2009 Application: Religion-Theology-Philosophy of Religion

demondeac

So this may be kind of funny/nerdy/neurotic, but I just thought I'd mention that last year's religion thread (whom we all have probably read at least 3 times) didn't even start until February 8 of last year. So my plan (having run out of other neurotic rituals) is to each day read all the posts from the previous year (but same day). So on February 8 I will celebrate the beginning of the 2008 thread something like this: Turn now to the book of humanities, religion, first page 13th post. Amen and amen. :)

I don't think UVA is quick at processing the apps-- I remember last year people talking about how they took exceedingly long. Actually the only reason my adviser knew about me is because I am an auto-reject-- she told me she's retiring and not taking any more PhD students. And she's the ONLY person I could study with there, the only person in my tiny subfield with a very unique language set.

I didn't actually ask her about my decision, I e-mailed her about an article she had written. She just told me out of the kindness of her heart-- probably didn't want me dragging out hopes until March.

So Genghis, I think someone followed in your footsteps and emailed UVA; there's a post for an acceptance as of this morning saying that they emailed the program and found out they were accepted. If UVA was a live option for me I'd probably do the same at this point, and just get it over with. :D

It can't be determined for the post that was just put on Results Search, but everyone else who has heard from UVa and has posted here has been History of Religions- Buddhism, which one can certainly imagine getting less apps than Theology, Ethics, and Culture and thus processing those apps more quickly. I'm going to hold off on the email for other reasons too, but if any Theology, Ethics, and Culture people do email somebody over there please share.

I'm wondering if the person who just posted the UVA acceptance is just a vindictive bastard and making it up (not androidhu, the new one). The reason? Also today someone posted an acceptance to Berkeley South Asian Studies, the other program from which I have been rejected. He/she is the first person in the history of this site to post about the tiny Berkeley South Asian department (other than me). I think they had like 15 applicants this year, based on counting the e-mail addresses listed in the departmental mass e-mails to applicants. The chance that one of those people is on gradcafe is exceedingly small.

I hope they're fakes. I'm clinging to that hope. Otherwise I just took a huge kick to the nuts.

And who just posted a Harvard rejection? I'm assuming it was for the Committee on the Study of Religion PhD, and not the ThD through the div school (if it's legit). As for the Harvard and UVA post, I'm just not going to even consider it reputable unless someone talks about it on the thread.

Genghis, you've got nothing to worry about, but I think you need to come back to threat level orange buddy. :D

If anyone is applying to Yale (the Religious Studies department, not the Divinity School), I was told that the departmental committee is meeting around Feb 20. Apparently, first the subfields review their applications, then each faculty member nominates one applicant, then the departmental committee meets and decides on a final list of 10-12 or so, and forwards these to the Graduate School for approval (usually all are approved). So, people can expect to hear from the Graduate School by early/mid march, if not earlier.

Also, for my subfield (Ancient Christianity), there are approximately 30 applicants this year, and they usually take one student :| (is there such a thing as a barfing face? there really should be)

cavedan: you'll find that to be a typical acceptance rate for most programs in that field. it can be (believe it or not) worse elsewhere. for instance, at Brown, the dept is fairly small with I think 6 fields. a few years ago, the grad school told the dept that they could admit 5 students for 6 programs. so one program didn't even get a student that year! (as it turns out, though, that may not be the case since they make more offers than they hope to get based on past offer/acceptance ratios.)

but a lot of departments in ancient christianity or something related only take a student or two. but there's always a chance there'll be one more since they need to make more offers than spots (and won't retract an offer), and sometimes you can hope on the waitlist. last year I had a spot at Duke (ancient christianity) but had to turn it down, so somebody else got it!

After seeing the Harvard NELC results, I emailed the chair of the dept., who promptly emailed me the rejection I've anticipated. Harvard was my top choice (as I've been auditing a class in the dept. for the past year) and "best fit"...so, best of luck everyone.

