Boren 2011-2012

jg33

From the 2010 Orientation Program Handbook:

Deferrals

Boren awards for semester or year study can be deferred to another academic year only under extraordinary circumstances, and only with the written approval of IIE. Requests for deferral must be submitted to IIE in writing. Students requesting deferral must demonstrate that they will not graduate prior to the time that they will return from the deferred study abroad program. Scholarships for summer-only study cannot be deferred.

Haha, Rebekah. I tried to bait Michael Saffle into giving me more info with an email much like yours but got a very similar response :)

Unfortunately, all of this anticipation has made me very unproductive. Not good!!!

GOOD LUCK to everyone!

@Emilyestlerock: I received the same email this morning...what does it mean?!?! Have any of the other ALI applicants received it? These next two weeks are going to drag by!! Good luck and happy waiting!!

I feel your pain, Emily! I know we won't know anything for at least a week and a half so I should just stop thinking about it. I'm glad we have this forum to vent, but it is also proving to be a big distraction!

Haha, Rebekah. I tried to bait Michael Saffle into giving me more info with an email much like yours but got a very similar response :)

Unfortunately, all of this anticipation has made me very unproductive. Not good!!!

GOOD LUCK to everyone!

From my emails with Mr. Saffle and from talking to prior Award/Fellowship recipients, my understanding of deferral is that it is much easier to do within the same academic year you applied for (aka I applied for the summer but may want to travel in the fall, or January instead) versus postponing it to the next academic year/funding cycle (ie lumped in with next year's applicants). For the February 2011 deadline, that is for any travel that starts prior to March 2012. So I am hoping to still go to Syria but just push it back until January 2012. When I asked about this circumstance, Saffle responded that "we might be allowed to postpone our planned program, or Boren will help us choose another country/program."

From the 2010 Orientation Program Handbook:

Deferrals

Boren awards for semester or year study can be deferred to another academic year only under extraordinary circumstances, and only with the written approval of IIE. Requests for deferral must be submitted to IIE in writing. Students requesting deferral must demonstrate that they will not graduate prior to the time that they will return from the deferred study abroad program. Scholarships for summer-only study cannot be deferred.

Hey Guys,

I am a fellowship applicant, and did NOT receive an e-mail in March like most of you did. I read every word in this forum hoping for some clue! Sounds like the e-mail that was sent out is a good indicator whether you made it to the national panel. Makes me very, very sad.

Hopefully, they send out comments on how to make your application better when they send the rejection letters. I shall apply next year again!

Good luck to everyone! I hope the best for all of you!

Welcome dancer2011 and all other newcomers. None of us really know definitively what the emails from Boren mean, but perhaps we'll nail that down with the spreadsheet. For now, I think we call all proceed on the premise that there is still hope for everyone! :)

On a different note, does anyone have information on the format of notification from IIE regarding the final decision about the awards? Is it snail mail for everyone? I've heard a few people mention emails.

Hopefully the Boren money (from the National Security Education Act of 1991) isn't tied up in Congress like the Title VI funding for Fulbright awards, NRCs and FLAS awards. I think the NRC and FLAS funding is secure now for next year, but not all the Fulbright funding.

Anyone have any clue how many of the people who make it to the national panel win?

I'm getting excited that I apparently made it but I'm concerned, say, 75% of the people make it to national and out of those 5% win or something like that. Cheesy example, but like in American Idol where hundreds "go to Hollywood" and just a few actually make it.

Edited by StephanieM

Anyone have any clue how many of the people who make it to the national panel win?

I'm getting excited that I apparently made it but I'm concerned, say, 75% of the people make it to national and out of those 5% win or something like that. Cheesy example, but like in American Idol where hundreds "go to Hollywood" and just a few actually make it.

