2009 Application: Religion-Theology-Philosophy of Religion

demondeac

So does anyone have any theories about UVA? It definitely looks like at least some of the process involves rolling admission - more specifically, people have been slowly contacted about being waitlisted. But does that mean all the accepted students were already notified? Or is there a chance that we may be accepted (or waitlisted) when we hear this week, even if we haven't heard anything yet? (I hope so, though certainly wouldn't bet on it).

This is your chance to make wild speculations, people!

UVA's top picks have definitely been notified. I do not know whether an official wait-list letter means you are "more" wait-listed than a simple lack of contact. It would seems so, but then again some arbitrary factor like the alphabetical order of your last name might determine when you get a wait-list letter, who knows...

To the person interested in UVA's MA/Ph.D. program in Buddhism, PM me because I think I could help you with your question.

To the rest of you waiting on UVA, I should let you know that at least one student who was admitted into UVA's Ph.D. program was visiting grounds, meeting with professors, and sitting in on classes. S/he was in Religious Ethics, and there's also another student in Religious Ethics who deferred from last year, who was visiting grounds before moving here. I don't know much about either of them--all I know I gleaned from running into them around grounds.

Again, don't go slitting your wrists because I have a feeling they're slow-rolling to make sure they can offer their limited funding packages as many times as possible to different students (after some reject them).

@emmyphil:

i was also accepted to duke div school but have not heard about funding yet.

btw, who are you talking about sending money to by tuesday? not duke div, right? cuz i didn't think the response deadline was that soon...

The official word from UVA is: "Everyone should be notified by the end of this month." My most recent inquiry resulted in that quote and a carefully phrased statement which said that no official letters of acceptance, waitlisting, or rejection had yet been authorized to be sent my way. I couldn't help but laugh at the intentional and unapologetic ambiguity. Gee whiz, what a crazy process this is!

Accepted: Marquette (no funding), U. of Dayton (tuition remission + stipend)

Pending: UVA

Rejected: Yale, SMU, Harvard, Duke (ThD), Emory, Chicago, PTS

don't know if this helps anyone, but i'm 90% sure i will not be going to UVA for an MA in Theology, Ethics, and Culture.

also, chicago is not currently my first choice for MA - history of xianity, ox, but that may change w/visiting.

I've seen this issue creep up in other discipline's threads, but are there religious studies departments where having an MA (versus applying for a post-bachelor PhD) will hurt you?

Maybe in other disciplines, but I don't think an MA (or equivalent) hurts at all in religious studies. In fact, I think a majority of doctoral students enter into a program with a masters degree. And many of the religion and theology professors at my school also had an MA (or equivalent) and PhD.

So, is BU a "no phone call, no admit school?" No one, in past years, has posted notification "via phone." Or, did a faculty member, with whom you have had personal contact, call you. I thought we were to hear by post? What's the deal?

p.s. I am in the "Religion and Society" stream

Congrats demondeac!!

I was accepted to Drew (80% funding) and Harvard's Th.M. and waitlisted FOUR other places. So things are unclear to say the least at this point.

On the other hand, if anyone was accepted to Theology at Fordham, BC, or Duke (Th.D.) and not going, kindly let me know. :)

We should start a thread on where everyone is going soon, no?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the support. Unfortunately, it looks like I will be heading to Atlanta, where my wife matched for her medical residency, so I guess I will be sitting it out a year and reapplying at Emory next year. But the good news is that should open up another spot in Theology at BU, so best of luck to all!

BU rejection today. i am shocked since i told them i was willing to do the unfunded MA part if not the PhD since i am trying to change academic directions (from religion/ancient history to history of science/religion). now what?

I'm sorry mconsul, re: BU. I was away for a week, but came home to no letter from BU. I'm in Canada, so maybe it will take a little longer.

I am surprised only three people have posted on the results search re: BU. I was hoping to get an idea of how many they took this year. Hopefully, I will get some good news for them. This whole process has been really depressing.