Boren 2011-2012

jg33

The summer programs are a lot more competitive on pretty much all scholarships. Why don't you try again for a semester/year?? I was told by my program manager that the Boren people really prefer long-term study, especially for people with more advanced language levels because they can get more done.

What's your program? I might know of some financial aid for Russia-specific programs but I think they're dependent on the program. First one that comes to mind is the Critical Language Scholarship program.

Well as a Biochemistry major studying for a full year abroad would be a disaster to graduation because the credits I get won't be relative to my major, and you are not allowed to complete your professional chemistry courses at another university.

And yeah I noticed that too that most scholarships for Russia were through specific programs :( .... however I don't regret choosing НГУ one bit.

And at least I still get to go. Hopefully in the future I can stay longer in Russia. I'm thinking about grad school at Московский Институт Тонкой Химической Технологии (МИТХТ) because they have a masters program very specific to what I want to do, though I would prefer to go directly to a PhD program in molecular biology. I still have several years to decide.

Но я желаю вам удачи в Москве и успехов во всем!!!!

I was denied the award.

But at least I am still going on my program as planned. Now I just don't owe my life to the government.

I think what's more important to add to the spread sheet is the program duration.

My downfall was most likely that I'm a STEM major and applied for only a 3 month summer program. Because I would have thought that speaking at an Advanced level would have been a big plus.

Does anybody know of other scholarships that are specific to studying abroad? I found that the Boren was the only award I was eligible for based on financial status, which ruled out the Gilman and the Fulbright.

- Зайка

Dang, sorry to hear this! I didn't think eligibility for Fulbright hinged on financial status, I'd check into that if I was you.

Congrats everyone who did get the award. From talking to a friend who won last year, several of the alternates did end up getting the fellowship. She didn't think it was based on region (because one of the alternates was her same country and she didn't drop out) but perhaps other people from the surrounding countries dropped. I'm not holding my breath for getting off alternate status. It sucks major though because I got "honorable mention" for NSF fellowship a few weeks ago too. Second best doesn't cut it. Better luck next time. Congrats to those of you who did!!

I also received alternate notification. Gatorafrica and Rebekah, are you both applying through African Language Initiative. I am more curious than anything about how many ALI specific applications were funded. I applied for Mali, and have yet to hear of anyone else who did.

I feel really proud to have received alternate notification, but I am definitely moving on to plan B. I wrote it out before we were notified so I would have something to cling to when this day comes. What does plan B include? Working over the summer to save money and replicate my plan with my own funds, hiking in Oregon every weekend, hiking the West Coast Trail, training for a sub-four marathon (my time on Sunday was 4:25!), taking classes so that I can graduate in time (I'm in a Master's that tends to take some students 3 years to finish...), etc. etc.

I know this seems off topic, but for those of you that were not accepted, just remember how much awesome other stuff you and how cool you are, with or without funding! Just some advice from someone whose emotional well-being is often a little too wrapped up in contests such as these! Stay well!

Hey all,

I am also an alternate for the Fellowship, and emailed them asking if it was country specific or not. However, last week my friend was an alternate for a Fulbright and this week he got it! It's not a Boren, but it just shows you that you can be pleasantly surprised if you do end up getting it! As for me, I will be pleasantly surprised if I do get it, but am moving on to plan b in case I don't! Good luck to you all!

Thanks for a great reminder, Emily! I love that you wrote out your plan B before the award announcements. What a great reminder of everything else you have to offer....you should have told all of us to do that sooner!!

I also applied for ALI and was wondering how many awards were given. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Boren reps made it sound like an extra 10-15 awards would be given to applicants interested in ALI. I'm also curious how many alternates there are for each country. Were you planning on attending the UF SCALI program this summer?

I also received alternate notification. Gatorafrica and Rebekah, are you both applying through African Language Initiative. I am more curious than anything about how many ALI specific applications were funded. I applied for Mali, and have yet to hear of anyone else who did.

