Boren 2011-2012

jg33

hey all,

been following along for a while now, just decided to participate because the anticipation is becoming too much!

i'm an undergrad scholarship applicant hoping to spend next year studying Persian (Farsi) in Tajikistan. i received a request for a financial update back in march and have been waiting anxiously since then. i'm in the same boat as a lot of the other people here: can't register for classes or confirm summer plans until I know about Boren. Also, still haven't been officially admitted into my study abroad program (any one else waiting on that too?), so I'm double nervous!

best of luck to everyone!

I doubt it is going to be today now. In my opinion they are going to release the results in the morning when they do finally send out those emails. Award winners are going to need to contact the staff right away to make plans so it would be easiest to announce in the morning so that they don't have a million messages the next day from people who contacted the office the evening before.

I wouldn't call it strange at all that we gave him a proper burial. It's actually a very intelligent move. By killing Osama and burying him properly, we only piss off terrorists and Islamic extremists for killing their leader. Although there is now a greater chance of retribution by them, the benefit of having their leader dead is well worth that risk (imo, at least). If we didn't give him a proper burial according to Shariah Law, not only do we piss off Islamic extremists, but we piss off Muslims in GENERAL for failing to adhere to their cultural traditions - that's a much bigger risk than that taken on by grumpy terrorists.

I just have this forum open as a tab as I continue to work. It's nice to know that other people are undergoing the same kind of anxiety :)

@riverguide: Nice one. It's just strange that they gave him a proper burial according to Islamic laws and thus far have not released any visual evidence regarding his killing. I am not speculating whether the incident actually happened...I am sure it did. But the way the whole thing went down was just eerie to listen to on the news for me. I am definitely glad that he was killed and not held hostage because that's just a waste of tax money in my opinion. I also think regarding national security, it would not have been safe to hold him as a prisoner. But then again his killing also raises questions about possible terrorist attacks from his followers, and I would have to say I will remain on edge for a while when I think about that.

Thanks for joining in, alanz! Welcome to the excruciating wait....

hey all,

been following along for a while now, just decided to participate because the anticipation is becoming too much!

i'm an undergrad scholarship applicant hoping to spend next year studying Persian (Farsi) in Tajikistan. i received a request for a financial update back in march and have been waiting anxiously since then. i'm in the same boat as a lot of the other people here: can't register for classes or confirm summer plans until I know about Boren. Also, still haven't been officially admitted into my study abroad program (any one else waiting on that too?), so I'm double nervous!

best of luck to everyone!

Care to PM me the link?

Foreign websites have pictures of the body. It's pretty gruesome so I wouldn't expect to see it appear in mainstream US media. I saw it on a tamil language website.

"Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to add an important international and language component to their educations. We focus on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study that are critical to U.S. national security."

Osama bin Laden = a significant player in U.S. national security interests.

Suck it up and deal with people talking about current events in a field that you SHOULD be interested in if you're applying for a Boren. Get out if you can't "stand" the discussion.

Can you guys please take news discussion elsewhere, I understand it is an exciting event but it doesn't have much to do with Boren

"Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to add an important international and language component to their educations. We focus on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study that are critical to U.S. national security."

Osama bin Laden = a significant player in U.S. national security interests.

Suck it up and deal with people talking about current events in a field that you SHOULD be interested in if you're applying for a Boren. Get out if you can't "stand" the discussion.

Brother you exhibited much more tact and diplomacy in responding than I would have. Those of us on this board may someday be the only ones standing between our national security and those who would destroy us. I do not take satisfaction in any man's death, but I know that our country and the world is a better and safer place because of it. For the institutions we aspire to work for this represented the successful completion of their top priority and a job well done.

Siuse, I think you've come to the wrong forum. My brothers and sisters on these pages have made our "National Security" the polar star that guides us. Might I suggest that you go back to the fork in the road and take the right path. 'Nuff said.

Edited by riverguide

An update from the Boren Awards Facebook Page.....

Boren Awards for International Study Hello Charlene! The award notifications have not been made yet. We are working to get them out as quickly as possible and email notification should be sent out later this week.

Now it looks possible we won't find out until Wednesday or later?

:-( Oh well.

Lets not let our own delusions of grandeur up the anxiety at this point. Lets just cool it and wait for the announcement together.

Thanks for the advice!

John and Siuse: can you put your stats on the spreadsheet, please? I'm sure there's always room in National Security for Internet Moderators. Good luck in your endeavours!

Edited by riverguide

Hahahahaha...riverguide, part of me hopes we end up in the same country - I have a feeling we'd get along quite well.

Thanks for the advice!

John and Siuse: can you put your stats on the spreadsheet, please? I'm sure there's always room in National Security for Internet Moderators. Good luck in your endeavours!

Hello everyone!

I just finished finals (more or less...) and thought I would indulge my Boren anxiety by finally getting an account!

I applied for the year long scholarship in order to study Thai and the effects of sustainable development in rural Thai populations. Is anyone else looking to go to Asia? I feel slightly outnumbered on this board with regards to region of interest.

Also, would it be easier if I replied with my stats for the spreadsheet or emailed them? Or both for that matter.

Funny you should mention that - I'll be in D.C. this summer as well concurrently serving two internships (one at the Potomac Institute's International Center for Terrorism Studies and another with a geo-spatial crime analysis company (NGO) that contracts with the DoD and DoS). But yes, I agree, there is still a lot to be played out. SAIS is @ Johns Hopkins, correct?

That just might happen bro. After I read your update on the travel warning dropping for Egypt I decided to do my level best to re-enter the Middlebury program at the University of Alexandria. I have a bunch of friends in Cairo and its a short train ride up there from Alexandria. But let's not spend money we don't have yet and let's hope we all make it. One of the things I've found with my fellow arabic students is that its a small American community and we keep running into one another in other towns during fall and spring breaks in the Middle East or we have internships in the same town (like DC, this summer) or we're all looking at the same grad schools. I'm hoping to tour SAIS next month while I'm in DC.

And I thought I had MY stuff together...congrats on all of those great opportunities man! I'll actually be staying at the student apartments at Georgetown and taking a couple classes on comparative economic systems from early June to late July. What is SAIS known for? I'm currently studying for the LSAT in hopes of one day pursuing a dual J.D/MPA degree, but SAIS looks pretty interesting as well...know anything about their admission statistics?

Hello everyone!

I just finished finals (more or less...) and thought I would indulge my Boren anxiety by finally getting an account!

I applied for the year long scholarship in order to study Thai and the effects of sustainable development in rural Thai populations. Is anyone else looking to go to Asia? I feel slightly outnumbered on this board with regards to region of interest.

Also, would it be easier if I replied with my stats for the spreadsheet or emailed them? Or both for that matter.

Welcome! Please email your information to boren2011.2012@gmail.com.

Thanks!

And I thought I had MY stuff together...congrats on all of those great opportunities man! I'll actually be staying at the student apartments at Georgetown and taking a couple classes on comparative economic systems from early June to late July. What is SAIS known for? I'm currently studying for the LSAT in hopes of one day pursuing a dual J.D/MPA degree, but SAIS looks pretty interesting as well...know anything about their admission statistics?

IMHO they have the best IR strategic studies program and ME regional program (GTown is also great!) and DC is the place to network. What sets SAIS apart is their intense economic training. SAIS is known for its private sector placements and GTown is known for its public sector placements. What I'm wrestling with is whether to do my ONI application before or after grad school.

http://www.sais-jhu....dents/index.htm

joint/dual programs:

http://www.sais-jhu....grees/index.htm

You can do the dual degree program with either Stanford or UVA Law;

Edited by rising_star
OP worried about security

Lets not let our own delusions of grandeur up the anxiety at this point. Lets just cool it and wait for the announcement together.

Welcome, will all of the new members please email their information for the spreadsheet to boren2011.2012@gmail.com?

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

Welcome! As long as you are an overachiever, have a thick skin and a sense of humor you'll fit in just fine with these pirates. That's a pretty impressive and challenging study proposal you have!

Welcome all newcomers! It's great to have a group of people to share this protracted wait with. I was studying for finals this afternoon and "allowed" myself to peek on here for a minute just to see if anyone had heard anything about decisions - I was so surprised to see over 30 people on the thread. Welcome! We all have different ways of dealing with the stress of waiting and different ideas of what we want to share online with the whole world, but regardless everyone is welcome and I hope this is useful resource irrespective of how active you are in posting, etc.

I realized we haven't posted the spreadsheet link in a while, so I am just reposting so it is more convenient to get to and so newcomers know what we're talking about: https://spreadsheets...=CPu-4N4N#gid=0. The idea is that if we can get a good sample size, we'll have some idea of what types of projects have been proposed, which are passing, and also if things like the emails from Boren are relevant indicators of how people are fairing in the selection process. I think it is interesting to look at and will certainly be a useful tool for future applicant pools.

When do you guys think we'll hear back?

LenaMarie if you look a couple posts back someone posted that Boren said on Facebook that they are trying to get the results out "later this week." We're all left to ponder what this phrase means..... :D

Good Luck to everyone!! Stay tuned......

Edited by Runner

I am having issues with my visa and flights cooperating. Does anyone know if your visa has to be valid on the day you leave the US, or just when you have to pass boarder control in a foreign country?

I am having issues with my visa and flights cooperating. Does anyone know if your visa has to be valid on the day you leave the US, or just when you have to pass boarder control in a foreign country?

I think you only need it when entering the country (different countries might have different rules) but be careful if you don't have it when you leave the US. When my sister had visa problems and had to leave the country she was living in, they wouldn't just let her go to another country- she had to actually buy plane tickets back to the US since that is where she's a citizen even though she already had tickets out of the country a couple weeks later...

When do you guys think we'll hear back?

Unfortunately, I think that means MAYBE an email this week and letters will definitely be next week, because they said 'we hope to".

Edited by StephanieM