Boren 2011-2012

jg33

Did any of the ALI folks just get an email from the UF about getting a UF identity number for the summer language program? It might just be them going down the list on things they need to do for the summer program, but I was wondering if anyone else got one and when they got it?

Hey all, great board! It's nice to have a place we can all go crazy on in anticipation of hearing the Boren results!

Just an FYI, I attended the webinar and Michael explicitly stated that you will only be contacted by Boren in regards to your budget if there is an issue with it. He stated that if there are errors in your budget or something doesn't look right (i.e. underfunded) they would contact you to revise it. After this he stated that underfunding your project will not make you a more competitive candidate. So we can sit here all day and speculate as to what the emails mean but in reality we have no idea and should only be basing these on facts and not opinions. Lastly, I emailed them and they said award recipients would be notified during the last week of April, first week of May. Not to forget, they had extended the submission deadline in case you had missed that on their website, I thought perhaps this was due to the snow storms in the mid-west which resulted in power outages and possibly appilcants not being able to apply in a timely manner. So, naturally one would assume this would also extend the results notifications as well. I guess we shall see!

Good luck to everyone and I wish you the best in your academic pursuits!

Did any of the ALI folks just get an email from the UF about getting a UF identity number for the summer language program? It might just be them going down the list on things they need to do for the summer program, but I was wondering if anyone else got one and when they got it?

I did not get it but I did not submit the summer UF ALI application- I have a fellowship through DofS for the summer so if I get Boren I'm going to go straight into the Fall ALI- I had been getting all of the other ALI emails though so not sure why I didn't get this one- guessing it's just a UF related email and not Boren related?

Hey all, great board! It's nice to have a place we can all go crazy on in anticipation of hearing the Boren results!

Just an FYI, I attended the webinar and Michael explicitly stated that you will only be contacted by Boren in regards to your budget if there is an issue with it. He stated that if there are errors in your budget or something doesn't look right (i.e. underfunded) they would contact you to revise it. After this he stated that underfunding your project will not make you a more competitive candidate. So we can sit here all day and speculate as to what the emails mean but in reality we have no idea and should only be basing these on facts and not opinions. Lastly, I emailed them and they said award recipients would be notified during the last week of April, first week of May. Not to forget, they had extended the submission deadline in case you had missed that on their website, I thought perhaps this was due to the snow storms in the mid-west which resulted in power outages and possibly appilcants not being able to apply in a timely manner. So, naturally one would assume this would also extend the results notifications as well. I guess we shall see!

Good luck to everyone and I wish you the best in your academic pursuits!

I don't think they'll flat out say "This means you didn't get it/this means you'd make it to Nationals"... I'm going more so by what the University of Illinois's website said.

I did not get it but I did not submit the summer UF ALI application- I have a fellowship through DofS for the summer so if I get Boren I'm going to go straight into the Fall ALI- I had been getting all of the other ALI emails though so not sure why I didn't get this one- guessing it's just a UF related email and not Boren related?

Yeah, it was straight from the UF conference department. I assumed it had nothing to do with the pending announcements, but it is hard not to speculate.

The general consensus is that the email asking for updates was an indication that your application moved on from the regional selection process to the national nominated committee. If you go back a few pages you'll see a little debate that ensued. That being said, nothing is for certain as of this point. When the awards are announces hopefully we can put this to rest!

I was talking to two students at my school who said they'd received a survey to take from Boren (Fellow applicants) via email. Do you have any info on this??

Ok, I'm getting really annoyed now. I have 2-3 other options to consider and they are not going to wait around for me to hear from Boren at the end of this week or something. At this point they know who got it and who didnt...JUST TELL ME!

...in case anyone was going to call them, they're not aswering, voicemail is changed to a very generic "we're working on it, all applicants will know by this week."

:angry:

I was talking to two students at my school who said they'd received a survey to take from Boren (Fellow applicants) via email. Do you have any info on this??

I am fellowship applicant, and all I received was the survey form Boren around March 8. I assumed that all applicants, including scholarship and fellowship students, received that e-mail as it was very general.

Ok, I'm getting really annoyed now. I have 2-3 other options to consider and they are not going to wait around for me to hear from Boren at the end of this week or something. At this point they know who got it and who didnt...JUST TELL ME!

...in case anyone was going to call them, they're not aswering, voicemail is changed to a very generic "we're working on it, all applicants will know by this week."

lol I feel your pain! The suspense is the worst part of this! Oh well, it is Tuesday and Friday will eventually come so you figure by week's end we will either be celebrating a victory or burying our face in a pillow and bawling :) Either way I am sure we all did our best so may the cream of the crop rise to the top! Good luck folks!

