Boren 2011-2012

jg33

We're almost there guys! About another week and a half...I just checked my Scholarship application on the Boren website and I couldn't access it anymore! Guess that means they're printed out and in front of the National Nominating Committee...

P.S. - Happy Easter everyone!

Hi all,

for those of you that received three emails from boren, could you detail a bit what they said?

This wait is SERIOUSLY killing me. It's a hair-pulling session here every night.

Btw. I applied for a scholarship program in Brazil. Good luck everyone!

Edited by coleoptera_fly

Not really my thing. If it doesn't work out I'll be one of those people who end up going to law school because all else failed. :lol: But I'll do my best to ensure that somehow it does work out.

I'll try not to be offended by this. :P I don't know why anyone in the world would think law school is a good idea unless it's really what they want to do. Law school debt can get as high as $200,000 unless you have awesome financial aid. In other words, don't do it unless you want to be a lawyer or want to work on legal issues!!B)

coleoptera_fly weclome! Be sure to add you info to the spreadsheet jg33 has put together: https://spreadsheets...=CPu-4N4N#gid=0 . You can email the info to boren2011.2012@gmail.com.

Also,

Hi all,

for those of you that received three emails from boren, could you detail a bit what they said?

I applied for the Fellowship and got the following email on March 18th from the Boren staff:

"Thank you for applying for the Boren Fellowship.

At this time we want to make sure that you don’t have any small changes with your budget or timeline. We want to make sure the we have a clear idea theexact costs of your program (as near as you can tell at this point) and the exact dates. If you have large changes – i.e. you want to go overseas for 6 months, instead of 3, please do not send us those changes at this time.

If you have changes,please email them back to me by Wednesday, March 23. If you are changingyour budget please use the same categories as you originally used, which can be found at - http://www.borenawar...hip/budget.html(you should then specifically look at the overseas and domestic guidelines).

If you have any questions please feel free to call or send us an email.

Thank you."

It seems the other emails are more specific questions about people's budgets. There was also an email for ALI applicants, reminding them to apply to that program separately.

I'll try not to be offended by this. :P I don't know why anyone in the world would think law school is a good idea unless it's really what they want to do. Law school debt can get as high as $200,000 unless you have awesome financial aid. In other words, don't do it unless you want to be a lawyer or want to work on legal issues!!B)

Don't be, I was joking :-P I'm well aware the law school debt plus the fact that I'm not very interested in becoming a lawyer means I wouldn't consider this option even if all else fails. I'm not occupying a space in any grad school that I don't want when there can be someone else out there that really does want it.

Did any of the undergrads here apply for the Gilman scholarship?

Edited by StephanieM

Well, I didn't get the Gilman award apparently, so there's no way I'm getting the Boren. This is why I don't like having hope.

Steph:

If you're going to speak languages, you have to believe in yourself because you're putting it all out there. When it comes to speaking and learning another language, a great professor once said, "if you've got it, flaunt it." You've made it to the finals. You've overcome hurdles that a lot of us didn't have. You need to believe in yourself and have a backup plan. We all get knocked down; but the ones that get up and keep going are the long distance runners. Keep the faith.

Edited by riverguide

What did everyone put as there intended job for the service requirement?

I don't know if this was a downfall, but here I was not specific as to ONE job that I would like to pursue in the future. Here are excerpts from Part 1 of my statement that I thought communicated my situation:

"The issues facing the United States on the world stage are increasingly complex and scientific in nature. ....."

"It is vitally important that those working to further the interests of the United States on the world stage be able to rely on and work with researchers and scientists who understand the issues at hand. It is equally essential that our scientists and diplomats are able to communicate with the officials and scientists of other nations with whom we must cooperate. I hope to fill that role, and that is why I hope to further my scientific studies in Russia. ....."

"There are several US agencies that deal with research and development cooperation with Russia, including the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the Department of Energy, the Department of Health and Human Services, the National Science Foundation, and the Department of Defense. Effective professionals working in areas of research internationally posses an advanced degree in a scientific field as well as proficiency in a foreign language, therefore participation in such activities requires a doctorate degree. After completing my bachelor’s degree I plan on attending graduate school to prepare for a career in biochemistry in collaboration with scientists internationally. After my experience abroad and achieving an advanced degree in the natural sciences, I would like to pursue a career with one of these agencies working with Russia. ....."

