Rooming with another graduate student

beanbagchairs

So, at this point, I am pretty sure where I am heading for graduate school. I dont know anyone in that particular city. Therefore, having a housemate seems nice. I am not sure how to go about it:

1) I thought of emailing the graduate director and ask if he can forward my email to the students list?

2) Craiglist?

3) Get an apartment for myself and then look for housemate?

I know this may be a silly question. I am just overwhelmed with the moving process. I need furnitures tooo!! arghgh

Thanks All.

I'm sure your school will have a classifieds page with postings most likely from landlords who are used to renting to students, or current students looking for housemates. Craigslist is not a bad idea either - there're always people who look for new housemates (I think that's what you mean right? Do you really want to share a room with someone after 4 years of college? :D if you went to a residential college like me, that is). When people move out, sometimes they leave all the furniture behind (look for listings that say "furnished"), so there's a chance you don't even have to buy much. There are also people who will deliver (esp. people who sell beds). Are you going to have a car? If not, can you drive? U-haul is always an option, or even zipcar, if you're not moving too much (from the seller's to your place). Even better, if you're buying from IKEA or big shops like that, they have delivery services (if shelling out money is an option for you).

You can also, like you said, get an apartment and look for housemates, but that's assuming you're going to that city a bit early (at least half a month) to have time to look for housemates. Usually the landlord looks for tenants if the whole thing is vacant; and if it's only one or two rooms, the current tenants will have a lot of say in who they want to let in. In other cases, when you deal with the landlord yourself and then look for housemates, you might have to compete with groups of people who already have enough people to rent right away (as in, can pay all the required deposit for x number of people, etc.). So I'd go with looking for places where there already are people, esp. when you don't know anyone in the new city. That way, once you settle in a bit, you can ask them for help in purchasing stuff, too. Remember, you don't need to have everything right away :) Just something to sleep on, then you're good for at least 2 weeks while you start collecting stuff, unless you're the type who absolutely needs to sleep on a bed and put clothes in a closet.

Good luck. Don't be overwhelmed. I think you're going to Boston? In such a big city, this kind of thing is really a piece of cake ^^ (I lived there on and off for about 6 months, so I'm speaking from experience).

So, at this point, I am pretty sure where I am heading for graduate school. I dont know anyone in that particular city. Therefore, having a housemate seems nice. I am not sure how to go about it:

1) I thought of emailing the graduate director and ask if he can forward my email to the students list?

2) Craiglist?

I know this may be a silly question. I am just overwhelmed with the moving process. I need furnitures tooo!! arghgh

Thanks All.

1) WAIT! Don't do that until closer to the summer, when your email will reach the other incoming students.

2) Always a good choice. There's an active thread in "The Lobby" about using Craigslist.

3) Not the best approach, imo, because if you can't find someone, you're on the hook for the whole lease amount.

If you need furniture, look on Craigslist, go to thrift stores, etc.

Thanks All!

Yes, Boston it is! Very exciting!

Good luck! I love it here. I would definitely recommend finding a roommate or two just for the money savings...it's not cheap here! Once it gets closer, an option is to post an ad in housing wanted on Craigslist talking about yourself, your likes and dislikes in housemates, your budget, etc. It's a good way to supplement your own search. Late summer is the busiest leasing time here, so you'll have lots of options to choose from, but it's also a bit competitive. Again, good luck!

Does anyone have any experience with this approach? I'm considering it for a variety of reasons (mostly to have control; I'm nervous about how my dog and another person will get along) and have the financial ability to withstand a few months of no roommate, although it might mean instant noodles for lunch. :P

Does anyone have any experience with this approach? I'm considering it for a variety of reasons (mostly to have control; I'm nervous about how my dog and another person will get along) and have the financial ability to withstand a few months of no roommate, although it might mean instant noodles for lunch. :P

IF you're going this direction, get a short lease if you possibly can. There were several in my class who got short leases, and then were able to meet someone in the department to room with.