I'm now waiting until March 15, when my plan B of another Masters program comes a-calling (or following this trend: doesn't come a-calling).

Hi Folks,

Please disregard the previous Harvard posting.I was told by a professor at Harvard today, Friday,Feb 6 that they just finished making the decision at 5pm this evening for both the PhD( Committee) and ThD (Div Sch.) applications.He said the next stage is for both the Chair of the Committee and the Dean of the Div Sch to decide on the number of the recommended admits they can support.He said due to the tight budget caused by the financial crisis, there would probably be between 10-12 admissions for the PhD and ThD combined.This is big drop since a total of 18 people enrolled last year.So keep your fingers crossed.I believe however that there should be hope for anyone who is shortlisted since most people who get into Harvard also get into Princeton and most end up choosing the latter.I know this happened last year.

I was told by a professor at Harvard today, Friday,Feb 6 that they just finished making the decision at 5pm this evening for both the PhD( Committee) and ThD (Div Sch.) applications.

Welcome kookoo...we also welcome your inside track information :wink:

That's probably bad news for me since they still aren't posting 2 out of 3 of my transcripts, despite the fact I have sent 3 copies! I need to start thinking of snide ways I can let both respective registrar offices know they cost me an acceptance. I was thinking of calling and canceling all 3 copies....could be awkward and fun all at the same time...

So kookoo, what's your connection to Harvard?

I am a student in the Religion PhD program at Harvard.I found the company of other applicants on gradcafe helpful when I was going through the waiting process so I decided to share what I was told.I have previous posts on gradcafe but I could not remember my password since I had not been up here in a while.

That's probably bad news for me since they still aren't posting 2 out of 3 of my transcripts, despite the fact I have sent 3 copies! I need to start thinking of snide ways I can let both respective registrar offices know they cost me an acceptance. I was thinking of calling and canceling all 3 copies....could be awkward and fun all at the same time...

deamondeac, if you're referring to the online indicators of what you've turned in, I know I've seen at least a few posts around here about how inaccurate they can be. One person even spoke of still having items "missing" months after acceptance. Maybe Harvard's on the ball enough to be worried though, who knows?

kookoo is probably right. i spoke with someone in the Committee (a prof) and she said that the results will probably be known in 2 weeks, but that she could find out if i'd made the short list for me if i wanted. she could have been saying she could find out before that time but not yet, but i think she meant that she could find out now.

My advice-- call NOW! I have had problems with materials being processed (Penn)-- and often a single phone call can straighten things out- that was the case for me. You should have your application status complete now. On the GSAS website they give you a number you can call from 2-5pm, M-F. Please don't throw away your app fee and chance of admission just because you are hesitant to call!!! The secretary at GSAS was very polite and accommodating-- she would not mind if you called. That is a large part of her job.

If you are talking about the Div school and not CSREL your status should be posted by now. My online status indicates a complete application. You can call HDS and talk to a guy named Dana to confirm your status. He is curt but professional.

Hi Folks,

Please disregard the previous Harvard posting.I was told by a professor at Harvard today, Friday,Feb 6 that they just finished making the decision at 5pm this evening for both the PhD( Committee) and ThD (Div Sch.) applications.He said the next stage is for both the Chair of the Committee and the Dean of the Div Sch to decide on the number of the recommended admits they can support.He said due to the tight budget caused by the financial crisis, there would probably be between 10-12 admissions for the PhD and ThD combined.This is big drop since a total of 18 people enrolled last year.So keep your fingers crossed.I believe however that there should be hope for anyone who is shortlisted since most people who get into Harvard also get into Princeton and most end up choosing the latter.I know this happened last year.

