Still in shock...

Amalia222

Hi all! Well, it all happened today. I clicked on "send" with the email that determined the next five years of my life. "I am writing to accept the offer of admission...."

It's an amazing feeling, but also terrifying. I'm moving out of State, away from my family, for the next 5 years or more. It's a huge, HUGE change in my life. I don't know a single soul in the whole state. Anybody else have post-acceptance "hit with a ton of bricks" feelings?

I have different story. The professor I want to work with (and vice versa) actually emailed me (on top of few phone calls and other emails) and asked how were things going. I was waiting for other schools... most of which were backups. Reading his email was really comforting as he clearly wanted me. So I signed the formal letter, sent it the same day, and also emailed him. Of course, knowing that I will be living one of the most important sections of my life at a place entirely new, where I know no other single soul (just like you said), was/is somewhat scary, and nerve-wrecking. But the feeling of 'I'm done with this hellish application/admission process' is very warm and soothing. I am also hit by some 'bricks' as this whole thing is intimidating. But this is also supposed to be the cornerstone of our careers. Right? So I think we need to leave the shock behind and move on as mighty grad students! :)

I havent yet responded to my program of choice; but, I think I know where I am going. I also dont know anyone in the city where I'll be attending grad school. Well, I know someone, but she's swamped with a new baby and all. She hasnt responded to my emails. This is a big change in my life and being scared is a natural reaction to that. I am afraid about many things; mostly about things going the wrong way. I just kept telling myself that I'll be fine and will do fantastic works during my PhD ;)

With that being said, I am very overwhelmed about the moving process: finding an apartment, settling in, getting to know the town, etc.

I am definitely feeling the reality of what's going to be happening in August! I will be moving to a whole new country on the other side of the world, and the number of people I know in the US can fit on one hand.

I think scared/excited best describes me right about now.

I am definitely feeling the reality of what's going to be happening in August! I will be moving to a whole new country on the other side of the world, and the number of people I know in the US can fit on one hand.

well, if you're ever in Texas, you can come say "howdy" hehe!!! I have lived in several foreign countries, and it's weird but it never felt so important as this does. Those were just teaching jobs for a year or two, but this is my....well, future! So I go through alternating feelings of elation and terror. But I am also thrilled to have made it through the applications gauntlet. My GREs were about to expire, I had no employment prospects, and my Plan B was nonexistant. But I know how you feel moving to a foreign country. Luckily for you, the US has a lot of similarities with NZ, and at least we speak the same language! You'll probably only miss the food, because as far as what my kiwi and ozzie friends tell me, the food here sucks. Expect to gain the freshman 15!!!

I understand the whole "living in a new country" thing too, and it's definitely intimidating but SO worthwhile!!! And congrats to you on being brave enough to get out of your comfort zone and attend a school somewhere totally new!

I'm also going through the post-acceptance shock right now. I heard back on Thursday that I was accepted to my top choice school (it was overwhelmingly exciting; I never had a top choice when I was applying to undergrad and didn't visit schools until after I had applied and heard back, so it felt great to hear that my top school wanted me as much as I wanted them)! I'll be moving to a new state where I know NOBODY...not only do I not know anyone in my grad program, or at the school, but the few people I do know in that state are either people I graduated from high school with back in '06 and haven't talked to in forever, or they have very busy lives and are nowhere near the city I'll be living in. Plus, I've spent me entire life living in the northeast USA (New York, and college in Boston), so moving to the south is both exhilarating and intimidating. People keep telling me to expect a culture shock, but not going into deeper into it than that. I guess the thing that's been helping me deal with the "moving to a new place" jitters is that I've done that twice before, and it's always turned out well. When I went to undergrad I moved from NY to Boston and knew about 3 people at my college, though none were good friends, and everything turned out fine. I also studied abroad in Greece for a semester and that was even scarier - I literally knew nobody in the program, barely spoke any Greek, had no idea what the school was like, didn't know what our apartments would be like, had never been to the country before (or anywhere in Europe other than London), etc. It ended up being the best experience of my life and I made some life-long friends! Anytime I get nervous about moving to the south and not knowing anybody, I just remind myself of Greece and how fantastically it turned out, and I know that this will turn out to be just as great. I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people who are in the same boat as me, and are new grad students who don't know anybody and are hoping to meet new people and explore a new city!

You know some of us!! (sort of)

What state are you moving to? I'm sure some of the Grad Cafe regulars will be nearby.

In my case, it's a smooth in-state transition, and my sister lives in the city to which I'm moving. Also I only had one offer, and it was to one of my top-choice programs, so the decision was easy and innocuous.

That doesn't change the fact that it's a life-changing decision, and I have a lot of work to do (and inevitable hardships) for the next five years. In that sense, I'm also in shock. But it's an exciting kind of shock, because I know this is exactly what I want to do with my life. Everything is going exactly as I had planned. It couldn't have possible worked out better.

I'm also in shock because I honestly did not expect to be accepted anywhere. I've been through some adversity as an undergrad, so the fact that I'm getting into a PhD program in the same year that I graduate is hard to believe.

