Boren 2011-2012

jg33

Hi Guys!

I stumbled upon this forum this week and its been so good to know other people are going through the same thing as me, lol!

For whatever its worth, my friend applied for a Boren Scholarship in 2009 and recieved an email informing him of his "alternate" status on May1st.

This year, May1st is a Sunday but lets hope they get the emails out by the 2nd...

I applied for a Fellowship to study Urdu in India.

Welcome! I'm a scholarship applicant for AUC. Unfortunately, word on the "study abroad street" is that AUC will 95% be cancelled for American students for the fall due to the lack of police and non-essential US embassy staff (this may vary from school to school). I actually just received an email from her saying the resident director at UJ is holding a spot for me so I have 1 day to get all of my application materials in...so today will be a mad dash.

I'm kind of disappointed, I was really looking forward to Egypt. Hopefully (if I receive the Scholarship), I can spend the fall in Jordan and the spring in Egypt. If there are any other AUC applicants right now, I would highly advise you meet with your study abroad advisor ASAP to work out a backup plan to Morocco or Jordan.

Hey guys! I have been reading the forum and finally decided to join the discussion. I wish you all the best of luck! We should be notified in less than a week now. Hopefully the Boren will send out emails on May 1. This is distracting amidst finals.

Question:

Did anyone apply for Arabic at Middlebury or the American University at Cairo?

Thanks for this info! Yeah I have moderately glanced at PC info. I think it would be a phenomenal opportunity, but from what I understand, while you do get days off you don't get compensated enough while you are there to, say, travel back to the states to see family and friends. is that correct? I still think I may apply for it as an option after I graduate next spring, but am not 100 percent sure yet. Where did you serve?

I will chime in here. I did Peace Corps in South Africa after undergrad and it was one of the best things I've ever done. I strongly recommend it too. I had ZERO money after college (and quite a lot of debt). If you're frugal with your money while at site, and take advantage of presents family members give you for holidays, you can make it work. I was able to travel for vacations throughout my service without using any of my money, and after Peace Corps they give you about $5000 -- I used this money and traveled through Southern and East Africa and India for 4 months, and I had plenty left over when I came home. Of course, some people dipped into their savings, but not everyone. Basically, you can certainly make it work without your own money. And the experience is absolutely incredible and unlike anything you will ever do.

Hey guys! I have been reading the forum and finally decided to join the discussion. I wish you all the best of luck! We should be notified in less than a week now. Hopefully the Boren will send out emails on May 1. This is distracting amidst finals.

Question:

Did anyone apply for Arabic at Middlebury or the American University at Cairo?

If you're new to the forum, please see this spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?hl=en&hl=en&key=t3qOsagddRpBd48y-yJ-aiA&authkey=CPu-4N4N#gid=0

And then email your information to boren2011.2012@gmail.com

That way we can make an awesome spreadsheet! Thanks!

I will chime in here. I did Peace Corps in South Africa after undergrad and it was one of the best things I've ever done. I strongly recommend it too. I had ZERO money after college (and quite a lot of debt). If you're frugal with your money while at site, and take advantage of presents family members give you for holidays, you can make it work. I was able to travel for vacations throughout my service without using any of my money, and after Peace Corps they give you about $5000 -- I used this money and traveled through Southern and East Africa and India for 4 months, and I had plenty left over when I came home. Of course, some people dipped into their savings, but not everyone. Basically, you can certainly make it work without your own money. And the experience is absolutely incredible and unlike anything you will ever do.

I was in Azerbaijan and similarly had no problem with funds or time to travel. I managed to travel thoughout my country of service, and also went to Georgia, Turkey and the Balkans. I lived frugally at my site, but was still very comfortable. I didn't go into the PC with a huge amount of savings but did have a little $ from working the summer prior to my departure. You get two days of vacation for every month of service, so that adds up to like 48 days and I think there is even a small amount of money you get for your vacation days on top of your monthly allowance. Also, Erica11 is right, the readjustment allowance, which I think is up around $6,000 now, is pretty sweet when you return to the US post-service.

I've considered the Peace Corps as well, as I already volunteer a lot and enjoy it. Do you have any say whatsoever of what country you'll go to?

