Boren 2011-2012

jg33

I hope you all I know I was this | | close to making a post saying I received an email to send the masses into hysteria...but then I had a weird feeling about karma and decided against it.

This is getting ridiculous, just tell us already!

Hahaha don't be so cruel!! I think we'd pass out.

I hope you all I know I was this | | close to making a post saying I received an email to send the masses into hysteria...but then I had a weird feeling about karma and decided against it.

This is getting ridiculous, just tell us already!

hahahaha lmao I would have went ape $hit on Comcast if I did not have an email after reading your post! lol Good one though, I needed the laugh!

So I have been waiting eagerly, but I decided to only check my email 3 times a day: once in the morning, once at midday, and once at night. The email will come, although the anticipation is hard. I just went on a 5 mile jog/walk because I have been so antsy.

Someone asked if anyone else has study abroad plans for the summer. I am a Boren Scholarship applicant for Arabic in Egypt. I have been accepted to Middlebury and AUC, but I need to let them know very soon about the results. I would love to be in Egypt (or Jordan if Egypt becomes closed to Boren applicants) for fall 2011-spring 2012. Even if I do not get the Boren, I will be spending three months studying Arabic in Amman, Jordan this summer. At least I have that to look forward to! I just need to know about whether I will be moving from Jordan immediately to another institution or if I will be coming back to the US.

This limbo situation is so funny, but I guess it is good training for life as we all will be applying for jobs in the future. It really teaches you that some things are out of your control. If I do not get the Boren, I cannot take it personally. I just have to move on and keep going. Good luck to all of you guys - whether you receive the Boren or not! I know you guys will do well in the future just because you had the dedication to complete the entire Boren scholarship. Not many people do! At FSU, only about 150 people actually applied for national scholarships/fellowships out of 40,000 students.

At least all of you have plans in case Boren doesn't work out! I will be working on my thesis research and making presentations, and writing a killer proposal again for BOREN so that I WILL get the award to go abroad next summer. I guess that's my back up plan right there...?

At least all of you have plans in case Boren doesn't work out! I will be working on my thesis research and making presentations, and writing a killer proposal again for BOREN so that I WILL get the award to go abroad next summer. I guess that's my back up plan right there...?

I'm with ya Dancer. My proposal was for Georgia but if I don't get the fellowship then I will instead go to Mexico to brush up on my Spanish as I live in California so it is more of an immediate need. That being said, I will write another proposal as well if I don't get it this time and will pick another country as well. I am thinking Vietnam or Slovenia for Round 2. However, I hope there is no need for a Round 2!!!! lol

What country did you choose and if you write another proposal, will you choose the same country again?

Hahaha! That was hilarious. I just have my inbox open right in front of me...its probably not a good idea because everytime i hear a *PING* i jump in my chair and sulk back into it... :)

LOL!!!ahhh!! wow, reading these posts makes me feel WAY less insane. Nice to know there are other people obsessively waiting, refreshing emails, freaking out at the sound of an email ping, etc.... Maybe our obsessive status is indicative of our (hopefully great) proposals and our chances of earning a fellowship!! :)

So I have been waiting eagerly, but I decided to only check my email 3 times a day: once in the morning, once at midday, and once at night. The email will come, although the anticipation is hard. I just went on a 5 mile jog/walk because I have been so antsy.

Someone asked if anyone else has study abroad plans for the summer. I am a Boren Scholarship applicant for Arabic in Egypt. I have been accepted to Middlebury and AUC, but I need to let them know very soon about the results. I would love to be in Egypt (or Jordan if Egypt becomes closed to Boren applicants) for fall 2011-spring 2012. Even if I do not get the Boren, I will be spending three months studying Arabic in Amman, Jordan this summer. At least I have that to look forward to! I just need to know about whether I will be moving from Jordan immediately to another institution or if I will be coming back to the US.

This limbo situation is so funny, but I guess it is good training for life as we all will be applying for jobs in the future. It really teaches you that some things are out of your control. If I do not get the Boren, I cannot take it personally. I just have to move on and keep going. Good luck to all of you guys - whether you receive the Boren or not! I know you guys will do well in the future just because you had the dedication to complete the entire Boren scholarship. Not many people do! At FSU, only about 150 people actually applied for national scholarships/fellowships out of 40,000 students.

Did you receive a follow-up email about your budget or timeline (excluding the survey, which presumably a random sampling of people got)?

Yes, I did receive the survey and email for updated financial information in mid-March. Honestly, I doubt that this has any impact on whether someone has been transferred to nationals or not.

I chose India, and I definitely want to write a proposal for the same country again. I wanted to apply what I was doing for my thesis research to my project in India. I felt like my proposal was strong and that it stood out, but that's not enough for a Boren Fellowship. With so many well-thought out proposals that the panel is bombarded with, and with some students who just have exceptional backgrounds when it comes to experience abroad, I realize my chances are slim. Hence, the re-applying for the second time...hopefully that sends the message to the Boren staff that I am dedicated to do this project.

I'm with ya Dancer. My proposal was for Georgia but if I don't get the fellowship then I will instead go to Mexico to brush up on my Spanish as I live in California so it is more of an immediate need. That being said, I will write another proposal as well if I don't get it this time and will pick another country as well. I am thinking Vietnam or Slovenia for Round 2. However, I hope there is no need for a Round 2!!!! lol

What country did you choose and if you write another proposal, will you choose the same country again?

I GOT IT!!!!

Congratulations! Looks like I have my first spreadsheet update. I'm assuming you got an email, if so, what time?

hey guys! i just got email notification. it says it's "unofficial notice" but I'm in!!!

I chose India, and I definitely want to write a proposal for the same country again. I wanted to apply what I was doing for my thesis research to my project in India. I felt like my proposal was strong and that it stood out, but that's not enough for a Boren Fellowship. With so many well-thought out proposals that the panel is bombarded with, and with some students who just have exceptional backgrounds when it comes to experience abroad, I realize my chances are slim. Hence, the re-applying for the second time...hopefully that sends the message to the Boren staff that I am dedicated to do this project.

Well, my heart just stopped. I gave my personal email address editing privileges over the spreadsheet, so I received an email with Boren in the subject line. I opened it thinking it was my notification, but of course, it wasn't. So, back to waiting...

Edited by jg33

So excited, accepted for a Boren Fellowship, beyond belief right now.

"Please note that a determination regarding whether or not Boren Fellows will be allowed to study in Syria has not yet been made. Given the uncertain situation, you may wish to consider an alternative country. Please contact our staff at the number below to discuss your options. Because you are proposing to study in a country under a U.S. State Department Travel Warning, your award is contingent upon the following: · You must sign the Travel Warning Waiver and comply with all of its terms, including the understanding that should the security situation dictate, IIE or the National Security Education Program may require that you leave the country of study. · You must obtain any required travel or research visas, as well as any required clearances. · You must register with the U.S. Embassy and comply with any specific regulations and requirements regarding your studies abroad. · For certain countries, including, but not limited to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iran, Pakistan, Syria, and Yemen, further restrictions may apply, including possible outright prohibition on using the Boren Fellowship in a particular country. In such cases, IIE will work with the Fellow to find an alternate program."