I plan to go this route. I want to be the main renter, but want a slightly bigger apartment with a backyard...so finding a roommate is a must. If the apartment is well-located, I don't see why it would be difficult to find a roommate in a college town. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but there's always a mad dash for places at the start of the semester, no?

I plan to go this route. I want to be the main renter, but want a slightly bigger apartment with a backyard...so finding a roommate is a must. If the apartment is well-located, I don't see why it would be difficult to find a roommate in a college town. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but there's always a mad dash for places at the start of the semester, no?

Depends if you want your roommate to be undergrad or grad- or don't care.

Most of my cohort had places rented well before the start of the semester... Not sure how it is other places. We all wanted to get a feel for the town before classes started.

Depends if you want your roommate to be undergrad or grad- or don't care.

Most of my cohort had places rented well before the start of the semester... Not sure how it is other places. We all wanted to get a feel for the town before classes started.

That's a good point, definitely not looking to share a place with an undergraduate. I'm hoping to find something in the coming weeks and then network with other admitted students I'll meet at the recruitment weekend, see if any of them want to take the second bedroom in my as-yet-unsecured apartment of the future... I hope it works out, another little pile of pre-grad school stress to add to the mound.

That's a good point, definitely not looking to share a place with an undergraduate. I'm hoping to find something in the coming weeks and then network with other admitted students I'll meet at the recruitment weekend, see if any of them want to take the second bedroom in my as-yet-unsecured apartment of the future... I hope it works out, another little pile of pre-grad school stress to add to the mound.

Grads from your undergrad alma mater can also be a good source. I wound up rooming with someone who graduated the same year I did and we both went to the same grad school direct from undergrad. We didn't know each other, but if you are still in undergrad, you can usually pre-vet eachother since someone you know is bound to know them or know people who know them.

One issue with finding a place then finding roommates is whether you have good enough credit that the landlord will let you sign the lease by yourself, plus you'll need to be able to come up with the entire deposit. Odds are that you'll find people, but you're legally obligated for the entire lease until you do. Another option is to try to find people looking for roommates first, then search together.

You can also see if any current grads in the program are looking for a roommate. I know we have several groups of grad students that have 3-4 bedroom apartments they share. You might have similar situations in your new departments- and there may have been recent graduates, etc. who have left vacancies.

One question, I was also concerned with this issue, but then an idea came to my mind: would you roommate with someone from thegradcafe forum?

Do people consider this option?

Do people consider this option?

I would, and was actually thinking of where it would make sense to start a forum. I guess in City Guide, although it seems sorta space-waste-y.

TGC isn't better than having mutual friends/acquaintances vet future roommates, but I bet it's less likely to have a scammer than Craigslist.

I really considered this option. I read that couple of people even got accepted to the faculties I applied, so I seriously thought of suggesting them to move-in together...I know that it might sound crazy, but as you said, the options are way less likely to have a scammerblink.gif

I don't know, would that make me like a stalker-crazy-person, if I suggested that? To me, it sounds reasonable.

Edited by matilda

I really considered this option. I read that couple of people even got accepted to the faculties I applied, so I seriously thought of suggesting them to move-in together...I know that it might sound crazy, but as you said, the options are way less likely to have a scammerblink.gif

I don't know, would that make me like a stalker-crazy-person, if I suggested that? To me, it sounds reasonable.

I won't have to move because I'll be attending a Ph.D. program in the same city I'm currently in, but if I was looking for a roommate and there were people on this forum who I've talked to before and were accepted to the same programs, it doesn't seem like asking to room with them is a bad idea. It sounds a little better than craigslist!

I won't have to move because I'll be attending a Ph.D. program in the same city I'm currently in, but if I was looking for a roommate and there were people on this forum who I've talked to before and were accepted to the same programs, it doesn't seem like asking to room with them is a bad idea. It sounds a little better than craigslist!

