Boren 2011-2012

jg33

I couldn't agree with you more. To be honest, I felt like I was excellent candidate for an award because I speak two of the languages in the country I chose, I already have experience in the federal goverment, and I feel like I have an interesting project that I proposed. But my guess is that I didn't propose my project well in the essays. It was hard as a science/engineering student to explain my project with little scientific jargon to a panel that may not necessarily be familiar with the subject matter. That was the hardest part of the application for me.

I definitely understand where you are coming from. I'm kind of interested to see what the statistics end up looking like for everyone when this is all said and done with... I am an engineering student as well, and was also rejected. If all of the science/engineering people get rejected, I'm going to be thoroughly confused because they were asking for people like us to apply.

From a language point-of-view, I think the majority of science/engineering students are going to have a much weaker application. There is really no way for us to incorporate language studies into our degree plans because we don't receive credit for them (at least it is that way at my school), unless if we want to take 6 years to finish our degree. For many of us, it's not feasible to spend a semester or a summer in a language immersion program because we are expected to get internships that will prepare us for the job market upon graduation.

Just my two-cents though.

Hey all,

I am also an alternate for the Fellowship, and emailed them asking if it was country specific or not. However, last week my friend was an alternate for a Fulbright and this week he got it! It's not a Boren, but it just shows you that you can be pleasantly surprised if you do end up getting it! As for me, I will be pleasantly surprised if I do get it, but am moving on to plan b in case I don't! Good luck to you all!

Let us know what Boren responds regarding whether or not it is country specific. I was wondering the same thing, but will spare them the extra email.

Thanks and good luck!!!

Hey all,

I am also an alternate for the Fellowship, and emailed them asking if it was country specific or not. However, last week my friend was an alternate for a Fulbright and this week he got it! It's not a Boren, but it just shows you that you can be pleasantly surprised if you do end up getting it! As for me, I will be pleasantly surprised if I do get it, but am moving on to plan b in case I don't! Good luck to you all!

I couldn't agree with you more. To be honest, I felt like I was excellent candidate for an award because I speak two of the languages in the country I chose, I already have experience in the federal goverment, and I feel like I have an interesting project that I proposed. But my guess is that I didn't propose my project well in the essays. It was hard as a science/engineering student to explain my project with little scientific jargon to a panel that may not necessarily be familiar with the subject matter. That was the hardest part of the application for me.

I felt like I was a pretty strong candidate as well. I have a small amount of language experience, but my advisor didn't seem to think that was a huge deal, so long as you show an ability and desire to learn (this doesn't seem to be the case though). I was thinking other parts of my application would make up for it... I have been working with, but not for, the federal government for the past two and a half years as a student researcher in a field that was identical to my research proposal (GPS). I had a hard time explaining my project as well (hardest part of the application for me as well).

Yeah, didn't get it either :(

I kinda knew I was at a disadvantage though.... 1) I'm a science student, so like the above people have said, It was really hard to make the connection with language studies 2) I was applying for 1/2 a semester only.

Oh well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Time to plan for the Gillman. Good luck to everyone that wins!

I definitely understand where you are coming from. I'm kind of interested to see what the statistics end up looking like for everyone when this is all said and done with... I am an engineering student as well, and was also rejected. If all of the science/engineering people get rejected, I'm going to be thoroughly confused because they were asking for people like us to apply.

From a language point-of-view, I think the majority of science/engineering students are going to have a much weaker application. There is really no way for us to incorporate language studies into our degree plans because we don't receive credit for them (at least it is that way at my school), unless if we want to take 6 years to finish our degree. For many of us, it's not feasible to spend a semester or a summer in a language immersion program because we are expected to get internships that will prepare us for the job market upon graduation.

Just my two-cents though.

I'm a STEM major as well and am still waiting on the email. If I am rejected there might be a trend ....

I did have a strong language perspective (and have been studying it for 10 years and am at a very advanced level) ... I think what makes our STEM proposals weak is that our future career is more related to science than to government. idk ... that might be how mine came across.

I'm a STEM major as well and am still waiting on the email. If I am rejected there might be a trend ....

I did have a strong language perspective (and have been studying it for 10 years and am at a very advanced level) ... I think what makes our STEM proposals weak is that our future career is more related to science than to government. idk ... that might be how mine came across.

Okay, well, good luck to you! Please post your results when you hear them, that way I can update the spreadsheet. I agree with your idea about the future career... Unless if we plan on going into intelligence of some sort, the language skills we develop may go by the wayside. Most scientists communicate in English, regardless of their native language.

Hey guys,

If anyone is willing to send me their proposal (just their essays), please let me know. I'd like to get an idea of what a successful application looks like before I apply again next year.

I am a science/engineering student, so if you are a completely different background its absolutely okay. I just wanted to get an idea.

-Thanks!!

I

I'm a scholarship applicant (econ and international relations, but I'm willing to send you mine if you want. PM me your email.

Basically, I made sure they knew that studying abroad was essential to my grad school and professional goals, so that's what my essay mainly focused on, and specified how the topics studied abroad will help me in present and future research. I also applied for a year and searched for my own program; the ones offered at uni were basically studying Russian art/lit, and while that'd be cool, it would have made no sense given my grad school/career goals. I didn't quote on my essays but did do an absurd amount of research for it.

Edited by StephanieM

Hey Guys,

I just joined as well but have been following along for the past week or so.