Edited by Arcadian

Hi all! Well, it all happened today. I clicked on "send" with the email that determined the next five years of my life. "I am writing to accept the offer of admission...."

It's an amazing feeling, but also terrifying. I'm moving out of State, away from my family, for the next 5 years or more. It's a huge, HUGE change in my life. I don't know a single soul in the whole state. Anybody else have post-acceptance "hit with a ton of bricks" feelings?

I totally felt that. And there is quite a cultural difference between California and Texas, particularly small town Texas, but we're pretty friendly here. I'm at Texas A&M already. I know someone from the department already contacted you, but let me know if you have any other questions. :-)

I'm moving about 600 miles away from where I live now (assuming I go to the school i'm leaning towards). So yes, it will be a big transition for me. I've never really traveled much (only to conferences mostly) but its starting to sink in a bit now that I have to look for housing and I'll be graduating in less than two months....

I've been aiming for a PhD since my first semester freshman year and now that it's finally happening... it's indescribable :)

Yeah, the moments just after sending a positive response are really strange. I kinda expected trumpets and confetti, and at the same time was terrified. But tea helps.

I think one of the things that got me most weirded out, geographically, is that I'll no longer be in the same geographical neighbourhood I grew up in. I know the United Kingdom is an island, but it's in Europe, which is connected to Asia, and therefore somehow... alright, even if I do need to fly for several hours to see my family back home. But New York is even further away, and with an ocean in between, and on some strange level, that really scares me. :huh:

Well, i'm over my shock now. I have moved into the thrilled/excited phase ("ROAD TRIP!!"). I actually was born in Texas and spent the first six years of my life there. At the end of the day, I feel so blessed to have gotten into grad school when so many others on this board (and people I know) are being forced to try again next year due to the economy and the tough competition. I would have gone to the moon if it meant finally getting my ph.d!!

I think I am still in a bit of shock- in my case, the life changes won't be huge (I'll be moving, but just to a different part of the city)- but the fact that a) I got in and b ) now I am REALLY going to do this programme hasn't really sunk in. It has been over a month now, but it feels a bit like I imagined the whole thing...and in the moments when it does seem real, the doubt and fear crops up (what if I'm the worst student in my year? what if I can't do it? etc.)

Edited by Matilda_Tone

I think I am still in a bit of shock- in my case, the life changes won't be huge (I'll be moving, but just to a different part of the city)- but the fact that a) I got in and b ) now I am REALLY going to do this programme hasn't really sunk in. It has been over a month now, but it feels a bit like I imagined the whole thing...and in the moments when it does seem real, the doubt and fear crops up (what if I'm the worst student in my year? what if I can't do it? etc.)

Yeah, M, but they wouldn't have let you in unless they thought you could do it, right? After doing my MA, I learned that succeeding in grad school isn't magic. You just put your nose to the grindstone and do the work. The harder you work, the better the results will be. So it's not so much "can I do it" as "will i want to?"

Plus, I've spent me entire life living in the northeast USA (New York, and college in Boston), so moving to the south is both exhilarating and intimidating. People keep telling me to expect a culture shock, but not going into deeper into it than that. I guess the thing that's been helping me deal with the "moving to a new place" jitters is that I've done that twice before, and it's always turned out well. When I went to undergrad I moved from NY to Boston and knew about 3 people at my college, though none were good friends, and everything turned out fine. I also studied abroad in Greece for a semester and that was even scarier - I literally knew nobody in the program, barely spoke any Greek, had no idea what the school was like, didn't know what our apartments would be like, had never been to the country before (or anywhere in Europe other than London), etc. It ended up being the best experience of my life and I made some life-long friends! Anytime I get nervous about moving to the south and not knowing anybody, I just remind myself of Greece and how fantastically it turned out, and I know that this will turn out to be just as great. I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people who are in the same boat as me, and are new grad students who don't know anybody and are hoping to meet new people and explore a new city!

Get excited you are moving to the greatest region in the U.S. Very little pretense and people are nice. Most of the truly original American culture is rooted in the South. Not to say the South isn't messed up, but as a native, I would call it a beautiful catastrophy.

I too am in shock --- halfway shocked I got accepted at all, halfway shocked I'm considering moving away from everyone I know and love to a new city where I also only know a handful of people. How do I get to know my future classmates? How do I decide where to live?? How do I deal with the amount of debt I'm getting ready to embrace? :)

Any advice for a fellow shell-shocked newly-accepted grad student, I'd be much obliged. :)

I've been aiming for a PhD since my first semester freshman year and now that it's finally happening... it's indescribable :)

I can totally relate. On top of it all this was my 4th year applying to schools. I finally did it and I'm feeling every feeling imaginable--mostly I'm in shock.

Hello,

I can very much relate to what you people are discussing here. After applying for two years finally I got into University of Kansas. For me PhD was the ultimate thing and am very happy to finally get it. Also, a bit apprehensive since I would be travelling to a different continent altogether, not knowing a soul there, but excited as well at the same time for meeting new people from different cultures and ideologies. I believe in today's globalized world, it will make me a better world citizen.

Looking forward to making some lifetime friends and memories.

Good luck to all.