Penn State?

Hey, everyone. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from Penn State. I got an e-mail from their director several weeks ago letting me know that they were waiting for a funded position to open up for me and they'd be getting back in touch about the offer. They mentioned that they'd know for sure by April 15 (which, of course, is the deadline for the rest of the programs I've been accepted to...). Is anyone else in this position with Penn State? Is anyone planning to reject an offer they've made?

Hey, everyone. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from Penn State. I got an e-mail from their director several weeks ago letting me know that they were waiting for a funded position to open up for me and they'd be getting back in touch about the offer. They mentioned that they'd know for sure by April 15 (which, of course, is the deadline for the rest of the programs I've been accepted to...). Is anyone else in this position with Penn State? Is anyone planning to reject an offer they've made?

I got a similar email from Mark Morisson a couple of weeks ago. I was pretty excited about it, and we emailed back a forth a few times, but when I emailed him with specific questions about the program and about visiting, I never heard back (it's been 11 days). I have two offers and another waitlist that I'm told will likely become an offer, so I'm forgetting about it unless I hear anything. If you have good offers that you're happy about, I would do the same, but if Penn State is one of your top choices, I would email him again or email your POI and try to get more info.

Hope that helps!

I also got waitlisted at Penn State, and I have pretty much the same story as the previous poster. Dr. Morrisson and I were emailing back and forth for awhile, and when I sent him specific questions about the program, I never heard back. He said that things might take until April 15th, and since it's my top choice, I might wait it out. The wait list is not ranked but done by subjects, so I think the person who does similar things to you has to decline before they can make an offer. What are your fields of interest? I do 19th and 20th century American with an emphasis on queer and GLBT studies.

One of my recommendation writers currently works at Penn State, and he said they usually make offers off of the wait list. Another friend of mine is in the program, and he said they just had their visiting weekend, so hopefully people will be deciding soon.

Good luck to you both.

I haven't heard anything either, Brontelover. I'm assuming the same :( I'll probably email next week if I still haven't heard!

I haven't heard anything at all yet. I'm assuming I'm rejected, but I will probably have to email to find out for sure. Grrr. It's annoying.

In the other thread concerning PSU it is noted that the department secretary told an applicant that postal mail rejection notices are forthcoming.

I never heard anything either, but like some of you, I assumed that I was rejected because I was never emailed (or whatever else) about a waitlist, and it sounded like everyone who was waitlisted was quite aware of it.

Still have not received any information. Although I assume to be rejected by them, I cannot be sure by receiving the mail itself anyway.

I must say they are so inscrutable in insisting in using ONLY snail mails to inform the applicants of the decisions (Am I in 1990s now?).

Called the office today, but still automated message. They are not only making me wait, but also making those schools who gave me

offers wait. And most importantly, they are making those waitlisters wait for a much longer time!

Please, to people who plan to apply to PSU, beware their sluggish speed!

Edited by Shao

I got an offer by phone from Mark Morrisson last Wednesday afternoon. I had to turn it down since I'd just accepted another offer that morning, but it seems like they are still making offers! If you haven't been rejected, I would assume that it's very possible an offer will be forthcoming - obviously if you have another offer you shouldn't turn it down, but for those that don't...