I got the email, as well. On April 21 I contacted UF regarding registration confirmation. The email you should have received when you registered for UF states that you are not completely registered until your emergency contact info is updated; however, in order to do this, a UFID is needed. The rep at UF said she would email the registered students to let them know how to set up a UFID when she had further information. I am assuming the email today is in response to this. In short, don't forget to update your emergency contact info!

Yeah, it was straight from the UF conference department. I assumed it had nothing to do with the pending announcements, but it is hard not to speculate.

Interesting...I didn't receive any survey form from Boren around March 8th, but I did receive a budget update email. It's likely that those who received the survey were part of a random sample from the applicant pool.

I am fellowship applicant, and all I received was the survey form Boren around March 8. I assumed that all applicants, including scholarship and fellowship students, received that e-mail as it was very general.

Ok cool, thanks for the info!

hey guys, I applied to the Boren Fellowship, studying in Kenya for Somali language. Just received the following email from my campus rep. This is what SHE REC'D from a Boren rep. when she asked about when we'll hear back:

"We will be notifying both fellowship and scholarship applicants this week via email and regular mail (we hope to email all applicants tomorrow). We will also send emails to campus representatives, but that most likely will not be until next week."

OK, I hate to get our hopes up b/c I know we are all extremely antsy about this, but I guess there is a chance emails will come today. Best wishes to everyone, and I hope we all have a chance to pursue our proposed programs.

Well, that's encouraging. I think I just felt my breakfast do a flip in my stomach.

hey guys, I applied to the Boren Fellowship, studying in Kenya for Somali language. Just received the following email from my campus rep. This is what SHE REC'D from a Boren rep. when she asked about when we'll hear back:

"We will be notifying both fellowship and scholarship applicants this week via email and regular mail (we hope to email all applicants tomorrow). We will also send emails to campus representatives, but that most likely will not be until next week."

OK, I hate to get our hopes up b/c I know we are all extremely antsy about this, but I guess there is a chance emails will come today. Best wishes to everyone, and I hope we all have a chance to pursue our proposed programs.

Also, I received an email survey from Boren in March. I agree with Arborio43- it must be random sampling.

Edited by ohsailor

Hey everyone,

I've been reading some of the discussion---there are a lot of Africa applicants on here! My Boren proposal is for Swahili at the University of Dar es Salaam. I also received an updated information request and a survey request so whoever is running the spreadsheet can add this info.

I also applied for funding for SCALI at the University of Florida, but I now have an internship during the time it is running. However, I do go to UF and know some of the teachers and admins for the SCALI program so if you guys have any questions about UF or the African languages program, I can try and help you out.

Hopefully we find out soon......

Edited by gatorafrica

So not everyone received the survey e-mail around March 8?? I didn't think that was the case. I figured every applicant got it because it asked questions about how the Boren process was, and what I would change about it etc.

New FB and Twitter update from Boren:

"The award notifications for the Boren Scholarship and the Boren Fellowship will go out this week."

Pretty much the same ol' message...

When did your Boren Rep receive that e-mail?

I received the survey. The "most specific" questions were about what uni I attend (mine's a small school in a US territory, I even doubt people from my uni have ever applied), and if I would apply for other scholarships (just the Gilman).

I feel your pain. I have to submit my final info for my study abroad program very soon, and I can't because I'm not paying a non-refundable $500 if I'm not getting the BOren... and class registrations for next semester are this week, and I can't register if I don't know whether I got the Boren or not :-S

Did you receive a follow-up email from Boren (excluding the survey email)?

Hey everyone,

I've been reading some of the discussion---there are a lot of Africa applicants on here! My Boren proposal is for Swahili at the University of Dar es Salaam. I also received an updated information request and a survey request so whoever is running the spreadsheet can add this info.

I also applied for funding for SCALI at the University of Florida, but I now have an internship during the time it is running. However, I do go to UF and know some of the teachers and admins for the SCALI program so if you guys have any questions about UF or the African languages program, I can try and help you out.

Hopefully we find out soon......

You're a scholarship applicant, correct?

I received the survey as well (Scholarship applicant), but I doubt it has any meaning on the outcome of the Awards.

This wait is killing me ahhh

I received the survey. The "most specific" questions were about what uni I attend (mine's a small school in a US territory, I even doubt people from my uni have ever applied), and if I would apply for other scholarships (just the Gilman).

The surveys are meaningless in the big picture. I received the survey, filled it out, returned it and clearly at the top it stated that it didn't indicate nor affect anything with regard to my application. Furthermore, I had started an application for a different set of dates and chose not to procede with it and started a new one, which is my pending application. My point is this: my dead application received the survey as well so I'm pretty confident that its meaningless.