Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

This process takes soooooo long. I guess it's understandable since there are so many "moving parts." I don't really like that my campus advisor will know before I do either. Oh well, this still is not as nerve-wracking as waiting for the results of my qualification exam. My job was on the line then.

This process takes soooooo long. I guess it's understandable since there are so many "moving parts." I don't really like that my campus advisor will know before I do either. Oh well, this still is not as nerve-wracking as waiting for the results of my qualification exam. My job was on the line then.

I really dont understand why it takes them so long...they had the results at the beginning of January...it seems strange that they need 3 weeks to process and send out e-mail notifications

Guys, I know this is random but I was just thinking about it. How strong are your affiliations? The Fulbright website says that they can vary a lot, with some being more independent and some needing a lab and stuff. For me, my affiliations are more hands off with supervision when needed, scheduled study/office visits, providing contacts, access to some journals/library. I really don't know if they will consider that a strong affiliation though. I mean, I don't really need a "lab" or "office" all the time. What do you guys have in your affiliations?

i have an affiliation from a professor at a university 50 minutes outside of berlin (i would be commuting by train) in which he states i am require to attend 3 tutorials a semester and give 2 presentations on my work to him and fellow students. that's pretty standard for germany, from my understanding. i also have an affiliation with a museum offering me an internship and access to research in the archives. both are on letterhead. i included an additional letter from a local artist that would support the "cultural exchange" portion of my application. that's the portion i am most worried about because i fear they might find it too ambitious or impossible to complete. i'm also worried about including three because i hear they won't read more than two. i stated explicitly in my proposal why i included the third. we'll see how that goes.

Re: the affiliation

How many of you guys are applying for a full grant? My affiliation is my acceptance to a one year master's program at the university of birmingham and I'm worried that they won't like that.

Does anyone know if they prefer funding things that are less formal than a master's program?

Re: the affiliation

How many of you guys are applying for a full grant? My affiliation is my acceptance to a one year master's program at the university of birmingham and I'm worried that they won't like that.

Does anyone know if they prefer funding things that are less formal than a master's program?

It depends on the country. For Switzerland, they prefer research applicants. It should say on the country profile what they prefer? Or maybe stalk the past years recipients and see what they did?

Why do they notify FPAs a day early, I wonder?

It sounds like the general bet is on or around the 20th. Wish we could get some kind of official confirmation. Nice to have the company while we wait, anyway. :)

Do you think there's a disadvantage for *just* doing a Master's and no really defined separate research project?

Also: has anyone found a complete list of grantees for 2011-12? I have the impression it's not published -- maybe they're waiting until the year is out.

Edited by MarcelloMarcelli

Hi all,

I've applied for a research grant to Germany. I'm not too sure what Fulbright seeks in terms of a strong affiliation. I have an affiliate in a University Laboratory who will provide support, lab training and a chance to be in a published journal. I also have another affiliate to supplement the research which is more of a cultural connection and informational contact.

I was wondering if having a very interesting topic would be a significant advantage or not? That is assuming the proposal is well thought out.

Things have been going so bad right now i.e. life and hopefully Fulbright will help me get out of this slump. It will be a dream come true but in the meantime, this wait is killer...

Best of luck to everyone not applying for Germany! haha jk

Best of luck to all!!

Yeah, the wait is absolutely killing me as well. I worked on my application for almost two years, which included language classes in both Sicilian and Italian, reworking my research proposal 20 + times, publishing in Italian literary journals (I'm applying in the field of creative writing), even visiting this sulfur mining museum in Enna, Sicily, where I met the museum director in person in order to get a solid affiliation. I have SO MUCH admiration for people who apply multiple times before finally getting the Fulbright, because I am going to be so devastated if I don't get it. But there's only so much prep work you can do, and I know I did everything in my power to prepare the best application possible. Whatever will be will be, as they say. Good luck to everyone!!!

jng1520: It sounds like you're in a really good place. From what I've heard from other Fulbright Fellows, your affiliation letter is the most important aspect of your application, followed by a very specific, community-related research proposal. Best wishes to you!!

Guys, I know this is random but I was just thinking about it. How strong are your affiliations? The Fulbright website says that they can vary a lot, with some being more independent and some needing a lab and stuff. For me, my affiliations are more hands off with supervision when needed, scheduled study/office visits, providing contacts, access to some journals/library. I really don't know if they will consider that a strong affiliation though. I mean, I don't really need a "lab" or "office" all the time. What do you guys have in your affiliations?

I have two universities as my affiliations (one in Florence and one in Milan), but the supervision offered by my "sponsors" (two professors) is really on an "as needed" basis. I think (hope) the committees will take the individual projects into consideration when they look at the affiliations, as a history project requiring archival research and minimal supervision is vastly different than a science project requiring the use of lab space. At least for my project, close supervision will be more of a hindrance than a help.

I had letters from two different Professors at the same University in Leuven: one in Arts and one in Philosophy, each directors of institutes that are related and support my multidisciplinary project in philosophy. They were both very strong letters--one of them two pages long--including personal endorsement as well as the soft promise of office space. I would imagine that a "strong" affiliation simply means well-documented, detailed support from individuals of high authority in a host institution....

Hi guys,

I'm applying for a Fulbright-Fogarty research grant in Sub-Saharan Africa and didn't even know this forum existed until now. After reading through I just wanted to add that I called and spoke with an SSA coordinator and she said we should hear within 10 days. And that was yesterday.

that is the end of the useful information- the following is just obsessive stressing.

The waiting really is just so terrible.... am a 4th year PhD student and it seems like I've spent the last 10 years of my life applying for things... schools, then scholarships, then grants and fellowships, internships.... sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. My birthday is in February and for the past 10 years I've spent that time waiting to hear about something or, having just received a decision and either celebrating or wallowing accordingly. Some applications have meant more to me than others but I would honestly say that this application means more to me than any of the previous ones.

I hate applying for nation-wide things. The decisions always seem to take so agonizingly long, you know so little about the other applicants and have almost no information in the interim but of course, winning a nation-wide academic honor is well worth the agony. I used to stress so badly I couldn't sleep. But now I just try to remind myself that if I don't get it, I must not have been the most qualified person and next time, I will be.

Anyway, this is probably really depressing but I've come to the point where I almost cherish these final moments before any type of "elimination-round" because at least I still have the fantasy of success :-) Right now, I can still daydream about the awesome research project and fantastic horizon-broadening experiences to be had. I can still hope for the best and think of the possibilities. So, I guess what I'm getting at is that as horrible as the waiting is, I've learned that in the "sometimes-ya-win-sometimes-ya-lose" scenario, after the decisions are handed out you no longer have the luxury of curiosity. right now, this agonizing waiting is the middle ground. You know nothing, but you can still hope. after decisions are made, either

A: you get rejected and lose the possibility of even fantasizing about getting the award or

B: B) cloud nine

So at least, right now, this minute, we are all still on equal ground. Nobody needs consoled, congratulated or counseled. We can all still hope that we get it and think of the wonderful things we will do. I personally am going to cling to these last few days and try my very best not to re-read my applicaiton, or think of it at all because I know 100% for sure I did the best I could and that they will chose someone qualified and if that person isn't me then they must be pretty darn good ;-)

in summary.... they say the waiting gets easier but it doesn't feel like it.

good luck to all!

ps. in totally unrelated new; does anyone know if you can set an iphone to check email every 30 seconds?

Edited by Biomed2012