At the very least, I wouldn't have to worry about a future roommate thinking that I'm crazy because I participate in online fora! :lol:

At the very least, I wouldn't have to worry about a future roommate thinking that I'm crazy because I participate in online fora! :lol:

Oh man, neuropsychosocial....:) As a chem engineer with focus on neurochemistry, I could definitely room with you:)

I think meeting someone on the forums to room with as opposed to meeting someone through e-mails after departmental introduction sounds nice. It doesn't even have to be someone in the same program, just someone at the same school- it might even provide a nice outlet and another group of people you'd get to know.

I think meeting someone on the forums to room with as opposed to meeting someone through e-mails after departmental introduction sounds nice. It doesn't even have to be someone in the same program, just someone at the same school- it might even provide a nice outlet and another group of people you'd get to know.

I've been considering this as well, in fact, I may even post in the city guide after this asking if anyone else is considering an off-campus option with a roommate. My only hesitation was that a person from the boards can find out so much about you by going back through your posts...but hey, maybe that gets all of the academic worries/doubts out of the way and you can just move forward with being roomies.

I've been considering this as well, in fact, I may even post in the city guide after this asking if anyone else is considering an off-campus option with a roommate. My only hesitation was that a person from the boards can find out so much about you by going back through your posts...but hey, maybe that gets all of the academic worries/doubts out of the way and you can just move forward with being roomies.

Frankly, I believe that it can just add up to deciding positively. Many of the people posting here I already admire and feel like decent grads. Then, yeah, why not share a flat? In the end, you don't have to befriend each other for life, the point is to get a decent person to room-in with you. If you become friends - better deal. If not, at least you are on the safe side of getting a same mindset person as a rommie -we all post here because we are aware of our future as grads and professionals.

Edited by matilda

It is definitely nice rooming with someone from a different department. Grad school can be so insular and so anything you can do to expand your social circle the better I feel. My math roommate has been a godsend since my department drinks a lot when they socialize and while I'm not opposed to this scene, it is nice to have some wholesome fun too.

There are two places where making such a post might be helpful. 1) City Guide, under the city to which you will be moving. 2) Meet and Greet, under the name of the university you will be attending (or another university that's nearby maybe).

I live in Boston now, so if you're coming here, I can give you the scoop.

On a grad student salary, you probably can't afford to live by yourself. The only people I know who have done this have a partner with a real job, and even then, they typically wind up in the suburbs. Single students tend to get a room in a shared house, preferably close to campus. I imagine this is pretty common for urban areas; I'm probably going to San Francisco this fall, and I expect to do the room-mate shuffle there too.

Openings typically show up on Craigslist a few weeks in advance; it helps to have a couch to sleep on (or a room in a hostel) so you can see the place for yourself and don't have any unpleasant surprises. Depending on location and size, expect to pay $600-900 for a room, once utilities are added. There are a lot of students around Boston/Cambridge/Somerville, so housing arrangements like this are very common. Harvard Square, downtown Boston, and places right next to the T go for a premium; the MIT area (Cambridgeport/Inman) and Tufts (outer Red Line) are somewhat cheaper; Allston/BU is cheaper still, but crawling with undergrads. Somerville is an option, but check transit, because coverage is patchy. South of Boston tends to be cheap, but is out of the way unless you're going to UMass (and it can be a little sketchy).

By the way, don't bring a car if you can avoid it. Parking is expensive, and public transit is really good here. I've lived here for seven years carless (don't even know how to drive) and it's been fine. If you're picking your daily commute, walking distance >> Red > Orange >> Green > bus, in my opinion.

I live roughly equidistant between MIT and BU, in a 4BR/1BA, and pay $525/month (a steal for Cambridgeport, but the house is older). Remember that more people = splitting the utilities, which can be significant (I probably average $75/month, split four ways).

...actually, if you're going to MIT or BU and would like a room for August (furnished! cheap! cat-friendly!)...we should talk laugh.gif