I got the Boren scholarship today as well, for studying Russian, Political Science, and Minority Demography in Russia over the next Summer and Fall. I will be taking classes at St. Petersburg State University.

Can't wait!

Hey Guys,

I just joined as well but have been following along for the past week or so.

I got the Boren scholarship today as well, for studying Russian, Political Science, and Minority Demography in Russia over the next Summer and Fall. I will be taking classes at St. Petersburg State University.

Can't wait!

Can you email (boren2011.2012@gmail.com) or post your information here for the spreadsheet? Thanks!

jg, although you did not receive the scholarship I'd still like to thank you for following through and completing the spreadsheet. It will be immensely helpful for applicants in the future.

Hi all, I really think we should create a database with all of our statement of purposes for the benefits of future applicants. I felt really lost when applying for this scholarship because I have no idea how to format the essay. Even though guidelines are posted on the Boren website, having a REAL example really would've tremendously helped. Whaddya guys think?

jg, although you did not receive the scholarship I'd still like to thank you for following through and completing the spreadsheet. It will be immensely helpful for applicants in the future.

No problem!

The acceptances make me happy, so keep those coming!

It may also be helpful if you could add a column which would calculate how many award recipients who DID receive the update email got the award, were named alternates, or were denied. This will give us a general idea of the ratio of finalists to award recipients.

(If you want me to help you keep the spreadsheet updated message me the login info and I'll do it for you).

Dear alternates,

It seems as though selection of alternates is region specific. I applied for a fellowship for Ukraine, and was told that if someone from Russia or Ukraine declines, than they will try to offer that position to some other candidate in that region.

It may also be helpful if you could add a column which would calculate how many award recipients who DID receive the update email got the award, were named alternates, or were denied. This will give us a general idea of the ratio of finalists to award recipients.

(If you want me to help you keep the spreadsheet updated message me the login info and I'll do it for you).

Good idea! I had just started to do this when you posted. I added two sheets to the spreadsheet, so there are three total now. One for everybody, one for fellowships, and one for scholarships. Then, I'll be calculating the numbers from there.

Alright, just finished doing the numbers... You can see the numbers on Sheets 2 and 3 of the spreadsheet (Fellowships and Scholarships, respectively).

Each column has its own 'description', and the percentage of the column shows the number of applicants that fell into each 'description'. So far, there has been one person who did not receive an email update that ended up being an alternate. Everyone else who didn't receive an email update has been rejected.

whattheflip

India

Fellowship

Accepted

May 4th

Urdu

Y

US-India Relations, South Asia Politics

E-mail Update received

I'm really excited I got it...I dont know yet if I am definitely taking it. will post a "help me!" post soon, lol.

Good idea! I had just started to do this when you posted. I added two sheets to the spreadsheet, so there are three total now. One for everybody, one for fellowships, and one for scholarships. Then, I'll be calculating the numbers from there.

Alright, just finished doing the numbers... You can see the numbers on Sheets 2 and 3 of the spreadsheet (Fellowships and Scholarships, respectively).

Each column has its own 'description', and the percentage of the column shows the number of applicants that fell into each 'description'. So far, there has been one person who did not receive an email update that ended up being an alternate. Everyone else who didn't receive an email update has been rejected.

Very interesting-so the emails asking for updated requests do indicate that an application has passed the regional stage.

Just wanted to second the earlier sentiments; really appreciate you working on the spreadsheet and the forum. And even though you didn't get the scholarship, at least you'll have a job when you're done with college. We liberal arts folks who shun law school for more international pursuits end up unemployed 9 times out of 10!

@Rebekah: Sounds like a good plan to me. I think I'm just going to go to Dar es Salaam next year anyways. I have one more class left before I graduate and am bored as hell.

I think something else that could be added to the spreadsheet, or at least we could say it here, is if we have previous travel experience. I've noticed some applicants here have lots of it, so I'm wondering how relevant it was in the final decision. I'd only been to Australia and China for short holidays.

Edited by StephanieM

@gatorafrica

Let's keep in touch - email me at wilbergr@uwm.edu

Let me know when you all are in Tanzania! I'm planning to head there in early August. It would be great to meet up with you all!

I was denied the award.

But at least I am still going on my program as planned. Now I just don't owe my life to the government.

I think what's more important to add to the spread sheet is the program duration.

My downfall was most likely that I'm a STEM major and applied for only a 3 month summer program. Because I would have thought that speaking at an Advanced level would have been a big plus.

Does anybody know of other scholarships that are specific to studying abroad? I found that the Boren was the only award I was eligible for based on financial status, which ruled out the Gilman and the Fulbright.

- Зайка

I was denied the award.

But at least I am still going on my program as planned. Now I just don't owe my life to the government.

I think what's more important to add to the spread sheet is the program duration.

My downfall was most likely that I'm a STEM major and applied for only a 3 month summer program. Because I would have thought that speaking at an Advanced level would have been a big plus.

Does anybody know of other scholarships that are specific to studying abroad? I found that the Boren was the only award I was eligible for based on financial status, which ruled out the Gilman and the Fulbright.

- Зайка

The summer programs are a lot more competitive on pretty much all scholarships. Why don't you try again for a semester/year?? I was told by my program manager that the Boren people really prefer long-term study, especially for people with more advanced language levels because they can get more done.

What's your program? I might know of some financial aid for Russia-specific programs but I think they're dependent on the program. First one that comes to mind is the Critical Language Scholarship program.

Edited by StephanieM