Boston University LEAP Program

Bobbi

Hello! My name is Bobbi, and almost a year ago, I graduated from a prestigious private university with a B.S. in statistics...but a cum GPA of only 2.34!

Obviously, I can't get a job in my field and have no interest in any sales positions. Graduate school is out of the question given that my application would not be competitive.

SO, does anyone know anything about Boston University's LEAP program for Bioengineering? Do you or does anyone you know attend?

I am looking to pursue a Master's in Engineering program for non-majors. If you have any advice for me, I would appreciate it.

In case you didn't know, Boston University's LEAP program is for non-engineering majors or career changers who have decided to go for engineering. First, you take a few undergraduate classes to catch up with the material, and then you start an MEng program so that when you're done you have a Master's in an engineering of your choice - materials, mechanical, electrical, or biomedical.

Hey

I applied to the LEAP program this year for fall admissions 2011, however I am in the same boat as you. I don't know much about the program although that it looked really interesting. Sorry wasn't much help!

Hey

I applied to the LEAP program this year for fall admissions 2011, however I am in the same boat as you. I don't know much about the program although that it looked really interesting. Sorry wasn't much help!

Good luck. I wish I had majored in engr in the first place.

Hey Dizzychemist,

I also applied for Fall2011, have you heard back yet?

Hey

Hey armoluv7,

Way to get 'er done! I'm still waiting on my acceptance/rejection. Out of curiousity, when did you submit your application? I haven't heard anything back, did they inform you via email or snail mail? Nice work, hope to see you there. Congrats!

Anybody receive word yet from BU Leap? I recently received my offer of admission for Fall 2011. It was very exciting I've been working towards gaining admission to LEAP for a few years now.

I applied a while ago, August 2010. When I didn't hear back for a while, I emailed somewhat incessantly. Did anyone on this board go to the LEAP open house. If you are interested in the program I suggest going, meet all the people involved.

I watched it during their live web-feed. It was extremely informative. Did you go?

I applied a while ago, August 2010. When I didn't hear back for a while, I emailed somewhat incessantly. Did anyone on this board go to the LEAP open house. If you are interested in the program I suggest going, meet all the people involved.

armoluv7 Congrats in your admissions to the leap program!!! :D I haven't heard back from the program I did call once to see my status on my application and they just told me it was under review. I just want to know already I am accepted or rejected. I wasn't able to go to the open house, I did what adamlau and watch it online and thought it was very helpful. I hope to hear from them soon.

Boy, it's really hard to find information about the LEAP program beyond the BU site itself. I'm thrilled just to be able to vent off some anxiety with others who have applied (and one who's in!). I emailed last week and they told me that my app is being reviewed. Must. Not. Go. Crazy. Armoluv7, what do you think set your application apart to give you the green light? What drew you to engineering? I graduated with a degree in English and French literature. Interesting topic, but not terrible employable. A few years back I was fortunate to find employment (I mean *right* when the economy tanked) with various engineering companies after college who gave me excellent training and work experience and really showed me a great side to engineering. I was fully prepared to dive back in and earn a second bachelors. But hey, you guys know what LEAP has to offer, so no reason to get into what LEAP has to offer. How about you DizzyChemist, what's your story? (Good luck to you!) I'm probably going to take a trip out to Boston in a few weeks to check it out.

Adamlau, I know what you mean about being able to find others to share information about the LEAP program, there isn't much on it but I really liked the goal of the program.

I currently an undergrad and majoring in chemistry, I am currently researching in a materials chemistry lab. And I have a couple of friends who do similar research but in the engineering fields. And I recently I took some computer science classes and fell in love with the field of engineering. I applied to PhD programs for chemistry and during the process my PI suggested that I should follow the engineering side of material science instead of the chemistry route. I have taken a lot of similar classes as Electric engineering as a chemistry major, but I want to learn more and i feel that this path would be better for me in long run so i can achieve a PhD in material science. And thats it really, I am busying in finishing my last quarter and cannot make out to Boston. But what I have heard about Boston has convince me to leave California and go to East coast. ( thats if i get in :))

Dizzychemist,

It's awesome that you have some research experience. That's going to go a long way in supporting your application (anywhere). I'm wondering, since you're majoring in a hard science, would it be that much of a stretch to apply directly to a MatSci degree anyway? You're way more ahead of the game than, say, me with my 8 quarters of 17th century French poetry. I wish I had spoken to my academic counselor more. That's life! What school are you attending? I went to UC Davis.

