Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

oa0176, if you email your FPA, would you please let us know what he/she says? I'm At Large and kind of starved for news. (Does it show? ;) )

Though I suppose in 20 days' time, when we found out won't matter a bit!

P.S. Bol sans! Cok yakinda hepimiz cevap alacagiz insallah. Neden Turkiye'yi sectin?

To distract ourselves...anyone want to talk about Plan Bs? Or why you picked your potential host country?

Edited by MarcelloMarcelli

well, at this point, it seems that both of the program managers for europe and eurasia have said that there isn't a specific date (e.g. January 31st). i contacted my FPA this evening and expect her to reply later tonight or in the morning. it would be strange if the FPAs were told January 31st while at the same time the program managers themselves are saying that there is no specific date!

I'm currently freaking out at the idea that I could have a decision at any moment (here's hoping it's this Friday) but on the topic of Plan B's, I have a few. I applied for the Austria USTA in addition to the Germany ETA, so I guess that's kind of my back-up, since I just mailed my application yesterday and won't know anything until I'm accepted or denied. Beyond that I'm working with a teacher recruitment/placement firm to find interviews at private/independent schools, and am looking at possibly applying to a few Teaching Fellowship programs in the US at boarding schools and the like...haven't really made up my mind. I may also just take an au pair position in Germany and have another go at applying for the ETA, and also apply to graduate programs (MFA creative writing). Anyone else?

hopefully my FPA emails me back tomorrow, i'll let you know what he says. Anyway, I chose Turkey because I have been obsessed with it ever since I took a class that focused on women in turkey, with a turkish professor and she was awesome!

where did you apply?

Omg. Everyone has a different answer, crazy!

Tomorrow is Friday. So, if historically, they go out Friday... :/

I've been accepted into a master's program at the University of Birmingham, so if I don't get the grant I've going to save up as much money as I can and go anyway.

18 days, maybe less. Then, if we're lucky, another 2 months or more. Uggh, this is worse than pregnancy - at least I knew I'd have a baby at the end.

My Plan B is to maintain the status quo - I work 1/2 time and am in the 1st year of a 2 year MA program; however, I would much rather finish it on the Mediterranean B). It's kind of do-or-die for me this year; I think going any later would be too disruptive to my kids' schooling.

My plan B is to find a job that ideally would send me to same place. But my attittude right now, is what ever is meant to be will be, it would be great to know I wonder why it takes so long between all the decisions coming in and them sending out the notification emails... or (maybe it just feels so long).

I turned the application in October and tried to put it out of my mind since it was going to be several months before we heard anything... But ever since we got closer and closer to ringing in the new year, my excitement/desire to just know already grows and grows.

Oh well, that's the nature of the beast. Good luck to everyone. I'm hoping that we at least find out by Next Friday.

Edited by Espanya2013

my fpa hasn't heard anything since the e-mail she got in october stating the applications had been accepted and we would be notified on january 31st. all fulbright communication says on, not by, however it seems like the past few years have been before the 31st deadline. i'm hoping for the 20th as well. most organizations send out e-mails like this on a friday so you don't call and bug them if you freak when you don't get it. self-preservation.

don't check your e-mail until the very end of the day! fortunately/unfortunately i have class all day and will hopefully be somewhat preoccupied. i'm fucking dying.

Edited by waveaflag

Does that mean all of you have applied for Germany ETA, since you're responding to Molly? I wonder how many of us there were this year. Here's hoping all of us on here get it...I think it'll be an anxious week for me!

don't check your e-mail until the very end of the day! fortunately/unfortunately i have class all day and will hopefully be somewhat preoccupied. i'm fucking dying.

I won't be able to concentrate knowing it is there!