Boston University LEAP Program

Bobbi

Hi all,

I'm an Australian just beginning to consider a career change to engineering from music and would really like to have some insight into the careers, jobs, aspirations that you all have?

Can anyone recommend a good career advice resource or website that might help me get a better understanding of the types of jobs, salaries, etc. in the field?

After two music degrees and a bunch really amazing experience playing and travelling, I'm feeling the primal call of electronics, maths, physics and high tech work and want to begin heading towards some qualifications. After looking around the BU site and the wider web, I'm beginning to lean towards EE/CE focus, but the research into prosthesis and bionic arms, etc. is really fascinating also.

I'd be glad to hear any ideas from anyone via this forum or a private message or an email (sb@shaunbarlow.com).

Thanks!

Shaun

• 7 months later...

Hey I just applied for Fall 2013 admission to LEAP. Can anyone offer any incite into the acceptance rate for this program? I'm incredibly invested in it but very nervous about being rejected. I had 158 Verb 157 Quant (800, 730 conversion) and a 3.0 GPA with Econ/Art history double major. 

Hey I just applied for Fall 2013 admission to LEAP. Can anyone offer any incite into the acceptance rate for this program? I'm incredibly invested in it but very nervous about being rejected. I had 158 Verb 157 Quant (800, 730 conversion) and a 3.0 GPA with Econ/Art history double major. 

I am in the process of applying for Fall2013 admission. I am taking the GREs in February. My gpa is a bit low ~2.5. Any insight on what my chances are if I do well on my GREs and score great recommendations? The GPA was mainly due to my lack of interest in the topic (econ) I was studying and definitely not due to my ineptitude. Any advice would help. 

I am in the process of applying for Fall2013 admission. I am taking the GREs in February. My gpa is a bit low ~2.5. Any insight on what my chances are if I do well on my GREs and score great recommendations? The GPA was mainly due to my lack of interest in the topic (econ) I was studying and definitely not due to my ineptitude. Any advice would help. 

I'm on the same boat as you.  My GPA wasn't anything impressive (~2.6ish), but I did well in all my math and comp sci classes, and got a fairly good score in the GRE (163 quant).

tl;dr My GPA is low, but every other scores / qualification is good.  Im hoping for the best.

I completed the LEAP program last semester and I had an undergrad 2.6 GPA when I started. I wouldn't worry too much about GPA, more about conveying why you would be a good fit to the program. At the time I left BU there were very few rejections since they seem to be accepting more and more people but offering less financial aid.

I am also a current LEAP applicant but for summer. I was thinking about starting a Facebook group where 2013 LEAP applicants could share application updates, LEAP news and, fingers-crossed, get to know potential class-mates. If anyone is interested please PM me.

I completed the LEAP program last semester and I had an undergrad 2.6 GPA when I started. I wouldn't worry too much about GPA, more about conveying why you would be a good fit to the program. At the time I left BU there were very few rejections since they seem to be accepting more and more people but offering less financial aid.

OK that gives me more hope yet. Thank you for the input!!!

Edited by Number43

Hey, I'm also applying for fall 2013 and anxiously awaiting a decision!

I asked someone in admissions about the acceptance rate and if my notes are correct, about 100 people applied last year and 63 were accepted, but it depends more on how many qualified applicants they have more than a definite quota. The info session recording on the website said the acceptance rate is about 60%, for what that's worth.

I'd be interested in a Facebook group.

Hey, I'm also applying for fall 2013 and anxiously awaiting a decision!

I asked someone in admissions about the acceptance rate and if my notes are correct, about 100 people applied last year and 63 were accepted, but it depends more on how many qualified applicants they have more than a definite quota. The info session recording on the website said the acceptance rate is about 60%, for what that's worth.

I'd be interested in a Facebook group.

There is a facebook group, but it is currently only for past and current LEAP students. 

Honestly, if you do well in your calc requirements and get solid GRE scores, and if you have done any research or relevant industry work, you should have no problems with acceptance. LEAP has never been a particularly competitive program to get into, especially since there is just so little funding these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. I'm thinking about applying either for Spring or Fall 2014, and I'm wondering about my options after Phase II. I'm most interested in AstroEng, but as far as I know that's not available at BU above the bachelor's level. If I were to get accepted and go with either MechEng or Materials, would it significantly hurt my chances of going somewhere else afterward for an Aero/Astro PhD?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone hear back yet?

No word yet.

CMC_Kid, are you in the program or have you applied in the past/deferred? And if so, how long did it take you to find out?

Thanks.

Edited by BestAfterBegun

No word yet.

CMC_Kid, are you in the program or have you applied in the past/deferred? And if so, how long did it take you to find out?

Thanks.

Yes, I was accepted a year ago and I deferred. I had to resubmit so I'm waiting on the decision. My admission letter was dated 3/15/12, but I actually never received it. I had to follow up to get it resent. I got the financial aid decision 4/13/12.  I followed up earlier this week but haven't heard back. If I don't hear back next week, maybe I'll call around. 

Yes, I was accepted a year ago and I deferred. I had to resubmit so I'm waiting on the decision. My admission letter was dated 3/15/12, but I actually never received it. I had to follow up to get it resent. I got the financial aid decision 4/13/12.  I followed up earlier this week but haven't heard back. If I don't hear back next week, maybe I'll call around. 

Hopefully the notification process is more dialed in this time around. Thanks for the response!

Hopefully the notification process is more dialed in this time around. Thanks for the response!

You're welcome! 

I got a reply that they are hoping to get the decisions out soon...

FYI they recommend getting FAFSA in by March 15. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody hear back yet? If so, did you need to contact them or did they get in touch with you?

Thanks.

I heard back this Friday without having to call them up! They didn't say anything about financial aid yet but I was admitted.

I heard back this Friday without having to call them up! They didn't say anything about financial aid yet but I was admitted.

Congratulations CMC_Kid!!

I'm glad to hear the good news and that results are coming out. I'm so antsy at this point that I might have to follow up.

Congrats!! I'm still nervously waiting on my results, but hopefully I'll join you in fall!

I applied for computer engineering major, I recently found a new passion for programming and all that good stuff :).

Cool! Just wondering - trying to get a feel for what everyone is majoring in. Did you have a focus within computer engineering?

Anyone else narrow down within their respective majors areas they'd like to concentrate in?

Edited by CMC_Kid