Then I listed several specific opportunities. I didn't state that I already had it figured out.

So as I am understanding, all of you mentioned a specific job???

It just seemed like in the webinars EVERYBODY wanted to become a foreign service officer .... I just listed my goals and expect that my graduate studies will give me more specific qualification and from there a position with any of these agencies can be molded to ME.

If I do not get the award, this could be an indicator.

I don't know if this was a downfall, but here I was not specific as to ONE job that I would like to pursue in the future. Here are excerpts from Part 1 of my statement that I thought communicated my situation:

I actually listed two "specific" positions I wanted, but did point out that through graduate studies and the experience abroad my interests might change and I may want a different position to fulfill the service requirement. I don't think they're going to disqualify anyone who isn't sure; part of studying abroad is having the experience shape what we want, so having such a specific idea of what we want may actually be a mistake as we'll force ourselves to fit a "mold" rather than get a position that better fits within our skills, talents, and experiences. Does this make sense?

Riverguide, thanks. I guess I'm down about it because the chances of getting a Gilman award are much higher than of getting a Boren, so I feel like if i didn't get one, no way I can get the other.

Edited by StephanieM

I took the same approach. When you get into federal agencies, you almost never get where you "want" to work. Federal agencies, for the most part, like employees who can perform a wide variety of tasks and have a diverse amount of knowledge and skills.

Steph, the Gilman and Boren are two mutually exclusive programs! Don't let one outcome affect your thoughts on the other...the judging criteria is completely different. Hang in there!

I actually listed two "specific" positions I wanted, but did point out that through graduate studies and the experience abroad my interests might change and I may want a different position to fulfill the service requirement. I don't think they're going to disqualify anyone who isn't sure; part of studying abroad is having the experience shape what we want, so having such a specific idea of what we want may actually be a mistake as we'll force ourselves to fit a "mold" rather than get a position that better fits within our skills, talents, and experiences. Does this make sense?

Riverguide, thanks. I guess I'm down about it because the chances of getting a Gilman award are much higher than of getting a Boren, so I feel like if i didn't get one, no way I can get the other.

Special Agent, FBI.

Knew it (I reviewed the surveillance tapes). Very impressive.

I agree with elementwil again about the job description. I know successful candidates who listed intelligence or NGO development or simply State Department and broadly defined how national security would be served within the overall area.

And Steph, I just checked up on the Gilman too and I wouldn't judge your success or chances here by the Gilman. Apples and oranges and you don't know the stats either.

Edited by riverguide

Well, I didn't get the Gilman award apparently, so there's no way I'm getting the Boren. This is why I don't like having hope.

Don't give up hope!

Yesterday, I found out that I didn't win Fulbright, which is a downer. But, really, there are so many other opportunities out there. There is just no sense in getting yourself down because you didn't win one thing. Especially when you have a great shot at winning so many other things!

One thing I always like to think of is this: if you've made it to the finals for anything (e.g., interview, scholarship), you have what it takes to win. At that point in time, I think it takes just a little luck. Maybe one of the things in your application sticks out to a particular reviewer (e.g., you share a similar passion, your situation seems familiar to one they have gone through), and that will end up helping you out.

Edited by jg33

"The issues facing the United States on the world stage are increasingly complex and scientific in nature. ....."

"It is vitally important that those working to further the interests of the United States on the world stage be able to rely on and work with researchers and scientists who understand the issues at hand. It is equally essential that our scientists and diplomats are able to communicate with the officials and scientists of other nations with whom we must cooperate. I hope to fill that role, and that is why I hope to further my scientific studies in Russia. ....."

"There are several US agencies that deal with research and development cooperation with Russia, including the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the Department of Energy, the Department of Health and Human Services, the National Science Foundation, and the Department of Defense. Effective professionals working in areas of research internationally posses an advanced degree in a scientific field as well as proficiency in a foreign language, therefore participation in such activities requires a doctorate degree. After completing my bachelor’s degree I plan on attending graduate school to prepare for a career in biochemistry in collaboration with scientists internationally. After my experience abroad and achieving an advanced degree in the natural sciences, I would like to pursue a career with one of these agencies working with Russia. ....."

Then I listed several specific opportunities. I didn't state that I already had it figured out.

So as I am understanding, all of you mentioned a specific job???

