Boston University LEAP Program

Bobbi

I've had to switch to part time. Is this make or break for anyone?

How did you switch? Contact the engineering office?

This is pretty ridiculous. How many LEAP students could have possibly been matriculated for Fall?

This is pretty ridiculous. How many LEAP students could have possibly been matriculated for Fall?

Maybe 100 or so? I thought I remember hearing from Helaine past few years had about 40 students, and it's recently doubled. Could be remembering incorrectly... However, even a million dollars worth of funding would only cover about 30 students for one year's tuition (LEAP scholarship was supposed to be up to %75 of tuition, don't know if that's changed). (That's about $30k x 30 students ). If there are 100 students matriculating, it's plausible that the money just ran out....but this is all speculation....

hearing from Helaine would definitely ease my mind a bit, even if that is the final word on aid. it's just been silence since the admission notice.

Edited by CMC_Kid

Ugh, whatever. What's the quote?

If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance. - Derek Bok

Just keeping that in mind, lol. Hello research assistantships and TA positions! (hopefully)

ghanada, if you're reading this, now would be a good time for you to chime in with some more info, cause i just read something that scared me...

What did you read?

And my next question is, will Helaine still be contacting us with information and documents regarding loans (Perkins, Stafford), since we've already filled out our FAFSAs and sent her our SARs? Or are we on our own for that?

What did you read?

And my next question is, will Helaine still be contacting us with information and documents regarding loans (Perkins, Stafford), since we've already filled out our FAFSAs and sent her our SARs? Or are we on our own for that?

I read helaine is getting axed. this is wrong, man.

Edited by CMC_Kid

Hey all, thought I might as well join the party too. I was admitted for this fall, but no LEAP scholarship, and still waiting on the rest of the financial information too. Stumbled upon this conversation trying to figure out what was going on so unfortunately I can't offer any insight myself.

CMC_kid, are you speculating about the changes in administration or did you actually hear something to that effect?

Hey all, thought I might as well join the party too. I was admitted for this fall, but no LEAP scholarship, and still waiting on the rest of the financial information too. Stumbled upon this conversation trying to figure out what was going on so unfortunately I can't offer any insight myself.

CMC_kid, are you speculating about the changes in administration or did you actually hear something to that effect?

Red. Of course nothing can be confirmed as fact until you get to Boston and somebody is not actually there anymore. I am not, however, speculating. A previous post by a current leaper, Ghanada, alluded to administration changes/drama. I stumbled upon a FB post which seemed to confirm my suspicions...

Ghanada hasn't offered any elaboration, but did advise us not to bug Helaine, and that the grad admissions staff had not forgotten about us recently-admitted. Far as I know, no one has been in touch with any BU admissions staff since the Great Financial Aid Email of April 13th, other than to confirm that we are not receiving any LEAP scholarships. It's been silence since. So I guess we are all playing the waiting game.

Sorry, just saw the note about fb after I posted. I agree, not a good sign. So I guess the waiting game it is.

just waiting...anxiously. welcome to the thread, by the way.

Edited by CMC_Kid

I've had to switch to part time. Is this make or break for anyone?

Yeah, I'm out without funding. All well, current life's not bad... Not sure I'm cut out for the normal world anyways.

daaamn no funding at all? Ditto to v834. Can not afford it....need a new plan now. Any other programs similar to LEAP? haha

haha wow, you guys are like crazy freaking out! sorry to laugh a bit as I understand how huge this is, but I have been periodically checking this thread and the speed at which you all post is insane!

ok, since you guys figured it out, I guess I will elaborate as to what is going on. What you stumbled upon is correct, Helaine has been notified that BU will be "letting her go" sometime in the next week or so. All of her duties have been redirected to Steve Doherty for now. Just so you know, the LEAP community is STRONGLY opposed to this and we are currently mobilizing action against BU right now. I am personally extremely upset with BU College of Eng. and am personally going to fight for Helaine.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what this means for the future of LEAP and all you guys. I personally think this move is a stifling mis-step that may destroy the positive movements the LEAP program has been making. It is all very worrisome to me that none of you were offered scholarship at the same time this news was announced. I am very suspicious of what is going on with funding toward the LEAP program now and will definitely inquire about this to the people higher up.

I don't know what else to tell you guys. I will do my best to help you all out as things progress. I will say that many students do in fact work part-time while doing the program. Feel free to message me if you have any personal concerns or questions. I'm crossing my fingers for you all!

thanks ghanada. not to be overly dramatic, but your presence in this thread is a beacon of light in an otherwise dark and uncertain time.

yeah, i laugh at how freaked i am, but at least for me, that's where i am right now. it's scary being in the dark. no finaid + this business with helaine is messed up. it makes me upset for helaine, suspicious about the future of LEAP, and leaves me with a deep sense of whatthefuckamigonnadonow.

