Anyone here interested in studying/already studying Second Language Acquisition (SLA)? If yes to either, where and why there? Are you studying in Linguistics departments, Applied Linguistics depts., or Second Language Studies depts. (or somewhere else I'm unaware of)...

I'm also curious to know if there are any SLAists out there who would like to take a stab at making a top ten of places to study SLA.

I don't do SLA myself. I've only taken a course related to that at McGill. The department of linguistics at McGill would be a great place to go if you're interested in SLA. Lydia White specializes in L2 acquisition of syntax and Heather Goad also works on (L2) acquisition of phonology. Not to mention both of them are very nice. A few students work on related topics, e.g. L2 acquisition of stress. The department also collaborates frequently with the department of psychology and the school of communication sciences here. If you're also interested in neurolinguistics, there's Grodzinsky and a few neuropsychologists in the MNI (although some of them work more on aphasia). It's a very vibrant community.

Anyone here interested in studying/already studying Second Language Acquisition (SLA)? If yes to either, where and why there? Are you studying in Linguistics departments, Applied Linguistics depts., or Second Language Studies depts. (or somewhere else I'm unaware of)...

I'm also curious to know if there are any SLAists out there who would like to take a stab at making a top ten of places to study SLA.

I applied to the Applied Linguistics department at York U in Toronto. The program has a strong focus on SLA and bilingualism. I'm a huge fan of Susan Ehrlich and Peter Avery's research, and since they are both at York U, my decision was a no-brainer. If you're interested, here's a list of the faculty and their research interests: http://www.yorku.ca/...ng/faculty.html

Edited by PrettyVacant

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Me! :) I will be doing SLA/Applied Linguistics, particularly Spanish and heritage speakers. There are some GREAT professors of SLA in Georgetown, Carnegie Mellon, UIUC, and UMD. I know UHawaii also has an excellent program. My mentor from my MA graduated from Georgetown Spanish Linguistics (where I will be attending) with SLA and she loved it.

What are you interested in doing, exactly? I am also very interested in conducting research with task-based teaching/learning and conversational interactions (I'm presenting my paper on precisely that this weekend in Boston at the AAAL).

If you're still interested, PM me to give you info on internships at the Center for Applied Linguistic in DC (I worked there last summer and loved it)!

Me! :) I will be doing SLA/Applied Linguistics, particularly Spanish and heritage speakers. There are some GREAT professors of SLA in Georgetown, Carnegie Mellon, UIUC, and UMD. I know UHawaii also has an excellent program. My mentor from my MA graduated from Georgetown Spanish Linguistics (where I will be attending) with SLA and she loved it.

What are you interested in doing, exactly? I am also very interested in conducting research with task-based teaching/learning and conversational interactions (I'm presenting my paper on precisely that this weekend in Boston at the AAAL).

If you're still interested, PM me to give you info on internships at the Center for Applied Linguistic in DC (I worked there last summer and loved it)!

I spent a weekend at DC and just loved the area! I am sure you will learn/enjoy a lot during your time at Georgetown!

I am in the process of making a decision but I am likely to end up with U of AZ as they have a great SLA program which is interdisciplinary (more than 10 departments, 70+ faculty). I know some people prefer small programs but I have a wide variety of interests, so it will be amazing to have lots of alternatives for choosing a minor!

I am specifically interested in the implementation of educational technologies into L2 learning/teaching settings and I am currently working on a project in which pre-service teachers are using a microblogging website to develop community service projects and I'm focusing on the online collaborative learning side of the project ;)

Boston is truly amazing and it must be really exciting to present at AAAL!! I wish you the best luck!

(PM on the way!)

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, what unis would you recommend for a PhD in SLA? As far as Ive seen, the only ones that focus on SLA are Carnegie, Maryland and Georgetown. Im really not interested in studying linguistics or teaching, but in language acquisition theories and research. It sems to me that most unis just add a course or two in SLA to the program and call it an SLA program. Thanks for your help!

• 6 months later...

Hi guys! I'm new here but I have been using the result search database since last year ( unfortunately I was only accepted by one school and I chose not to attend). I also have questions about SLA/AL programs in the states. So far I have applied for several prestigious schools and I'm working on applications for Maryland, Penn State, but I'm apprehensive about the results.. Can anyone give me some advice on strengthening my applications? I have a low GRE score of V154,Q159,AW4.5. How greatly will this affect me? 

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this topic, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in. I'm personally interested in SLA/Psycholinguistics and chose to apply to a crop of schools that suited that specific cross section. I list the programs that I applied to that have a strength in those areas:

1. UIUC

2. U of Pitt

3. IU at Bloomington

4. U of Kansas

5. CUNY

6. UMass

7. Georgetown

I've been accepted to the first five of those schools, and am waiting to hear back from the last two (and quite probably assuming rejection). Anyone else here have a background/interest in these areas? I'd love to talk to others with similar interests!

Hi I am new!

I am finishing my MA in Applied, and so, applied only to PhD only programs.

I applied to U of Arizona SLAT (my top choice)

University of Maryland - College Park (interview with them on Monday)

University of California, Davis (linguistics program not SLA)

I am primarily interested in L1 transfer in grammar, Universal Grammar, CREED, and literacy of non Latin-alphabets. 

UA SLAT is a great program! I wanted to apply there but I'm coming straight from undergrad and didn't want to get a terminal masters before a PhD... same with Hawaii at Mano'a. Keep me updated when you hear back from your schools! :)

UA SLAT is a great program! I wanted to apply there but I'm coming straight from undergrad and didn't want to get a terminal masters before a PhD... same with Hawaii at Mano'a. Keep me updated when you hear back from your schools! :)

Yeah SLAT is amazing! It's my first choice.  Keep me posted on you schools as well. I am going to add you :)