I don't quite understand. Were you the poster of that result? Maybe they have already told the clear rejects and/or admits but are waiting on us middling folks. That poster could be correct even if most decisions aren't out yet-- I know my status for UVa already (rejection) even though almost nobody has been officially notified yet.

i am waiting for a mysterious letter. I live in Thailand, and any international mail sent through EMS, etc, is held in the office of my apt building. I got a notice for a piece of mail, and saw it last night at 7:30-- office already closed. I have been waiting up all night, unable to sleep. It is now 8:58 am. I have not slept. 2 more minutes until the office opens. Its probably just a letter from my grandmother-in-law, but I'm hoping its from a school. I've called everyone in my side of the family (not my wife's) asking them if they sent a package-- all said no.

Wish me luck. The time taken writing this has brought with it post-9 am status. I'm going down now. I really need prayers now! In return I will pray for all of you (in my tradition we don't exactly pray but still extend good will towards others)!

I don't quite understand. Were you the poster of that result? Maybe they have already told the clear rejects and/or admits but are waiting on us middling folks. That poster could be correct even if most decisions aren't out yet-- I know my status for UVa already (rejection) even though almost nobody has been officially notified yet.

No I wasn't the poster.I am continuing student in the CSREL program.The poster on the results page was probably notified by a prof. he/she knows after the decisions were made yesterday.During my time the chair and my adviser sent out congratulatory emails before I got my acceptance packet in the mail a week and half later.

i am waiting for a mysterious letter. I live in Thailand, and any international mail sent through EMS, etc, is held in the office of my apt building. I got a notice for a piece of mail, and saw it last night at 7:30-- office already closed. I have been waiting up all night, unable to sleep. It is now 8:58 am. I have not slept. 2 more minutes until the office opens. Its probably just a letter from my grandmother-in-law, but I'm hoping its from a school. I've called everyone in my side of the family (not my wife's) asking them if they sent a package-- all said no.

Wish me luck. The time taken writing this has brought with it post-9 am status. I'm going down now. I really need prayers now! In return I will pray for all of you (in my tradition we don't exactly pray but still extend good will towards others)!

Goddamnit just a bullshit letter from my mother in law

My advice-- call NOW! I have had problems with materials being processed (Penn)-- and often a single phone call can straighten things out- that was the case for me. You should have your application status complete now. On the GSAS website they give you a number you can call from 2-5pm, M-F. Please don't throw away your app fee and chance of admission just because you are hesitant to call!!! The secretary at GSAS was very polite and accommodating-- she would not mind if you called. That is a large part of her job.

If you are talking about the Div school and not CSREL your status should be posted by now. My online status indicates a complete application. You can call HDS and talk to a guy named Dana to confirm your status. He is curt but professional.

I applied only to the ThD in the Divinity School (thought it was a better fit). I did call and speak to someone at the Divinity School about this problem, though I think "curt" was not the word I would use to describe it :? . I explained my situation, and he told me "do whatever you feel like is appropriate." I had already sent three sets of both missing transcripts, but I simply can't make them recognize my transcripts. I appreciate your passion Genghis, but short of driving to Cambridge with a copy there isn't much else I can do. I think I had the good fortune of including xerox copies of my transcripts with my supplementary materials, but if the deal is done and I have been found lacking, so be it.

So within the last day or so, one of my two missing transcripts has been recorded as "received" on the Harvard website. So not only have they been working over the weekend, but they have even been updating the website! That's dedication, and now I feel bad for calling them out on not getting my multiple transcripts :oops: . I'm going to try to not read into this (...like why would they update materials received if I was already rejected?.....).

So last year someone posted a Vanderbilt acceptance call on February 8...which is today. Since acceptances and rejections usually rest on "the Lord's Day", perhaps we'll hear something tomorrow, or perhaps Friday (since last year 2/8 was a Friday)? Speculate away!!! Any other scuttlebutt on smoke-filled backrooms and department dealings?

deamondeac:

don't torture yourself. just email someone at harvard. the decisions have been made, and if past years are any indication, there's a chance that if things don't go well, you may not find out until the end of the month or well into next month. get it over with.

and admission offers are down this year, as someone else said. i was told 10 or so, which is low for harvard.