Last year, there were 519 applicants for fellowships and 99 recipients, so a little under 20% of the total applicants won. This year, I think there were around 600 applicants for around the same number of grants. So, let's just assume there were 600 applicants for 100 grants. I don't know how many people get forwarded to the national panel, but here are a few different scenarios:

% of Applicants Forwarded to National Panel ::::::::::::::::::::: % of Forwarded Applicants that Win

16.67 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 100

20 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 83.33

30 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 55.56

40 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 41.67

50 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 33.33

60 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 27.78

70 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 23.81

80 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 20.83

90 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 18.51

100 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 16.67

So, take your pick of what percentage of the applicants get forwarded to the national panel and from there you can figure out what percentage of those applicants win. My guess would be that the number of applicants forwarded to the national panel ranges from 40% to 60% of the total number of applicants, that way the national panel has enough people to choose from (there would be 2.4 to 3.6 finalists per available grant). If this is the case, they could choose roughly 1 awardee out of every 3 finalists.

Edited by jg33

Last year, there were 519 applicants for fellowships and 99 recipients, so a little under 20% of the total applicants won. This year, I think there were around 600 applicants for around the same number of grants. So, let's just assume there were 600 applicants for 100 grants. I don't know how many people get forwarded to the national panel, but here are a few different scenarios:

% of Applicants Forwarded to National Panel ::::::::::::::::::::: % of Forwarded Applicants that Win

16.67 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 100

20 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 83.33

30 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 55.56

40 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 41.67

50 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 33.33

60 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 27.78

70 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 23.81

80 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 20.83

90 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 18.51

100 :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 16.67

So, take your pick of what percentage of the applicants get forwarded to the national panel and from there you can figure out what percentage of those applicants win. My guess would be that the number of applicants forwarded to the national panel ranges from 40% to 60% of the total number of applicants, that way the national panel has enough people to choose from (there would be 2.4 to 3.6 finalists per available grant). If this is the case, they could choose roughly 1 awardee out of every 3 finalists.

Sorry about the formatting, Grad Cafe keeps deleting my spaces.

I attended one of the online webinars last fall for Boren and the Boren reps on the webinar told us that with the new African Languages Initiative there would be approximately 10-15 extra fellowship awards given out this year specifically for the ALI program. As long as this hasn't changed since last fall that could improve the odds for everyone even if you're not an ALI applicant.

For anyone new to the board who hasn't gone all the way back to the first page, jg33 started a great spreadsheet for everyone who applied for Boren. Check it out and let him know your info so we can add it: send to boren2011.2012@gmail.com

Well, the odds are substantially different for the Boren scholarships. There are 138 being chosen from 944 or about 1/7. There are unequal numbers though drawn for each language. For Arabic, there were 42 chosen from 239 applicants so that makes your odds approximately 1/6. For Mandarin, there were 31 chosen from 190 applicants; again about 1/6. Here's where it gets tricky: for Russian, there were 118 applicants for 15 slots or about 1/8. For Japanese, its about 1/10. Of course, those are gross numbers before they were filtered by the regional board...so who knows.

Well, the odds are substantially different for the Boren scholarships. There are 138 being chosen from 944 or about 1/7. There are unequal numbers though drawn for each language. For Arabic, there were 42 chosen from 239 applicants so that makes your odds approximately 1/6. For Mandarin, there were 31 chosen from 190 applicants; again about 1/6. Here's where it gets tricky: for Russian, there were 118 applicants for 15 slots or about 1/8. For Japanese, its about 1/10. Of course, those are gross numbers before they were filtered by the regional board...so who knows.

:-( It's hard but I hope I get it. There's no way I'll get into any of the grad schools I want without going abroad for a year, because the courses I'm taking while abroad are not offered at my uni.

The Boren is very prestigious. It will help with grad school and future employment but the fact that you taught yourself Russian Steph and that you've come this far in the competition means that there's not anything you can't accomplish...

Yes, that's true. And, even with the fellowships, depending on what language you applied for, your chances could be different. Also, the number of applicants for each language could change by quite a bit each year, so there really is no way to know.

One thing I suppose you could assume is that they send the right number of people for each language or country to the nationals, that way they have enough people to choose from (e.g., the 2.4 to 3.6 I listed before). For example, if they sent hardly anybody to the nationals for a particular language, they might end up having to choose all of those people to meet their goals for a particular language. So, who knows?

Edited by jg33

I attended one of the online webinars last fall for Boren and the Boren reps on the webinar told us that with the new African Languages Initiative there would be approximately 10-15 extra fellowship awards given out this year specifically for the ALI program. As long as this hasn't changed since last fall that could improve the odds for everyone even if you're not an ALI applicant.

