History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

...they can admit fewer people this year, because of the economic downturn, but because of the economic downturn, people are more likely to accept any offer. So schools are having a hard time making decisions.

I was told essentially just that by a professor at one of the programs to which I applied, so I think you're probably right.

Chicago was the school from which I withdrew my application in a fit of pique several years ago. I could never have applied there again, even for a different program... :)

Really? You're black-listed? That's kind of funny.

I applied, but the slim chance I had of getting in was probably destroyed by the info we were told (assuming it is true) regarding their cutting the number of admits in half this year.

Ah, well. UC is "where fun goes to die," anyway.

Really? You're black-listed? That's kind of funny.

Probably not in reality - they were just dragging out my admissions decision and I'd already been accepted to a better program that I wanted to attend, so, in violation of pretty much all the advice on these forums, I withdrew my application. I wasn't rude or anything.

I applied, but the slim chance I had of getting in was probably destroyed by the info we were told (assuming it is true) regarding their cutting the number of admits in half this year.

These are my sentiments exactly. I don't know what to think about my chances at Chicago, and I'm not sure that if I get in, it's the school for me, but it would be tough passing it up.

To those who got into Chicago: nice work and congrats!! :D

"Where all the men look like Woody Allen, and all the women do too."

A funny story I heard. The economics building at Chicago (not sure if it's still in use--but yes, of free-market Chicago School fame) was designed by a Marxist architect who put one of those abstract chunk-of-metal statues in front of it. Or at least that's what everyone thought. In reality, it was designed so that on May Day, the shadow cast by the statue would be shaped like a hammer and sickle!

A funny story I heard. The economics building at Chicago (not sure if it's still in use--but yes, of free-market Chicago School fame) was designed by a Marxist architect who put one of those abstract chunk-of-metal statues in front of it. Or at least that's what everyone thought. In reality, it was designed so that on May Day, the shadow cast by the statue would be shaped like a hammer and sickle!

This is true, I've seen it. I didn't know it was only on May Day though--how clever. Maybe that is when it happens perfectly, but when I saw it on a July day you could still make it out.

I'm from the area, a lot of people in my town went there or work there. I also did a lot of my thesis research at their library when I was living at home the summer before my senior year of college (easily the ugliest university library on the planet, but James Nye-the South Asia bibliographer, is wonderful x10. They also have a lot of the India Office Papers of the British Raj, though not entirely organized yet).

UChicago is magnificent, but now I'm not so sure I want to go there as badly as I once did. Can't say anything bad about it though.

ugh, so now that's three of mine (Harvard, Ohio State, Chicago) that have started notifying, but that I haven't heard from....at what point am I allowed to cry?

I think only individual professors are emailing students, based on the results page. Not the departments.

They're doing snail mail, right? (oh how uncommon lol) so it'll take some time.

ugh, so now that's three of mine (Harvard, Ohio State, Chicago) that have started notifying, but that I haven't heard from....at what point am I allowed to cry?

Your signature says that you've been accepted at one, so that's not so bad.

I've been checking all of the application status sites for the schools I applied to, but I'm checking two more often because it seemed like they were going to decide soon.

When I e-mailed UCSB about something they said that they would make most decisions by the end of last week or the start of last week.

BU told me that my application was in the batch that's being considered now, but they haven't made a decision since the 10th it seem. (They post a complete list of applications without names on their site, it's kind of interesting to look at. Not the best for privacy though, since reccomenders names and school names are listed.)

Anyone else waiting on these schools, or some other school that you think should be letting you know soon?

For the two who have heard from Chicago, What is your field/who was the prof. that e-mailed you???

I called chicago on Friday the 13th and was told this:

All decisions are made.

They are doing a good deal of wait-listing.

431 applicants this year.

They normally make offers to 60 or so, this year far less.

There were 11 ancient field applicants.

I am an acient history applicant, and being such a small field (of their 350+ current grad. students, 3 are ancient) there is surely a limited number of seats, and if the two already notified.... well... time to make my record 0-2 :(

Please, if you mention on the results page or here about an acceptance via e-mail, say your field/prof.

Thanks.

That Woody Allen line is hilarious.

And I'm going to have to go see that hammer and sickle shadow. That's pretty funny.

slawkenbergius, was it you on the results board who got into Georgetown? If so, congrats!

It was--thanks! Although after Harvard, everything seems kind of anticlimactic...

I think Princeton will notify admits this week and rejects the next, based on last year's results. That should be interesting.