Adamlau, I know what you mean about being able to find others to share information about the LEAP program, there isn't much on it but I really liked the goal of the program.

I currently an undergrad and majoring in chemistry, I am currently researching in a materials chemistry lab. And I have a couple of friends who do similar research but in the engineering fields. And I recently I took some computer science classes and fell in love with the field of engineering. I applied to PhD programs for chemistry and during the process my PI suggested that I should follow the engineering side of material science instead of the chemistry route. I have taken a lot of similar classes as Electric engineering as a chemistry major, but I want to learn more and i feel that this path would be better for me in long run so i can achieve a PhD in material science. And thats it really, I am busying in finishing my last quarter and cannot make out to Boston. But what I have heard about Boston has convince me to leave California and go to East coast. ( thats if i get in :))

Boy, it's really hard to find information about the LEAP program beyond the BU site itself. I'm thrilled just to be able to vent off some anxiety with others who have applied (and one who's in!). I emailed last week and they told me that my app is being reviewed. Must. Not. Go. Crazy. Armoluv7, what do you think set your application apart to give you the green light? What drew you to engineering? I graduated with a degree in English and French literature. Interesting topic, but not terrible employable. A few years back I was fortunate to find employment (I mean *right* when the economy tanked) with various engineering companies after college who gave me excellent training and work experience and really showed me a great side to engineering. I was fully prepared to dive back in and earn a second bachelors. But hey, you guys know what LEAP has to offer, so no reason to get into what LEAP has to offer. How about you DizzyChemist, what's your story? (Good luck to you!) I'm probably going to take a trip out to Boston in a few weeks to check it out.

I know what you mean about trying to keep sane. I was really worried I would be denied, checking my email and mailbox regularly hoping for something. At one point I was convinced I would be denied. I think what did it for me is that I stayed in touch with them for years, getting classes pre-approved and showing my commitment. I took time off work to concentrate on the GRE, and visited for open house right after applying. I also went for the best letter writers I could find, and really tried to shine on the personal statement. That's what I think did it, because there was nothing really special about my numbers (GPA, GRE). Not bad, but not great either. I started thinking about engineering 4-5 years ago during law school. I became really interested in science and math and I wasn't sure why I avoided it for so long. I really want to go into patent law, or engineering itself.

I hope you get in as well Adamlau. It's apparent you appreciate the opportunity LEAP offers, and I'm sure they see your commitment as well.

Dizzychemist,

It's awesome that you have some research experience. That's going to go a long way in supporting your application (anywhere). I'm wondering, since you're majoring in a hard science, would it be that much of a stretch to apply directly to a MatSci degree anyway? You're way more ahead of the game than, say, me with my 8 quarters of 17th century French poetry. I wish I had spoken to my academic counselor more. That's life! What school are you attending? I went to UC Davis.

adamlau,

Although I am a chemistry major, my field isn't very close to engineering. I am more prepared to be an organic chemistry. The type of classes I took don't really fit what MatSci degree is looking for and there is a lot I still need to learn in order to be successful in the field. But I did try to apply to one of the PhD for matsci and that was UCR but I havent heard from them. So I am just playing the waiting game right now. How about you, did you apply anywhere else?