For anyone new to the board who hasn't gone all the way back to the first page, jg33 started a great spreadsheet for everyone who applied for Boren. Check it out and let him know your info so we can add it: send to boren2011.2012@gmail.com

Thanks! The link to the spreadsheet is: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?hl=en&hl=en&key=t3qOsagddRpBd48y-yJ-aiA&authkey=CPu-4N4N#gid=0

:-( It's hard but I hope I get it. There's no way I'll get into any of the grad schools I want without going abroad for a year, because the courses I'm taking while abroad are not offered at my uni.

The Boren is very prestigious. It will help with grad school and future employment but the fact that you taught yourself Russian Steph and that you've come this far in the competition means that there's not anything you can't accomplish...

I agree. Even if you don't get it (it sounds like you have a great chance though), there are other things you can do to help yourself get into graduate school. Generally, it seems that a lot of places like applicants who have done some sort of undergraduate research. So, that might be something worth looking into.

Hello everyone! I applied for a Boren Scholarship. I'm very nervous as the school I come from isn't a "big name" school and there was a massive strike that delayed everything at my uni so I sent unofficial transcripts (although I emailed them and they said it was okay). I've only received one email from them, the one to update budget and financial aid info.

So, here goes:

Name: Stephanie M. Country: Russia. Type: Scholarship. Language: Russian, Major/area of study while abroad: Russian, Russian economics, Russian politics.

Hey, I also applied for the Boren Scholarship to study in Russia. I'm going for 12 weeks in the summer to Novosibirsk, Siberia. How about you? How long is your program and where are you going to study?

I agree. Even if you don't get it (it sounds like you have a great chance though), there are other things you can do to help yourself get into graduate school. Generally, it seems that a lot of places like applicants who have done some sort of undergraduate research. So, that might be something worth looking into.

Well the grad schools I want to go to ask for a year's worth of Russian lessons (or more) and my uni doesn't offer any :-(

Zaikar, mine's for a year, in Moscow.

Edited by StephanieM

Well the grad schools I want to go to ask for a year's worth of Russian lessons (or more) and my uni doesn't offer any :-(

Zaikar, mine's for a year, in Moscow.

Steph:

I would look at the Middlebury summer language schools in Vermont and at Mills in Califiornia for "plan b.". They are intense immersion programs that are recognized as the best. I hope I'm not insulting anyone but I come from a family where everyone has foreign language degrees and my mother teaches French, Spanish and German and Middlebury, by far, has the best reputation in the states. There are financial aid packages available and the programs require placement tests at the beginning. They sometimes are taken over the internet (my sister is attending the Vermont French program and took hers over the internet). It is clearly recognized by all of the Ivy Leagues and many of the IR grad schools as the best summer immersion program. You speak the chosen language 24/7 both in and out of class. Your dorm mates will all speak the same and except for a few calls home you never speak english for the duration. Meals, TV and afterclass activities are all in the chosen language. If you choose the summer length program you can receive up to two years of language studies. I received 16 hours of credit for intermediate arabic and it gave me a self confidence and a fluency that moved me and everyone else I know who has attended to the top of the class in abilities thereafter. I've studied arabic with students that have taken it longer and they still didn't compare to the fluency and confidence the school gave me. You might want to make this your back-up plan and I believe that Middlebury is still accepting Russian students for this summer.

http://www.middlebury.edu/ls/russian

Edited by riverguide

Thanks. I've wanted to transfer to Middlebury for a while but can't afford it. I'm going to Moscow this summer for a language course and if I don't get the Boren I guess I'll have to do the middlebury course the summer after this one. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm looking into it.

The summer cost, with everything included, is about 1/5 the cost of going to Middlebury for the year. Thay have lots of financial aid and its just not for Middlebury full time students. I'm glad you're checking it out!

One last thing about Middlebury: it's a great networking device. Not only do you meet fellow students who you will continue to see throughout your studies and careers in other programs and other countries but you will encounter government agencies running employment presentations that you've never seen anywhere else...

Edited by riverguide

Hey, if it doesn't work out you can join the coast guard

Not really my thing. If it doesn't work out I'll be one of those people who end up going to law school because all else failed. :lol: But I'll do my best to ensure that somehow it does work out.