It just seemed like in the webinars EVERYBODY wanted to become a foreign service officer .... I just listed my goals and expect that my graduate studies will give me more specific qualification and from there a position with any of these agencies can be molded to ME.

I didn't list a specific job either, so don't feel alone. :-]

I tried to tie in the places I want to work for and the things I want to do with the job I currently have, which is probably somewhat similar to what I'll be doing in the future.

Don't give up hope!

Yesterday, I found out that I didn't win Fulbright, which is a downer. But, really, there are so many other opportunities out there. There is just no sense in getting yourself down because you didn't win one thing. Especially when you have a great shot at winning so many other things!

One thing I always like to think of is this: if you've made it to the finals for anything (e.g., interview, scholarship), you have what it takes to win. At that point in time, I think it takes just a little luck. Maybe one of the things in your application sticks out to a particular reviewer (e.g., you share a similar passion, your situation seems familiar to one they have gone through), and that will end up helping you out.

Thanks everyone, you've all made me feel better about it. Hopefully we'll get the Boren award.

I sent them an email and they replied with "At this point all applications have been reviewed, and notifications will be made next week. You will hear from us shortly". I'm dying to know!

Edited by StephanieM

Hi everyone,

Someone asked about dealing with the wait, and I think that's a really productive conversation starter!!! I'm trying actively to identify a plan B so that I don't have a fallout next week if a small envelope hits my mailbox.

So, I've been WRITING DOWN my plan B, with as much detail as possible. Plan B includes travel, summer courses, splurging on a road bike with some leftover student loan money (don't tell Sallie Mae!), hiking the Oregon Coast, STILL going abroad to West Africa, just for less time, etc. I'm trying to have a reminder of how awesome my life still will be without the fellowship...and I want to be able to read it over and over through my tears ;)

I've also been neglecting school but thankfully, we're on the quarter system, so my finals aren't until June. Those of you on a semester system must be writing final papers just about now? Must be nerve-wracking!

Any other advice out there on how not to self-destruct this week? I'll take it!

Hi all,

This wait is SERIOUSLY killing me. It's a hair-pulling session here every night.

Btw. I applied for a scholarship program in Brazil. Good luck everyone!

I guess it did seem like everyone wanted to be an FSO. I only put it as my choice because I thought it would make my application more competitive. Besides, I don't think they give out boren awards to guys who want to fly helicopters for the military. Maybe that was a bad judgment call.

Any other advice out there on how not to self-destruct this week? I'll take it!

I honestly shouldn't say anything considering I'm still tearing up over not getting the Gilman award, but I'd say lots of sleep. Makes next week come by quicker :D. Planning out a Plan B I think is also a good thing, but in a way it's a downer for me because it's like I'm already thinking I lost? Other than that... basically I'm planning out if I can still afford a semester if I can't go a year. And this forum helps. It's nice knowing I'm not alone in the insane email checking. :D

Edited by StephanieM

I think the most frustrating thing is that at this point they probably know who has been chosen. Right now they're probably balancing budgets, stuffing envelopes and drafting the award letters/emails. Any interaction we have with them will be with them knowing our fate, although of course they can't officially tell us yet. :) I have five finals over the next 2.5 weeks. If anyone wants to take them for me that would be great! Also, I am running a marathon on May 15. For anyone looking to burn off some stress and pass some time, I highly recommend running!

Edited by Runner

Putting down that you want to be a FSO is not going to make or break your application. They probably just use it as confirmation that you're committed to serving the U.S. federal government and have done research on a position. Unless they are under the directorate of someone from the State or Defense Department to award them to people who write down specific jobs that are in high demand, I wouldn't worry about it too much. And they actually do give the awards out to military personnel...they just have to decommission during their study abroad program.

P.S. - The Boren facebook page posted something about a college getting 30+ nationally competitive awards, including one Boren scholar. I wonder if our advisors know?!

I guess it did seem like everyone wanted to be an FSO. I only put it as my choice because I thought it would make my application more competitive. Besides, I don't think they give out boren awards to guys who want to fly helicopters for the military. Maybe that was a bad judgment call.

The way the article was worded it looked like they were talking about past Boren award recipients, not this semester, so I think the advisors wouldn't know... :-(

I wish they'd send us an email telling us the results before we got an envelope. I dunno about you guys but where I live I always end up getting the mail two weeks later than what I'm supposed to.

Edited by StephanieM