2009 Application: Religion-Theology-Philosophy of Religion

demondeac

I heard a rumor that Emory just had someone turn them down, so they will be turning to the waitlist for another. However, which dept. will get the lucky waitlister is unknown. I withdrew my app there this week so I'm no longer on the mysterious waitlist-that-we're-not-going-to-tell-you-is-a-waitlist.

Best of luck!

thanks for the help! i'm tempted to call them and just ask about it....i don't think that priority is based on program areas...i think they just go to the wait list and take the first student off of it and throw them in no matter what program area they have applied to....

let's talk harvard-yale-chicago divinity (for entirely selfish reasons).

what have you heard about these programs? similarities-differences-problems-challenges etc?

wikipedia (hah) suggests that yale is the most ministry-oriented, then harvard, and lastly chicago. to reverse that, it suggests that chicago is the most academic, then harvard, then yale.

thoughts?

Was rejected from BU via post on Friday. I have wanted to work with someone at BU for a number of years, so I was really upset.

Went 0/4 this year, first year applying. Will reapply.

If anyone is willing to provide a successful SOP, please PM me. Canadian "Research Proposals" are a little different, so I would like to get a better idea of what's needed in an SOP.

Good luck to all!

let's talk harvard-yale-chicago divinity (for entirely selfish reasons).

what have you heard about these programs? similarities-differences-problems-challenges etc?

wikipedia (hah) suggests that yale is the most ministry-oriented, then harvard, and lastly chicago. to reverse that, it suggests that chicago is the most academic, then harvard, then yale.

thoughts?

@artandrelig, Can you post the Wikipedia link or tell where to find that kind of ranking?

@artandrelig, Can you post the Wikipedia link or tell where to find that kind of ranking?

well, i did a google search "harvard divinity versus yale divinity" in my desperation. i got the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Divinity_School

under hte "History" section, this is written:

"Today [Harvard's] students and faculty come from a variety of religious backgrounds, Christian (all denominations), Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, etc. Its academic programs attempt to balance theology and religious studies, that is, the "believer's" perspective on religion with the "secular" perspective on religion. This is in contrast to many other divinity schools where one or the other is given primacy (Yale Divinity School, for example, emphasizes its ministry program, while the University of Chicago Divinity School sees the majority of students enroll in its "religious studies" Master of Arts program)."

this is, of course, wikipedia. so. maybe a uchicago or yale student wrote that part, or maybe dean graham did :P

artandrelig -

Thanks for the blurb! However it doesn't seem like the two statements are necessarily related. The Wiki makes it seem like secularism is antithetical to ministry and that belief is antithetical to academia. I'd expect a more ministry-oriented program to feature more classes and programs in pastoral care, missions, etc. rather than more "believer" faculty.

• 3 months later...
artandrelig -

Thanks for the blurb! However it doesn't seem like the two statements are necessarily related. The Wiki makes it seem like secularism is antithetical to ministry and that belief is antithetical to academia. I'd expect a more ministry-oriented program to feature more classes and programs in pastoral care, missions, etc. rather than more "believer" faculty.

Secularism is antithetical to ministry, unless you are ministering the Word of secularism.

Why would a non-believer want "classes and programs in pastoral care, missions, etc.?" Those who want that go to a school that will offer that -- Harvard or Yale. Those who don't go where that course of study really isn't emphasized. If there are larger numbers in theologically-related programs than not, odds are it's more theological, and less philosophical.