/ housing on Craigslist and investigate from there. Not sure what the public transportation is like.

I think it is a beautiful area, and like most of ct there are many wonderful things if you know what you're looking for and you don't mind that they are spread out. Plus, you're pretty close to most cities. Hartford is cool for a day or two- great brewery (city steam) and one of the best art museums- the wadsworth atheneum. And you'll be about an hour or two outside of new haven- and there's tons to do there.

Good luck in your search! I'm sure you'll find the area beautiful ( check out the legend of the frog bridge in willimantic!!) and if you do choose to live in Willi, I strongly recommend searching outside the inner city and area surrounding eastern.

Yeah, I heard about the grad housing shutting down. Interesting... Hopefully it won't add too much competition. I'll try to move out sooner!

What's the parking situtation like? Most of the grad students I talked to said they paid around $400 bucks for a year long pass to the garage. Yikes!

Also, what's the university like in general? I got to take a tour, but you only see/hear so much on a late Friday afternoon.

What are some things you wish you knew before moving out there?

The parking situation is terrible. I don't have a car, but I have heard horror stories from my office-mates, roommates, and even from faculty. There are two parking garages on campus, so you could pay by the hour if you won't be on campus every day, but the price adds up quickly. It's especially rough in the winter when the snow starts crowding out the parking spaces when it gets plowed. 

Generally, the university is a nice place to be. The campus is especially gorgeous in the fall when the leaves start to change colors, and the lakes on campus are very beautiful. There's something like 22,000 students here, so its usually pretty busy in common areas such as the co-op and student union. There are a few bars on campus, but they are usually overrun by undergrads so go at your own risk :). We also have an awesome Dairy Bar that makes amazing ice cream. As Starsandsound said, the surrounding area is very beautiful. The view from Horsebarn Hill is amazing, and its right next to the Dairy Bar, so you can have awesome ice cream while enjoying the view. 

Some things I wish I knew before I moved here...hmm. Pack warm weather clothes. I was told how cold it could get up here, but I was still unprepared for this past winter. Invest in a quality pair of snow boots and be prepared to layer. This may be a non-issue if your already living in a cold climate, but its still good to know. They don't always do a great job of shoveling/scraping the ice, just a heads up!

You can reserve a private study space in the library at the beginning of the semester if you find it difficult to get work done at home/in your office. 

The area is very rural, which makes getting around difficult/expensive. If you like going to different restaurants regularly/having easy access to various social activities not related to campus, then you should definitely consider moving to a more urban area like Hartford.

Starsandsound is right about some of the less than desireable parts of Willimantic. If you end up moving to Willi, I would second starsandsounds recommendation of looking for places outside of the inner-city. The place I mentioned before (Colonial Townhouse Apartments) is on the outskirts of Willimantic, and there are a few other apartment complexes surrounding that one as well. I've also heard positive things about 560 on Main, but have no personal experience to draw from. Even if you don't move to Willi, I highly recommend checking out the Willimantic Brewing Company on Main St. They have awesome beer and the food is really good too (make sure to try the beer butter). Sorry if this seems biased in Willimantic's favor, its just the only place I'm really familiar with.

Hope this is helpful! Again, let me know if you have any other questions and I would be happy to answer them.

Do grad students from different departments ever meet up? Are there group events? (for what little free time there is, haha)

If anyone has any info on Manchester or Vernon, I'm looking at apartments there (mostly). I hear there are some bad parts of Manchester? I'm emailing the current grad students in my program for more info, but it doesn't hurt to ask everyone!

I'm trying to think of other questions... I'm sure more will pop up.

Again, I appreciate the responses from everyone!