Sorry, I actually left the thread for a minute to go on a long, mind-clearing run, and like 10 posts happened while I was gone!

so pho, are you going to continue working while enrolled in leap? are you already in the boston area?

I already live in Boston. I was an applied math undergrad at BU. Since I was planning to LEAP before I graduated, I just took a part time research position in math, and kept my undergrad weekend job of waiting tables in Harvard Square. Once I start the program (next month) I will be dropping my research (too time consuming and not related to photonics) and working brunches one or two days per week at the restaurant to pay rent (that's only a 10 hour work commitment... servers make pretty good, fast money in Boston, like 25-30/hr).

Thanks to my math background I'll be able to finish Phase I by next summer, taking 3 this summer, 2 in fall, 2 in spring, and 1 in the summer after.

Something to keep in mind is: taking 2 classes (or 1...) will get you part-time status, but taking three classes is financially equivalent to taking 4, or even 5 classes at BU, i.e. you are considered a full-time student and charged full tuition which covers up to 20 credits.

I contacted my assigned advisor and Helaine. I actually haven't heard from either yet, so I'm not sure if there will be more to do. I shouldn't have to do anything... If i register for 2 classes only I'll automatically be billed part time. At worst I'll have to send an email.

As for how many students... I actually had a 45 minute phone conversation with Helaine a few weeks ago where we discussed various things, including the expected number of new LEAPers this year. At the time she said 20 something had accepted thus far, with maybe 15 starting in the summer, but she was expecting 40-50 to be starting by fall.

Finally, ghanada, thanks for the info! And cmc_kid, the Facebook page. I don't know what use I could be, but I do live within a mile of BU if you all need faces to present to protest whoever.

I bet there have been 50 posts while I was writing this...

Sorry, I actually left the thread for a minute to go on a long, mind-clearing run, and like 10 posts happened while I was gone!

I already live in Boston. I was an applied math undergrad at BU. Since I was planning to LEAP before I graduated, I just took a part time research position in math, and kept my undergrad weekend job of waiting tables in Harvard Square. Once I start the program (next month) I will be dropping my research (too time consuming and not related to photonics) and working brunches one or two days per week at the restaurant to pay rent (that's only a 10 hour work commitment... servers make pretty good, fast money in Boston, like 25-30/hr).

Thanks to my math background I'll be able to finish Phase I by next summer, taking 3 this summer, 2 in fall, 2 in spring, and 1 in the summer after.

Something to keep in mind is: taking 2 classes (or 1...) will get you part-time status, but taking three classes is financially equivalent to taking 4, or even 5 classes at BU, i.e. you are considered a full-time student and charged full tuition which covers up to 20 credits.

I contacted my assigned advisor and Helaine. I actually haven't heard from either yet, so I'm not sure if there will be more to do. I shouldn't have to do anything... If i register for 2 classes only I'll automatically be billed part time. At worst I'll have to send an email.

As for how many students... I actually had a 45 minute phone conversation with Helaine a few weeks ago where we discussed various things, including the expected number of new LEAPers this year. At the time she said 20 something had accepted thus far, with maybe 15 starting in the summer, but she was expecting 40-50 to be starting by fall.

Finally, ghanada, thanks for the info! And cmc_kid, the Facebook page. I don't know what use I could be, but I do live within a mile of BU if you all need faces to present to protest whoever.

I bet there have been 50 posts while I was writing this...

You got your advisor already?

thanks ghanada. not to be overly dramatic, but your presence in this thread is a beacon of light in an otherwise dark and uncertain time.

yeah, i laugh at how freaked i am, but at least for me, that's where i am right now. it's scary being in the dark. no finaid + this business with helaine is messed up. it makes me upset for helaine, suspicious about the future of LEAP, and leaves me with a deep sense of whatthefuckamigonnadonow.

your points are all completely valid and it is understandable at how freaked out you are. I have been there myself so I know how it goes. I'm glad I can help you all out since I am so grateful for the LEAP program and I want to give back in any way I can.

since you have "pho" in your username I am guessing you are trying to get in photonics? If so, are you doing EE? Prof. Nawab is the adviser for EE and he is amazing. One of the best profs I have ever had in my academic career. I'm sure he's a busy man, so don't get worried if you haven't heard back yet. Also, I'm fairly certain that if you just enroll in 2 classes you will only be charged as a part-time student. I personally don't think anyone should take 3 classes at a time. It costs the same as 4 classes (full-time) so you might as well take a 4th class or just take 2 and be part-time.