2009 Application: Religion-Theology-Philosophy of Religion

demondeac

I agree.Deamondeac,I think you might have a point.When I applied I forgot to fill out the financial part of the application so when I got an email sometime in February asking me to fill that part out I knew it was a good sign since they would not have asked me to do it if I had been rejected.So let's hope your situation is also an indicator of something good.And just so you all know,I was told by the Harvard prof who gave me the scope on when they completed the admissions process that the admissions committee does not consider the GREs at all.Zero consideration.He said it is only when they take the list of the recommended admits to the Dean of the FAS that they look at the GREs.He said the Dean's office is only interested in the GRE but almost always the Dean goes with the list even if someone has a low GRE score.

demondeac:

I have also had trouble with the Harvard online app status. I applied to the ThD program in ethics, and my GRE scores are still not showing up ( I had them sent from ETS in mid-December). I talked to whoever it is in the Harvard theology admissions dept., and they asked that I mail my copy of the scores ( This was mid-January). As of last week I emailed them again because the scores were still not showing, and they said by this point in the process they have to move on to MDiv applicants and will do little updating of online status, even if they had received the materials.

deamondeac:

don't torture yourself. just email someone at harvard. the decisions have been made, and if past years are any indication, there's a chance that if things don't go well, you may not find out until the end of the month or well into next month. get it over with.

Mconsul, I went ahead and emailed. Only I was unsure whom to email: I sent an email to one of the Assistant Deans of admission, two days ago, but haven't heard anything yet. Ordinarily I would email the faculty I had been in contact with, but since Harvard doesn't post faculty emails, I had to go through their secretaries, most of whom never replied. I was able to make very brief contact with one faculty member, but I'm not sure it was significant enough to send the "hey, remember me?" email. Any ideas on whom might be the best faculty or administrator to contact to find out?

On a happier note, congrats to the folks accepted to Emory! :mrgreen: (green with envy)

On a happier note, congrats to the folks accepted to Emory! :mrgreen: (green with envy)

And congrats to those who got into the doctoral program at Graduate Theological Union! From what I hear, it's a nice blend of university and seminary in the Bay Area. Hope you get more good news when it comes to funding.

FINALLY.

My first acceptance: Catholic University of America, Dept. of Semitic and Egyptian Languages and Literatures.

I received a call from the graduate school wanting updated transcripts since I was "admitted". No word from the Department on funding or anything else. This will make waiting a little less stressful.

Congrats academicricket!! I love D.C. I have heard it is difficult to get funded there but I also know of somebody who is being well taken care of so I hope you end up like him. CUA is on my list for next year if the next couple of months don't go very well. I received a letter from Villanova yesterday and.... they needed a transcript. The truly sad thing is that it kind of felt good that a program has at least recognized I am actually alive. The wait is brutal but luckily I have a thesis to distract myself with :roll: . 

Anyone heard from HDS? I imagine they will be moving from Doctoral to Masters apps soon... Gahh!! I had a problem with a letter of rec, I hope it gets resolved on time >.<

I just heard from HDS...after sending an email to the grad coordinator, I found out I was not admitted :cry: . She said they only admitted 6 ThDs, so best of luck to everyone else. Now, where is my Glenfiddich 18 year....

I got rejected from UW today (Asian Lang and Lit). That one really hurt. Have you ever seen a 6'4" 230 lb guy cry? Well if you were at my house tonight you would have.

i am seriously suicidal at this point. Everything I have worked for in my life thus far has turned to shit. It doesn't help that I am about to get married and am secretly gay. I seriously think I might end it tonight.

Genghis, I'm so sorry to hear about the rejection. I see on your sig that you applied to a number of places, and most haven't gotten back to you yet; many schools are only starting to make their decisions now. There's still a very good chance that somewhere else will send an acceptance, or that you'll get in on a waitlist if other people turn down the offers -- just look at all the waitlist offers that happened last year!

I'm very concerned that you're feeling that way. Do you have a local friend, someone you trust, whom you could talk to or visit for the evening? I know that things seem difficult right now, but they can and will change. I think that you said in another post that you're from Singapore; if so, then you can call 800-221-4444 or 000-227-0309 to talk to someone about how you're feeling. Please consider calling them or calling a friend if you're considering doing something serious.

Genghis, I'm so sorry to hear about the rejection. I see on your sig that you applied to a number of places, and most haven't gotten back to you yet; many schools are only starting to make their decisions now. There's still a very good chance that somewhere else will send an acceptance, or that you'll get in on a waitlist if other people turn down the offers -- just look at all the waitlist offers that happened last year!

I'm very concerned that you're feeling that way. Do you have a local friend, someone you trust, whom you could talk to or visit for the evening? I know that things seem difficult right now, but they can and will change. I think that you said in another post that you're from Singapore; if so, then you can call 800-221-4444 or 000-227-0309 to talk to someone about how you're feeling. Please consider calling them or calling a friend if you're considering doing something serious.

Thanks for all the support from you guys. I got some very kind PMs. Don't worry, I wouldn't really do anything drastic, I was extremely drunk when I wrote the above post and was really depressed. I'm ok now though.

For the programs weighing heavy on my mind I am guessing Vandy has got to be notifying the "chosen ones" soon or they will risk their faves being wooed elsewhere and UVa has probably narrowed down their field to the admittees plus two or three folks on the bubble (I'm thinking Theology, Ethics, and Culture).

I just found this page, so I'm getting a late start posting here. Broadly speaking, I'm interested in doing constructive theological work via insights from 20th century philosophy (particularly hermeneutics). My interests are centered upon two loci: hermeneutics/theological method and the point of intersection between Trinitarian theology, Christology, and theological anthropology.

Anyhow, here's a list of the PhD programs I've applied to as well as my creds:

Programs (in order of priority)

UVA - Theology Ethics Culture - Religious Theological and Philosophical Studies

Yale - Theology

University of Chicago - Theology

Marquette - Theology and Society

Duke - Christian Theological Studies (Rejected)

B.A. in Philosophy from Gordon College,

M.T.S. from Notre Dame in History of Christianity: GPA 3.75.

Recommendations from Cyril O'Regan, Matt Ashley, and Jennifer Herdt.

GRE: 1450 (though a relatively low verbal).

Koine Greek (advanced), Latin (intermediate), and French (reading).

Article published in Lyceum (small journal).

I am going crazy waiting and am checking my email as well as this site every ten minutes!

-E.S.