You pick a region and you pick a type of work - business, development, health, agriculture, youth, TEFL, etc. This means you definitely give input about what you want and know approximately where you will be . Some placements, i.e. Pacific Islands and South America, are much harder to get than others.

Riverguide, thanks for the interesting article. Welcome all newcomers! Less than a week (hopefully) until we hear something!

So did any of you that did PC make any trips back to the states? Or would it be possible if you saved to make like one trip back to the states each year? My sister just had twins and that is pretty much what is hindering me from finishing my PC app.....

I was in Azerbaijan and similarly had no problem with funds or time to travel. I managed to travel thoughout my country of service, and also went to Georgia, Turkey and the Balkans. I lived frugally at my site, but was still very comfortable. I didn't go into the PC with a huge amount of savings but did have a little $ from working the summer prior to my departure. You get two days of vacation for every month of service, so that adds up to like 48 days and I think there is even a small amount of money you get for your vacation days on top of your monthly allowance. Also, Erica11 is right, the readjustment allowance, which I think is up around $6,000 now, is pretty sweet when you return to the US post-service.

You pick a region and you pick a type of work - business, development, health, agriculture, youth, TEFL, etc. This means you definitely give input about what you want and know approximately where you will be . Some placements, i.e. Pacific Islands and South America, are much harder to get than others.

Riverguide, thanks for the interesting article. Welcome all newcomers! Less than a week (hopefully) until we hear something!

So on their FB the Boren folks said the success rate this year will be around 15-20%, which if I recall is slightly better than last year, at least for scholarships. I wonder if that 15-20% referred to fellowships AND scholarships or just scholarships.

I'm loving this PC option.:-)

Probably just scholarships, as that's what the question asked for. I'm sure the fellowship percentiles are very similar though.

So on their FB the Boren folks said the success rate this year will be around 15-20%, which if I recall is slightly better than last year, at least for scholarships. I wonder if that 15-20% referred to fellowships AND scholarships or just scholarships.

I'm loving this PC option.:-)

Edited by elementwil

So did any of you that did PC make any trips back to the states? Or would it be possible if you saved to make like one trip back to the states each year? My sister just had twins and that is pretty much what is hindering me from finishing my PC app.....

At least in my group, approximately half of the volunteers went home. Being able to afford this based on PC salary completely depends on where you are and how expensive it is, but would probably require your own money to finance it. I didn't go home, but both my mom and dad visited me during my service, which was nice.

If you're considering Peace Corps, do keep in mind that the application process is lengthy - usually about 9 months. It's not a bad idea to start now in case you think you might be interested. You can always drop out of the running later. Also, everyone has a unique experience. You will probably talk to people that hated their experience and do not recommend Peace Corps. But many others love it. It's really what you make of it - a positive attitude goes a very long way. I highly recommend it.

@Runner: Over the course of two years in the '70s my Dad rebuilt schools with the PC in the cockpit of Jamaica and he wanted me to pass on to you that it was the best training he ever had in becoming a trial lawyer. He sent me an email about this (after reading your comments) and wanted me to pass on to you and others that it teaches you to be a problem solver in struggles where the challenges are constantly changing and it teaches you to fashion solutions with scant resources. It teaches you to focus on improving people's lives in tough environments and he wanted me to pass on that your experiences will provide a foundation in your development as a lawyer that you'll never get from clerkships, moot court, law review or mock trial teams. He says you have learned to be a creative problem solver and you didn't do it for the money. He says so many in the practice of law are drawn to the profession by the promise of money and not by the opportunity to change and improve the world around you. Bean counters rarely are successful in the practice but problem solvers who focus on bettering the lives of their clients are ultimately more successful than they would ever dream possible. I hope I got that right but he wanted me to tell you that he really admired your work and your attitude and that you will be a gift to your clients and to the practice of law. BTW my father has been a very successful lawyer (when it comes to winning tough cases) and he's never done it for the money...