I didn't apply anywhere else(for an MS), I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket so BU is my top (and only) choice for an MS. But in case I don't get in I'll keep my job with the engineering company and try again later while I continue to take some coursework for some BS programs that still award second Bachelors degrees (e.g. UC Davis) because the CSU system doesn't award them anymore. It's okay though, I love my job and it's really good experience. I just want the (engineering) training so I can be more productive and contribute more at work as far as engineering stuff. I can't make them love me!

adamlau,

Although I am a chemistry major, my field isn't very close to engineering. I am more prepared to be an organic chemistry. The type of classes I took don't really fit what MatSci degree is looking for and there is a lot I still need to learn in order to be successful in the field. But I did try to apply to one of the PhD for matsci and that was UCR but I havent heard from them. So I am just playing the waiting game right now. How about you, did you apply anywhere else?

Hey everybody. I am a current LEAP student. I started two years ago, and am in the middle of my Master's coursework. I would wholeheartedly recommend the LEAP program to any aspiring engineers. The community of LEAP students alone make the program worth it, as it is a very tight-knit group of smart and dedicated (and cool) people. Boston University is very good to its engineering students, and I think the quality of education is much better than BU's engineering rankings would make it seem. The best news is that there is a GENEROUS SCHOLARSHIP (up to 70% of tuition) for almost all LEAP students, though I believe it has become somewhat competitive (it used to be for everyone!).

Anyway, if you have questions about the program, I'd be happy to answer them. Just shoot me a message on this forum.

If you want to contact the program director directly, her name is Helaine Friedlander, and she is extremely helpful and approachable. LEAP is her baby, and she really goes all out to get good students into the program and help them along as they go. Her email is hrf0@bu.edu.

One more thing: LEAP accepts applications for Fall, Spring, or Summer, and you can usually submit an application just a few months/weeks before the start of your intended semester. In my case, I found out that I was in about two weeks before Summer classes started!

Good luck!

adamlau I hope you get in! :)

ihmcguinness- How did you find out you were in? Did they call/email/ send a letter? And what are you studying in the leap program? And thanks for answering our questions!

Hey everybody. I am a current LEAP student. I started two years ago, and am in the middle of my Master's coursework. I would wholeheartedly recommend the LEAP program to any aspiring engineers. The community of LEAP students alone make the program worth it, as it is a very tight-knit group of smart and dedicated (and cool) people. Boston University is very good to its engineering students, and I think the quality of education is much better than BU's engineering rankings would make it seem. The best news is that there is a GENEROUS SCHOLARSHIP (up to 70% of tuition) for almost all LEAP students, though I believe it has become somewhat competitive (it used to be for everyone!).

Anyway, if you have questions about the program, I'd be happy to answer them. Just shoot me a message on this forum.

If you want to contact the program director directly, her name is Helaine Friedlander, and she is extremely helpful and approachable. LEAP is her baby, and she really goes all out to get good students into the program and help them along as they go. Her email is hrf0@bu.edu.

One more thing: LEAP accepts applications for Fall, Spring, or Summer, and you can usually submit an application just a few months/weeks before the start of your intended semester. In my case, I found out that I was in about two weeks before Summer classes started!

Good luck!

Thanks ihmcguinness. This is on my list of graduate school programs to apply this upcoming fall. Do you know where online or offline you learned about the program besides BU School of Engineering's website. It is limited and I have talked to Mrs. Friedlander. Thanks and grats!

adamlau I hope you get in! :)

ihmcguinness- How did you find out you were in? Did they call/email/ send a letter? And what are you studying in the leap program? And thanks for answering our questions!

I found out from Helaine over the phone and eventually got a letter. I think I called her. Things may have become more formalized since then, but it is a pretty small program, so things can be pretty informal (in a good way). Anyone applying should definitely make contact with Helaine and get on her radar.

I'm studying mechanical, with a concentration in control systems.

Thanks ihmcguinness. This is on my list of graduate school programs to apply this upcoming fall. Do you know where online or offline you learned about the program besides BU School of Engineering's website. It is limited and I have talked to Mrs. Friedlander. Thanks and grats!

I got most of my info from the website and talking to helaine. I also attended an information session in 2009. If you've got more questions, keep them coming. You (and anyone else interested) can message me through the forum if you'd like.