2009 Application: Religion-Theology-Philosophy of Religion

demondeac

Hi all- Just found this forum. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who cares about grad school apps, and has the fingernail-biting-waiting-to-be-accepted-or-rejected-I'm-probably-basing-too-much-of-my-self-worth-on-an-application mentality that goes along with it. I've applied to Notre Dame MTS, BC MTS, Duke MTS, and Yale MAR for studies in Christian history. I look forward to seeing how things go with everyone the next few weeks.

I just wanted to contribute my info since reading gradcafe has been a solace during these hards times. I am the one who posted the Indiana acceptance, so I am now psychologically stable enough to talk about this stuff. I am a Harvard MTS also so if anyone want's any advice on that program let me know.

So far:

Acceptance: Indiana

Rejected: Princeton, Harvard, UCLA

Waiting: Notre Dame (history), Yale, Columbia, UCSB, Boston University

Best of luck to everyone!

Now we have an "accepted via website" for UVa, posted today but dated for the 25th, congrats to whoever you are, are you Theology, Ethics and Culture? Are you certain you are accepting? How does it feel to get a golden ticket? Are you too cool for forums? If I don't get in may I live vicariously through you for the next four years? OK... I'm done now. Seriously, congrats.

I posted the acceptance to Columbia. I received a phone call from a professor on Wednesday afternoon wanting to know if I had accepted an offer somewhere else. When I said no, she said a formal acceptance letter would be sent out later this week. I'm about 86% sure I won't be taking the offer because I was admitted to my top choice as well, but I'm planning on going down to visit some time in March. My impression is that the program is quite small - does anyone know anything about it?

I posted the acceptance to Columbia. I received a phone call from a professor on Wednesday afternoon wanting to know if I had accepted an offer somewhere else. When I said no, she said a formal acceptance letter would be sent out later this week. I'm about 86% sure I won't be taking the offer because I was admitted to my top choice as well, but I'm planning on going down to visit some time in March. My impression is that the program is quite small - does anyone know anything about it?

That might depend on what you do... The program is perhaps smaller than some others. I certainly like the people in philosophy there. Made the terrible mistake of applying to just 2 programs. I'm waitlisted in the other one. I was quite disappointed with not having heard from Columbia yet when I saw your post yesterday which had me think it was probably already too late... thanks for posting.

I just saw someone post an acceptance from Fuller Theological Seminary for PhD in NT.

If you're here, can you give more detail?

I was under the impression that decisions wouldn't be made until Mid March. Has anyone else heard from Fuller?

Hi all. I know I asked this the other day, but has anyone applied to Boston College's School of Theology and Ministry? I applied to the Phd in Theology and Education. I know they met this week, but have no clue how they're contacting people or whether anyone has been contacted yet.

While I was perusing through the accept/reject posts from U. Chicago Divinity School last year, I noticed a number of people commented on how UC Div. mainly recruits Ph.D. applicants from their own M.A. students (since they have to practically sell a kidney in order to pay for tuition and since they're already socialized to the program). Having traveled to UC last fall and met with the faculty in my specialization area (AASR) as well as the dean of students, I thought I had a decent chance of getting in. Since they only admit one or two students a year through AASR, and now that I know their preferences, I'm getting nervous.

Can any of you who are currently in the M.A. program shed any light on this?

NRMscholar-The only things I know of Chicago are from last year's forum but I do remember reading a post that said the Div. school emphasized they do not usually pull as much from their own MA students as they did last year, so take that for what it is worth, I believe that was specifically talking about Philosophy of Religion.

Status Update:

- an acceptance from Marquette for PhD in Religious Studies with no funding.

- a rejection from Duke's ThD (where I am currently finishing an MTS)

- a rejection from Princeton Seminary for PhD in theology

- a rejection from Yale for PhD in Phil of Religion

- a rejection from SMU for PhD in Theology

Still waiting for Harvard (PhD), Emory, UVA, Chicago, & DAyton.

Things are definitely not going to plan.

jcesarps,

I got a letter from SMU in the mail yesterday (Saturday, Feb 28th) saying I was rejected. There was no email or website communication of their decision - just that horribly disappointing letter. Ugh. Anyway, I hope that helps. Best of luck. Peace.

Hi all,

I'm currently a Ph.D. student in Theology, Ethics, and Culture at UVA. If you have any particular questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Unless you think other people will be interested, perhaps PM me?

In general, I've found that UVA's TEC isn't as suited to dealing with students who aren't very interested in Christian theology.

Hi all,

I'm currently a Ph.D. student in Theology, Ethics, and Culture at UVA. If you have any particular questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Unless you think other people will be interested, perhaps PM me?

In general, I've found that UVA's TEC isn't as suited to dealing with students who aren't very interested in Christian theology.

What are schools were you considering? And what made you choose UVA?

Just got a rejection letter in the mail today for the PhD from Harvard. For those still waiting, I didn't get an email and there wasn't info on the website. ...I strongly suspect this is what purgatory will feel like...but perhaps not quite as tormenting.

Accepted: Marquette (no funding)

Rejected: Duke (Thd), Princeton Theological Seminary, Yale, SMU, Harvard (PhD)

Pending: Emory, UVA, Chicago, Dayton

Two years ago, SLU took forever to get back to me. I had already made my decisions by the time they contacted me with a notice of acceptence.

So, I'd be patient with them, they seem to have a long process.

theostudent said:
Is there anyone else here who's applied to the MTS/MA programs at ND, Duke, or SLU? Seems like they should be sending out notifications soon, since at least ND and SLU were supposed to meet at the end of February.

Lots of anxious waiting on ND over here, too.