Edited by riverguide

@Runner: Over the course of two years in the '70s my Dad rebuilt schools with the PC in the cockpit of Jamaica and he wanted me to pass on to you that it was the best training he ever had in becoming a trial lawyer. He sent me an email about this (after reading your comments) and wanted me to pass on to you and others that it teaches you to be a problem solver in struggles where the challenges are constantly changing and it teaches you to fashion solutions with scant resources. It teaches you to focus on improving people's lives in tough environments and he wanted me to pass on that your experiences will provide a foundation in your development as a lawyer that you'll never get from clerkships, moot court, law review or mock trial teams. He says you have learned to be a creative problem solver and you didn't do it for the money. He says so many in the practice of law are drawn to the profession by the promise of money and not by the opportunity to change and improve the world around you. Bean counters rarely are successful in the practice but problem solvers who focus on bettering the lives of their clients are ultimately more successful than they would ever dream possible. I hope I got that right but he wanted me to tell you that he really admired your work and your attitude and that you will be a gift to your clients and to the practice of law. BTW my father has been a very successful lawyer (when it comes to winning tough cases) and he's never done it for the money...

Thanks for sharing these thoughts Riverguide! They're quite inspirational and actually couldn't have come at a better time as I slog through finals. I am hoping to stay the course, and hopefully, I too, like your father, will be successful at serving clients not for the money but for the principle of it. PC definitely played a key role in shaping me into the person I am, the way I view things and how I deal with problems and obstacles. I am very grateful to have had that opportunity to serve in the PC and to now be associated (vis-a-vis PC) with amazing RPCVs like your father.

Jkohls83, I did get home once and I actually found that costs for travel elsewhere and travel home tended to be about the same. When you travel elsewhere you pay for everything - meals, housing, airfare, entertainment, etc., but when you go home people are so happy to have you there they take pretty good care of you (at least that was the tendency in my case) so you don't have to budget too much for anything besides airfare.

Everybody, sorry to highjack this thread will stuff about the Peace Corps. You know what I thought of today, some of us are probably going to be named alternates. Ughh, that would mean even more waiting........ :lol: Does anyone think there is a possibility we will hear this Friday?

Edited by Runner

I hope we hear on Friday! The wait's driving me crazy.

ME TOOO! I'm sure they've finished making decisions already- why can't they just email us with the response and worry about all of the paperwork later! I'm really hoping for tomorrow (or today but I HIGHLY doubt that)

ME TOOO! I'm sure they've finished making decisions already- why can't they just email us with the response and worry about all of the paperwork later! I'm really hoping for tomorrow (or today but I HIGHLY doubt that)

I have most of my midterms early next week (my uni has had a strike that has made our timeline real bizarre) so I just HOPE they tell us by Friday so I'm not quadruple stressed. :-S Gotta keep telling ourselves "checking your email every ten minutes doesn't make them send it faster".

I have most of my midterms early next week (my uni has had a strike that has made our timeline real bizarre) so I just HOPE they tell us by Friday so I'm not quadruple stressed. :-S Gotta keep telling ourselves "checking your email every ten minutes doesn't make them send it faster".

Does someone want to email someone at Boren to ask about when they're emailing us?! At least then we can breath a little if it's not happening until next week...

Does someone want to email someone at Boren to ask about when they're emailing us?! At least then we can breath a little if it's not happening until next week...

In all other communications that people have had recently the people over at Boren said "first week of May". I'm just hoping it will be tomorrow (even though they said first week of May). Perhaps they keep saying that in case we don't hear this week and they are actually trying to get it out sooner. Monday seems very likely.

They told me "next week" in an email dated on the 25th.

I wish I had clicked on this link earlier! I thought it was just for Fellowship applicants.

I applied for a Boren Scholarship to study in Istanbul, Turkey, next year. I haven't received any emails asking about updates - as an undergrad should I be worried, or is this just for the fellows?

Hopefully they'll tell us soon! I've been checking the Boren Twitter/Facebook pages and my email for updates every time I turn around.

I wish I had clicked on this link earlier! I thought it was just for Fellowship applicants.

I applied for a Boren Scholarship to study in Istanbul, Turkey, next year. I haven't received any emails asking about updates - as an undergrad should I be worried, or is this just for the fellows?

Hopefully they'll tell us soon! I've been checking the Boren Twitter/Facebook pages and my email for updates every time I turn around.

Welcome! Will you please email your information (for the spreadsheet) to boren2011.2012@gmail.com?

Thanks!