I feel really proud to have received alternate notification, but I am definitely moving on to plan B. I wrote it out before we were notified so I would have something to cling to when this day comes. What does plan B include? Working over the summer to save money and replicate my plan with my own funds, hiking in Oregon every weekend, hiking the West Coast Trail, training for a sub-four marathon (my time on Sunday was 4:25!), taking classes so that I can graduate in time (I'm in a Master's that tends to take some students 3 years to finish...), etc. etc.

I know this seems off topic, but for those of you that were not accepted, just remember how much awesome other stuff you and how cool you are, with or without funding! Just some advice from someone whose emotional well-being is often a little too wrapped up in contests such as these! Stay well!

I also applied for ALI and was wondering how many awards were given. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Boren reps made it sound like an extra 10-15 awards would be given to applicants interested in ALI. I'm also curious how many alternates there are for each country. Were you planning on attending the UF SCALI program this summer?

Well here we have a very small pool of people who applied. So we'll know for sure only when the list of people who got it is released.

Who else is coming to the Scholarship Convocation? I'm staying in DC for the summer so its pretty easy for me, but I'm excited to meet the other scholarship recipients!

Who else is coming to the Scholarship Convocation? I'm staying in DC for the summer so its pretty easy for me, but I'm excited to meet the other scholarship recipients!

I wish I was :-( I'll be in Moscow during the summer.

See you there!

If you haven't emailed your results in or posted them here yet, please do so. There are still quite a few blank spots on the spreadsheet. Thanks!

If you haven't emailed your results in or posted them here yet, please do so. There are still quite a few blank spots on the spreadsheet. Thanks!

alternate :)

country of proposed study: Kenya

language: Somali

topic: in sum, identifying empirical variables explaining the fall of Somali women's rights post-1990s.

let me know if you need more info. BEST WISHES to all the winners, stay safe, and learn lots :)

I haven’t been able to post much due to finals but I wanted to congratulate everyone who received an award and to encourage everyone else who did not receive an award or who was named an alternate to definitely reapply. For those who did receive the awards, I see people talking about the convocation already on Facebook – have any of you received information about this yet? I assumed it would be in acceptance packet that is forthcoming in the mail. Also, the email acceptance letters said they were “unofficial,” is anyone else waiting for the official acceptance before they start taking serious preparatory measures? Maybe I am just paranoid…. :) Finally, has anyone tried to join the Facebook Group for current Boren Fellows or do we not become current until after the convocation?

Also I want to extend an extra-special thanks to jg33 for your amazing work on the spreadsheet!

Edited by Runner

I haven’t been able to post much due to finals but I wanted to congratulate everyone who received an award and to encourage everyone else who did not receive an award or who was named an alternate to definitely reapply. For those who did receive the awards, I see people talking about the convocation already on Facebook – have any of you received information about this yet? I assumed it would be in acceptance packet that is forthcoming in the mail. Also, the email acceptance letters said they were “unofficial,” is anyone else waiting for the official acceptance before they start taking serious preparatory measures? Maybe I am just paranoid…. :) Finally, has anyone tried to join the Facebook Group for current Boren Fellows or do we not become current until after the convocation?

Also I want to extend an extra-special thanks to jg33 for your amazing work on the spreadsheet!

The info is on the link they sent in the email, but I guess we'll get a more formal invite in the packet. I'm also a bit weary about the "unofficial", but I emailed them and basically it's just a packet vs email difference, nothing major. I have to go in serious preparatory measures like, now, because I have until the 13th to send my program deposits and the final paperwork and I'll be abroad during the summer so I have to do it now....

I tried joining the FB group, not in yet.

The info is on the link they sent in the email, but I guess we'll get a more formal invite in the packet. I'm also a bit weary about the "unofficial", but I emailed them and basically it's just a packet vs email difference, nothing major. I have to go in serious preparatory measures like, now, because I have until the 13th to send my program deposits and the final paperwork and I'll be abroad during the summer so I have to do it now....

