Prelims, Comps, Quals...

So, I thought I got this, but can someone tell me what (if any) differences there are between Prelims, Comps and Quals?

I don't think there is any special meaning to each term, but their use probably differs from field to field. That is, one field may tend to use prelims, another comps. I know in political science, both at my MA school and the school I'll be going to for PhD, uses comps. The actual differences in content vary between fields, departments, schools, etc. In short, I don't think those various terms carry any differences in meaning in themselves.

In my program we don't have any of the above - we have "generals papers"; other programs in my field have "qualifying papers". The requirements change from program to program so that's something to read on each department's website. The general idea is probably similar in all cases, though: demonstrating familiarity with one's chosen field - either by passing exams or by writing papers that show enough knowledge and/or originality and/or ability to produce publishable work - all of which is design to make sure that the student has received sufficient training, and is capable of launching his/her dissertation research and eventually producing a compelling final result.

We have two: Cumulative Exams, and Prospectus...

Our cumes are general exams in each major sub-discipline given once per month. Subjects are completely random, and the exam rotates between professors in each sub-discipline. You have to pass 2 within your first two years, and a total of 6 by the end of your third year, three must be from your chosen sub-discipline. They're kinda soul-crushing, just because the pass rate is so low- and the topics can be completely out of nowhere.

Our Prospectus is where we have to give an overview of our work so far and our planned work to finish our dissertation to our committee, and have them pick it apart over the course of an afternoon or so.

Edited by Eigen

Dang Eigen!

That's intense! Are you at a US school?

We have two: Cumulative Exams, and Prospectus...

Our cumes are general exams in each major sub-discipline given once per month. Subjects are completely random, and the exam rotates between professors in each sub-discipline. You have to pass 2 within your first two years, and a total of 6 by the end of your third year, three must be from your chosen sub-discipline. They're kinda soul-crushing, just because the pass rate is so low- and the topics can be completely out of nowhere.

Our Prospectus is where we have to give an overview of our work so far and our planned work to finish our dissertation to our committee, and have them pick it apart over the course of an afternoon or so.

Yeah.

At least there aren't "penalties" for failing a cume, so you get a lot of tries... But it can be demoralizing after you fail your first half dozen or so.

We also have a presentation we have to give in our second year- we have to give a departmental seminar (as part of our normal seminar series) that's a comprehensive review of a field *not* directly related to our research. It's always fun to prepare :D

Edited by Eigen

• 5 years later...

At my institution, the folks I know who are in the sciences call them comps, and the humanities people call them quals ... no idea why, as our qualifying exams are much more "comprehensive" in terms of scope than the scientists' comps, which largely focus on their own research.