2009 Application: Religion-Theology-Philosophy of Religion

demondeac

Has anyone heard from Emory? Any waitlisters? Any invitees?

In Hebrew Bible, they said that they've sent out the first round of acceptances, but that they may have one more spot open. From what I've heard, that's pretty typical for Emory -- they tend to invite people gradually, up to very late.

YES! First acceptance, and to my top choice, too-- UCLA! UCLA might seem an odd choice to some of you theology guys, but I'm in Buddhist Studies and it's the best program in the country in my field (through Asian L&L, not Religion)!

To the above posters who haven't gotten in anywhere yet-- I just realized with this acceptance that the world is not over. Like the above poster, as I told him in a PM, I was devastated by my Washington rejection, and was totally depressed. You guys will all get in somewhere, I hope!

Good luck to you all!!!!

Has anybody else had problems with Marquette's site? One of my professors was calling every week for a month before they finally posted that his recommendation letter had been received, and now that everything is posted, my application status still says "incomplete" (and I mean, every part of the application listed below says "Received (Official)"). I've emailed both the grad school and the department, still waiting on a response. I was hoping maybe someone else had this problem and it turned out to be a non-problem. I guess there is the offchance that they'll let me know my admission status! (ha! unlikely).

-E.S.

I just talked to the Graduate School at Marquette (my application was fine!) and the woman I spoke to said that all of the files (including mine) had already been returned--with admission decisions--from the theology department to the Graduate School and that I would hear "literally any day now." To anyone else applying: don't stop refreshing your email. You might miss it!

I was accepted to Marquette! I just got the letter (via the application) - and I had checked an hour ago (lame, I know) and it wasn't there. Anyhow, they say that they've reviewed my application but can't offer financial aid at this time -- I don't know if that's just standard form letter for "we'll get back to you" or if that means I was accepted literally without aid (c'mon Marquette, don't be ridiculous!). Anyhow, this was my first acceptance!

I was accepted to Marquette! I just got the letter (via the application) - and I had checked an hour ago (lame, I know) and it wasn't there. Anyhow, they say that they've reviewed my application but can't offer financial aid at this time -- I don't know if that's just standard form letter for "we'll get back to you" or if that means I was accepted literally without aid (c'mon Marquette, don't be ridiculous!). Anyhow, this was my first acceptance!

Congrats!

I totally called that though. :D

Ditto on the congrats!

I'm sure the procedure is different for the MA and PhD programs (I was accepted into the former w/o funding), but I believe that the initial acceptance letter does in fact mean that there isn't funding available right away. I emailed a couple contacts at Marquette, and tuition scholarships at the masters level are very limited this year (no surprise there). The final funding situation, however, won't be finalized until April. Here's hoping that some people in line ahead of us drop out. :)

Have MA and MTS programs started contacting people? I got an email newsletter from Emory today saying that they were inviting admitted MDiv and MTS students to a weekend thing in March and just went---"Oh my God, everyone's admitted yet who's going to be."

I did not think I'd be losing it like this. And yet.

my experience with MTS programs and the like was that they waited until the last minute. that isn't always the case, of course, but I found out decisions about when they said they'd tell me (so mid-march for HDS, sooner for Duke, as seems to be the case this year too). I think the priority for some programs is the doctoral decisions/notifications. but not always.

Waitlisted at Emory....the only place I applied...hmmm...well, it's not over yet, i guess.

I'm assuming you attended the interview weekend? I know the website says you don't have to be asked to the interview to get an offer, but I assumed that was just covering the possibility that droves of accepted students went elsewhere...

Thousandsuns, you should feel like a total badass for getting waitlisted, it definitely is not over!

whakare:

i applied to columbia in the past (religion) and they didn't give out answers until early march, and i think i found out early by emailing the grad school (apps are sent there by dept for official notification and i don't think they minded telling me).

mconsul - i found results this morning by logging on to https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=harvard-dv

i had applied to the ThD program, and received this email yesterday:

--------

Dear (onledevient),

The ThD program admissions committee is finalizing the process of reviewing applications.

Admissions decisions will be available online beginning at 5:00 PM EST - Friday, February 20, 2009. To learn your decision, please log on to your online application at that time.

In addition, a hard copy of the letter will be mailed to the address on file Tuesday, February 24, 2009. Admitted students will receive their financial aid award letter in the admissions package.

Thank you for applying to Harvard Divinity School!

Best wishes,

Office of Admissions

Harvard Divinity School

------

if you didn't get the email, i suggest contacting the admissions office today just to make sure they have the correct contact info for you. you might also double check your junk mail.

good luck!

This morning I received a phone call from my potential adviser at Fordham informing me that I had been accepted and recommended for a competitive funding package. It was a nice, personal conversation and he said that official information would be arriving from the Graduate School within the week. He also said that they request all admittees to accept or decline by April 1.

I applied to Historical Theology, by the way. Not much news beyond that.