I tried joining the FB group, not in yet.

Hmm, I am a Fellow and I didn't have a link in my email. Anyone else?

i think the link is just for the invite for convocation for scholars. they said on their facebook page that scholars all meet each other at a convocation before leaving, while fellows meet each other to present their projects when they get back.

or something like that.

Hi All! I need everyone's help - if you or anyone you know applied for a Boren Fellowship or Scholarship for any of the African Language Initiative Programs please get in touch with me immediately (by this Sunday night, May 8 at the latest). I have some exciting news and a potentially great alternate opportunity if you would still like to go!!

JG33 - thanks again for doing such a great job with the spreadsheets and getting this board up and running. I hope you know how much we all appreciate it!

ALI aplicants email me at: wilbergr@uwm.edu as soon as you can. Thanks!!

i think the link is just for the invite for convocation for scholars. they said on their facebook page that scholars all meet each other at a convocation before leaving, while fellows meet each other to present their projects when they get back.

or something like that.

hey i saw on the spreadsheet that youre going to tajikistan with a boren. i am too. are you doing american councils?

hey i saw on the spreadsheet that youre going to tajikistan with a boren. i am too. are you doing american councils?

Yes! Are you staying for the whole year? And have you gotten the acceptance packet from American Councils yet? I got an e-mail, but I'm eager for more information.

I know this isn't much help after the fact but I work with a woman who sits/sat on one of the Scholarship review panels. This is how she explained it:

A group gets together for one region and chooses 15 applicants (10 recipients and 5 alternates).

They send those 15 applications to the National Review Board where they just confirm that the regional panels made the best decision (apparently, there may be some switching out between alternates or awardees). People who were not among those 15 applicants are basically rejected. ( I find this to be the most frustrating part as people could've been told of this status in late March/early April.)

At no point did she say that they email applicants about updated funding but thinks that this must be done by the National panel. Speaking to a current Boren Fellow, she confirmed that she never received any emails from the Boren committee between the time she submitted her application and when she was told she was a 2010 Boren Fellow.

Anyways, I hope some of this information helps.

-Bibliotek

Very interesting! So what we have figured out in this thread is that, assuming ~1,000 people apply:

1) Your initial chance of getting a Boren is ~15%

2) If you receive the email about financial updates you become a finalist, whereas your chances of receiving a scholarship increases to ~66%

3) If 150 people receive Scholarships, roughly 225 applicants are finalists.

This should be useful to future Boren applicants!

I know this isn't much help after the fact but I work with a woman who sits/sat on one of the Scholarship review panels. This is how she explained it:

A group gets together for one region and chooses 15 applicants (10 recipients and 5 alternates).

They send those 15 applications to the National Review Board where they just confirm that the regional panels made the best decision (apparently, there may be some switching out between alternates or awardees). People who were not among those 15 applicants are basically rejected. ( I find this to be the most frustrating part as people could've been told of this status in late March/early April.)

At no point did she say that they email applicants about updated funding but thinks that this must be done by the National panel. Speaking to a current Boren Fellow, she confirmed that she never received any emails from the Boren committee between the time she submitted her application and when she was told she was a 2010 Boren Fellow.

-Bibliotek

Hi All! I need everyone's help - if you or anyone you know applied for a Boren Fellowship or Scholarship for any of the African Language Initiative Programs please get in touch with me immediately (by this Sunday night, May 8 at the latest). I have some exciting news and a potentially great alternate opportunity if you would still like to go!!

JG33 - thanks again for doing such a great job with the spreadsheets and getting this board up and running. I hope you know how much we all appreciate it!

ALI aplicants email me at: wilbergr@uwm.edu as soon as you can. Thanks!!

No problem! I'm glad I was able to help.

-Bibliotek

This echoes what other successful applicants have told me from my university. There were a few people that were awarded a scholarship or a fellowship without receiving a follow-up email. But, it should be noted that receiving a follow-up email is definitely a good sign.