2009 Application: Religion-Theology-Philosophy of Religion

demondeac

eskidd said:
Sbyoda:

It sounds like you are pretty competitive, I would apply anywhere and everywhere you want to go. The only thing that would keep you out of any school would be pure arbitrariness (which is a strong factor, I admit). BC/Weston places students in awesome programs. And from what I can tell, Catholic sexual ethics is a niche that will actually help you (unlike philosophy of religion and patristics, which should be avoided like the plague). I imagine that BC is the best place for you to be, what with Lisa Cahill. Don't worry about not being published, it's pretty rare, by no means expected, and I don't know anyone who was accepted in ND's incoming PhD class who was. Emory and Fordham might also be a good place to look, they have awesome people for feminist studies and I'm pretty sure Fordham does a lot in sexual ethics. You should also check out ND, it wouldn't be as strong in that area I don't think, but there are a couple of people you could work with (Cathy Hilkert is wonderful).

Sbyoda, I agree with eskidd about your competitive credentials and the not worrying about publishing, but also about the unfortunate uncertainty of the doctoral admission process. With so many strong applicants and so few spots, it's just really difficult to gauge the likelihood of admission, especially at a top-tier school (which is what a lot of us are going through right now). But several professors have told me the significance of the SoP and submitting a polished writing sample, which is probably advice countless others in this forum can attest to have heard as well. In terms of where you have done masters work (and where letters of recommendation come from), I've heard applicants from more well-known programs have a slight advantage, but I was at Emory's Finalists Weekend a few weekends ago and there were applicants (I think about 40 in all) from a myriad of schools: Duke, Union Sem, BC, BU, Harvard, Yale, Princeton Sem, Emory, Columbia Sem, ND, Chicago, Vanderbilt, TCU, WUSTL, Rice, Villanova, and I didn't come close to meeting all of the folks there.

I noticed about five posts of both rejections and acceptances from Princeton Theological Seminary. Does anyone have any information on the process at PTS?

Notification of PhD acceptance at PTS has gone out via email, presumably to those who provided an email address on their applications. PTS does not normally notify those who have been either waitlisted or rejected via email. That will come via snail mail only. The rejections posted thus far are probably from those who have on-campus mailboxes at PTS, as letters are typically sent out the second-to-last Friday in February. I have heard from various applicants on campus that PTS is taking fewer PhD students this year. Good luck to all still waiting to hear!

Has anyone else received a strange finaid letter from Claremont School of Theology, asking for more info in order to award a finaid package?

It was so oddly worded, almost as if they assumed I had already received an offer of admission, which I haven't as of yet. I applied to the PhD program in Practical Theology.

In fact, has anyone heard from CST at all?

Has anyone applied to the School of Theology and Ministry at Boston College? I applied to the doctoral program in Theology and Education and was wondering if anyone has heard anything yet or has any information. Thanks.

I applied there as well, and haven't heard from them yet...good luck!

I haven't heard anything from UVA, and my status online still says pending. (BTW, does everyone else's say at the top "you status is complete"? Because that cracks me up everytime.) If you look at the records from last year, it looks like there were a few waves of notifications, and that people were being accepted from the beginning until the end. I think we're all still in the game. Though honestly, I'd rather here sooner than later.

For those interested.

I received:

- an acceptance from Marquette for PhD in Religious Studies with no funding.

- a rejection from Duke's ThD (where I am currently finishing an MTS)

- a rejection from Princeton Seminary for PhD in theology

I can't find anything from UVA beyond the fact that I'm still pending. I'm also still waiting to hear from Harvard (PhD), Yale, Chicago (which said decisions are being finalized this week with notifications going out by the week of March 9th at the latest), Emory, SMU, and Dayton.

The wait is killing me...

And the seventh angel sounded the seventh trumpet, and the online application page was no longer visible on the University of Chicago website. The end is nigh brethren and sistren...

At least for me...anybody else? Could just be the "hard deadline" for submitted materials so they take the applications off the system, but still... :!:

I emailed about Chicago's website and they said they'll be mailing decisions by the end of next week (the week of March 9th at the latest). So the official word is that the site is closed because they're in the final moments of the final stage. ...And so we wait.

I emailed about Chicago's website and they said they'll be mailing decisions by the end of next week (the week of March 9th at the latest). So the official word is that the site is closed because they're in the final moments of the final stage. ...And so we wait.

The suspense is almost too much... I wish they would call or email if you're accepted.

Well, best of luck to everyone on this very eventful month coming up. Congrats if you make it, and if you don't, it's really not the end of the world. I'm canceling internet service to save a buck so I'll be more of a stranger in these parts... hopefully that means a little more thesis and a little less gradcafe. :D

I'm pretty much out of the running at this point, and starting to look ahead to reapplication and work for the near future. For those of you in the same boat, I'll see you "same bat time, same bat channel" next year. :lol: