Boren 2011-2012

jg33

A few thoughts:

First, on one of the webinars I attended the Boren folks told us that they receive numerous career declarations from all of the different applicants. It is only one portion of what is considered by the committees. The moderators recommended DOD career options and Dept of State options. They were careful to emphasize that, while your proposed career path at this point is obviously not definite, an applicant whose proposal included a well thought out career path that suggested that the applicant was not simply picking an objective because it was a part of the application process would stand out. The moderators recommended finding a way to distinguish yourself from other candidates by suggesting some lesser known career options and tying them into your proposed region/language and the bigger picture of national security. All in all, I took the suggestions as a way to boost your application. In no way did I get the sense that some of the more commonly proposed careers (ie: FSO) would hurt you though - the suggestions were more of the "Career specifications won't hurt you, can only help you" type.

Also, did anyone respond to the earlier post regarding mail vs email notifications for next week? If anyone knows how we are to be notified, let us know! I'll be in NYC next week and won't be home to get my mail until May 8. Talk about bad timing!

I believe that they will be making notifications via email and regular mail. I just got a note from one of the coordinators (because I emailed him with a question about changing my proposed plan) and he said 'we will be making notifications next week, hopefully!' so it looks like if you were hoping for this week (like I have been) you should stop holding your breath. :-(

In regards to the declaration of future jobs, I just wrote two specific jobs that I could obtain in the short term (based on my current qualifications) and described future job types that I could pursue later in my career.

@ Runner- I'm doing a half marathon May 7th. Running is definitely a good way to reduce stress/ get your mind off of the agony of waiting!

I don't get how you runners do it. Put me on a field and have me chase a football or soccer ball and I can run for days. Stick me on a track and tell me "Go" and I get bored in the first 50 feet...

HAHA That's so funny. Running as coping. I am running a marathon this Sunday!!!

This week is tapering...a total of 8 miles spread over THREE RUNS! I am going to have so much free time during which I can't run and I can't drink alcohol (in preparation for the run!) What am I supposed to do with this time??!??!?!?! Plan B plan B plan B meditate meditate meditate...

Good luck on the 15th!

I think the most frustrating thing is that at this point they probably know who has been chosen. Right now they're probably balancing budgets, stuffing envelopes and drafting the award letters/emails. Any interaction we have with them will be with them knowing our fate, although of course they can't officially tell us yet. :) I have five finals over the next 2.5 weeks. If anyone wants to take them for me that would be great! Also, I am running a marathon on May 15. For anyone looking to burn off some stress and pass some time, I highly recommend running!

See, things are already turning around for you!!! :)

Okay so apparently the Gilman award list was for the summer program and not the fall/full year one. they should've specified that two days ago before some of us freaked out. :unsure:

So I was wondering if anyone had any info on alternative abroad options outside of academia for undergraduates? I am looking at a masters program in development, hoping to get into democracy promotion, and the program I am applying into specified international professional experience as strongly preferred. I was going to spend the fall in South Africa, but am thinking that isn't happening now and have started to look at other options but can't really tell what's legit or not. I have been in contact with ProWorld. Anyone know anything about them, or any other programs that would still have openings for the summer?

Thanks!!

I'm running out the door right now, but just gave a presentation at a local high school about different volunteer abroad opportunities for undergrads. Check out abroadreviews.com for volunteer reviews on the agencies they have used. I will get you some more info later on today!

So I was wondering if anyone had any info on alternative abroad options outside of academia for undergraduates? I am looking at a masters program in development, hoping to get into democracy promotion, and the program I am applying into specified international professional experience as strongly preferred. I was going to spend the fall in South Africa, but am thinking that isn't happening now and have started to look at other options but can't really tell what's legit or not. I have been in contact with ProWorld. Anyone know anything about them, or any other programs that would still have openings for the summer?

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Some students I know who didn't want to study abroad interned abroad with AIESEC.

I think the most frustrating thing is that at this point they probably know who has been chosen. Right now they're probably balancing budgets, stuffing envelopes and drafting the award letters/emails. Any interaction we have with them will be with them knowing our fate, although of course they can't officially tell us yet. :) I have five finals over the next 2.5 weeks. If anyone wants to take them for me that would be great! Also, I am running a marathon on May 15. For anyone looking to burn off some stress and pass some time, I highly recommend running!

I emailed them about two weeks ago, and they said results would be both emailed and mailed.

I second the running recommendation! Just ran a 5k last weekend--it made me feel a lot better!

A few thoughts:

First, on one of the webinars I attended the Boren folks told us that they receive numerous career declarations from all of the different applicants. It is only one portion of what is considered by the committees. The moderators recommended DOD career options and Dept of State options. They were careful to emphasize that, while your proposed career path at this point is obviously not definite, an applicant whose proposal included a well thought out career path that suggested that the applicant was not simply picking an objective because it was a part of the application process would stand out. The moderators recommended finding a way to distinguish yourself from other candidates by suggesting some lesser known career options and tying them into your proposed region/language and the bigger picture of national security. All in all, I took the suggestions as a way to boost your application. In no way did I get the sense that some of the more commonly proposed careers (ie: FSO) would hurt you though - the suggestions were more of the "Career specifications won't hurt you, can only help you" type.

Also, did anyone respond to the earlier post regarding mail vs email notifications for next week? If anyone knows how we are to be notified, let us know! I'll be in NYC next week and won't be home to get my mail until May 8. Talk about bad timing!

Sometimes, I wonder if I'm going to be penalized since I already work part-time (I'm still a student) in a position that has quite a bit of interaction with AF, DoD, and NGA, among others. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the heads up! Now I can go to NY and not have to worry about what's waiting in my mailbox at home!

Just got back from the Y - worked out some of the anxiety!

I emailed them about two weeks ago, and they said results would be both emailed and mailed.

I second the running recommendation! Just ran a 5k last weekend--it made me feel a lot better!

Ok, I'm back. So here are a few things you can check out:

http://www.omprakash.org/travelresources

http://www.abroadreview.com

http://www.cev.be/29-links-EN.html

http://www.volunteerlogue.com/guide/resources/

A great book to check out: 500 Places You Can Make a Difference

Also, this may be an obvious one, but check with your local Rotary Club to see if they have scholarships available to support your overseas program.

Hope this gives you a start. A word of warning: after taking my last trip to Tanzania in January I found that of the 15 volunteers who came and went while I was there we all paid different amounts of money to different organizations all owned and run by the same man. What a discouragement! Be careful. Do your homework and try to find an organization that is, at the very least, a nonprofit.

Thanks!!

For study abroad/internship opportunities, you can also use a site like www.idealist.org to try to find internship opportunities. Another good idea, if you just want to set up an internship, may be to look at study abroad programs (like www.ciee.org or www.sit.edu) and see who they partner with in country. Then contact those orgs directly to see if you can set something up. Going through a provider will always make it more expensive! Also, if you're an undergrad, network with kids who have studied abroad. More often than not (especially in the off-the-beaten path places that attract Boren candidates...) they may have started an internship or volunteer experience and can connect you to someone in country. It's all about those connections!

Just throwing this out there as well...I only studied abroad for a month as an undergrad (and regretted it fully) so I applied to a program through the French Ministry of Education to teach English. Well, it was easy to get (they don't do a great job advertising it) and once I got it, I was paid to teach for twelve hours a week! Talk about sweet. While it didn't do a WHOLE bunch to prepare me for grad school, it did increase my fluency in French and had I wanted to, I definitely could have taken classes/volunteered/interned. I was lazy...However, I do still put this experience on my resume and always impress interviewers with the fact that it was an independent endeavor...

Spain has a similar program that pays you (rather than you paying). Just google "Spain English teaching assistantship" or "France English teaching assistantship" and I'm sure you'll find links. Unfortunately, it may be too late for next year.

Oh and the cool thing about the French assistantship is that you can go to the hexagon, or any one of the DOM-TOMs...cool or alarming, depending on how you look at it. Most of France's DOM-TOM's are beautiful islands...and probably great places to do research!!!

I know this is off topic but I hope it helps...

For study abroad/internship opportunities, you can also use a site like www.idealist.org to try to find internship opportunities. Another good idea, if you just want to set up an internship, may be to look at study abroad programs (like www.ciee.org or www.sit.edu) and see who they partner with in country. Then contact those orgs directly to see if you can set something up. Going through a provider will always make it more expensive! Also, if you're an undergrad, network with kids who have studied abroad. More often than not (especially in the off-the-beaten path places that attract Boren candidates...) they may have started an internship or volunteer experience and can connect you to someone in country. It's all about those connections!

Just throwing this out there as well...I only studied abroad for a month as an undergrad (and regretted it fully) so I applied to a program through the French Ministry of Education to teach English. Well, it was easy to get (they don't do a great job advertising it) and once I got it, I was paid to teach for twelve hours a week! Talk about sweet. While it didn't do a WHOLE bunch to prepare me for grad school, it did increase my fluency in French and had I wanted to, I definitely could have taken classes/volunteered/interned. I was lazy...However, I do still put this experience on my resume and always impress interviewers with the fact that it was an independent endeavor...

Spain has a similar program that pays you (rather than you paying). Just google "Spain English teaching assistantship" or "France English teaching assistantship" and I'm sure you'll find links. Unfortunately, it may be too late for next year.

Oh and the cool thing about the French assistantship is that you can go to the hexagon, or any one of the DOM-TOMs...cool or alarming, depending on how you look at it. Most of France's DOM-TOM's are beautiful islands...and probably great places to do research!!!

I know this is off topic but I hope it helps...

Maybe I've understood this wrong, but did you regret studying abroad or studying abroad for only one month? I've never studied abroad so if it's the former please do tell why :-)

Regret that it was so short...wish it had been MUCH longer :)

Maybe I've understood this wrong, but did you regret studying abroad or studying abroad for only one month? I've never studied abroad so if it's the former please do tell why :-)

This is great, thanks for the help!!!

Ok, I'm back. So here are a few things you can check out:

http://www.omprakash...travelresources

http://www.abroadreview.com

http://www.cev.be/29-links-EN.html

http://www.volunteer...uide/resources/

A great book to check out: 500 Places You Can Make a Difference

Also, this may be an obvious one, but check with your local Rotary Club to see if they have scholarships available to support your overseas program.

Hope this gives you a start. A word of warning: after taking my last trip to Tanzania in January I found that of the 15 volunteers who came and went while I was there we all paid different amounts of money to different organizations all owned and run by the same man. What a discouragement! Be careful. Do your homework and try to find an organization that is, at the very least, a nonprofit.

Wow so many runners amongst us! Emilyestlerock good luck on the marathon! Talk about bad timing with the tapering though; I still have enough mileage for now to stay busy. Acg good luck with the half-marathon! And Jg33 congrats on the 5k! I think there is something about the discipline it takes to run, especially longer races, that really translates well into job and professional discipline.

Jkohls83 might I tempt you to apply for Peace Corps? Best thing I ever did in my entire life! And there are PC masters programs so when you come back you can get steep discounts on grad school, never mind the merit-based assistance b/c a lot of people are highly impressed when they see PC on a resume. You're definitely able to fluently learn a language during service if you apply yourself and to become an expert on your country of service. I should qualify all of this though by saying that for all you intel people out there this may not be for you b/c there is certain number of years after service that you are barred from doing intel work. However, things like FSO, etc. are NOT barred and they look quite positively on PC service.

Thanks for this info! Yeah I have moderately glanced at PC info. I think it would be a phenomenal opportunity, but from what I understand, while you do get days off you don't get compensated enough while you are there to, say, travel back to the states to see family and friends. is that correct? I still think I may apply for it as an option after I graduate next spring, but am not 100 percent sure yet. Where did you serve?

Wow so many runners amongst us! Emilyestlerock good luck on the marathon! Talk about bad timing with the tapering though; I still have enough mileage for now to stay busy. Acg good luck with the half-marathon! And Jg33 congrats on the 5k! I think there is something about the discipline it takes to run, especially longer races, that really translates well into job and professional discipline.

Jkohls83 might I tempt you to apply for Peace Corps? Best thing I ever did in my entire life! And there are PC masters programs so when you come back you can get steep discounts on grad school, never mind the merit-based assistance b/c a lot of people are highly impressed when they see PC on a resume. You're definitely able to fluently learn a language during service if you apply yourself and to become an expert on your country of service. I should qualify all of this though by saying that for all you intel people out there this may not be for you b/c there is certain number of years after service that you are barred from doing intel work. However, things like FSO, etc. are NOT barred and they look quite positively on PC service.

Hey guys! I have been reading the forum and finally decided to join the discussion. I wish you all the best of luck! We should be notified in less than a week now. Hopefully the Boren will send out emails on May 1. This is distracting amidst finals.

Question:

Did anyone apply for Arabic at Middlebury or the American University at Cairo?

I was extracted from the Middlebury program last spring and am at AUB in Beirut right now. I am slated for the CET program in Syria next year and they are considering relocating it now. I want to focus on my Levantine Arabic. I am in contact with the Middlebury people and applied for the Jordan program after things started going south in Syria and I don't believe the Middlebury in Alexandria program is going to happen. I am wait listed for Jordan and am exploring other programs. They haven't made a decision yet about the fall and if you read the travel warning it hasn't gotten any better. I was going to go there for spring break but the security is very questionable to say it politely. All of my clothes and suitcase are still at the University of Alexandria; although I understand much of it has been stolen and may never be recovered. In my opinion Middlebury in Alexandria is the best. Were you accepted there? There's really no comparison between the quality of the Middlebury program and AUC if you are making the choice. Middlebury is much harder to get into and the program is an immersion program and they are serious as a heart attack about the language pledge. Its really the best way to learn a language. Have you enrolled in any of the Middlebury summer language programs? AUC is better for beginning and intermediate arabic students and is a good program also. I was accepted there but chose to go to the AMIDEAST in Cairo program instead because I wanted to live in downtown Cairo and not outside of town. AUC is about an hour from Cairo.

Edited by riverguide