Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

PS: I was on the phone with Fulbright headquarters in DC the other day, and they reported no chance of funding cuts, at least not for the 2012-2013 season. Don't believe me? Call them yourselves and take what you will with the necessary pillar of salt.

thanks for that info!!

I applied to Austria for the Diplomatic Academy Grant, and I'm interested in whether anyone else has applied for this before, and second whether anyone else who has previously applied to Austria could tell me when they were notified as far as making it through the first round is concerned. I realize it will be sometime in January, but I just wanted to know on which end of the spectrum this country is for notifications. Seeing as it's fairly small, I would hope that they could render their decisions sooner than other countries such as Germany or elsewhere. Just thought I would ask. Greatly appreciated!

It's worth remembering this when you go the ballot box: President Obama and fellow Democrats are trying to save Fulbright from catastrophic cuts that the Republican House wants so badly.

If you think it cannot happen, you would be wrong. The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Awards were COMPLETELY canceled this year because of cuts initiated by Republicans in the House.

YES I am antsy. It would be an amazing opportunity for both me and my kids to get a "real-world" education. Definitely worried about my UG GPA, and whether having a family will count against me. In the middle of a dreary winter in a rural area, it's hard not to dream about Mediterranean beaches in Valencia, Spain! 8 more weeks till 1st cuts...

Just another applicant going a little crazy with this waiting game. I applied for a research grant to Russia, and I'm hoping to study how doctors perceive and treat injecting drug users in the country and the distinctions they make between IDUs and alcoholics. Anyone else applying to Russia?

On another note, what is your backup plan if the Fulbright doesn't work out? I just submitted applications to three PhD Public Health programs... this is making my wait even more painful, though!!

Do we learn exactly on January 30th? I hate this wait.

I applied last year and was ultimately chosen as an alternate. I heard that I made the first round on Jan 20.

I'm very nervous about future cuts in the Fulbright-Hays program and how that will spill over to the regular Fulbright program. Does anyone know of any campaigns to save funding for Fulbright-Hays? I found this, but it's rather limited.

http://www.aieaworld.org/AnnouncementRetrieve.aspx?ID=72821

We need to rally to save this program in a big way. I worry that a large reason that I did not get picked as a principal last year is that people who normally would have gone with the Fulbright-Hays (PhD candidates and the like) opted for the regular program when their funding got cut by overzealous and misguided congressmen.

I applied last year and was ultimately chosen as an alternate. I heard that I made the first round on Jan 20.

I'm very nervous about future cuts in the Fulbright-Hays program and how that will spill over to the regular Fulbright program. Does anyone know of any campaigns to save funding for Fulbright-Hays? I found this, but it's rather limited.

http://www.aieaworld...e.aspx?ID=72821

We need to rally to save this program in a big way. I worry that a large reason that I did not get picked as a principal last year is that people who normally would have gone with the Fulbright-Hays (PhD candidates and the like) opted for the regular program when their funding got cut by overzealous and misguided congressmen.

So are you basically saying that you were competing for a Fulbright research grant with PhD candidates? Were you a graduating senior? I know that research grants are already tough to get for graduating seniors but if all of the PhD candidates with obvious research experience are applying that just makes me wonder what was the point of applying... I do hope they want to give graduating seniors a chance to gain research experience :/ It's unfair that the funding for Fulbright-Hays was cut though. Do you follow the Facebook updates from Fulbright? There's some other programs open to those with work experience, like that Public Policy program and some Europe focused program. They do seem to be trying to make up for it in other ways

http://www.aieaworld...e.aspx?ID=72821

The best things to do are to write the Dept of Education (Secretary Arne Duncan) and your Congresspeople directly.

Just to be clear about what happened. During the budget cuts, one of the agencies that had its budget cut was the Department of Education. (It was far from alone in this regard. Most Departments were told to enact budget cuts.) When that department made decisions about how to handle the budget cuts passed down to them by Congress, they chose to eliminate funding for Fulbright-Hays, among other programs. It was not that Congress directly eliminated the Fulbright-Hays program, just like Congress has not mandated cuts to the Fulbright program.

Also, there was a Fulbright-Hays program last year. It just wasn't funded by the Department of Education. The Mellon Foundation provided one year of funding to the program and IIE administered the funds, just as IIE administers Fulbright student grants. Believe me, many PhD candidates would've picked Fulbright-Hays over Fulbright because it pays more money and gives you more money for your research. The timing was an issue though, since the Mellon funding didn't come through until the summer.

So are you basically saying that you were competing for a Fulbright research grant with PhD candidates? Were you a graduating senior? I know that research grants are already tough to get for graduating seniors but if all of the PhD candidates with obvious research experience are applying that just makes me wonder what was the point of applying... I do hope they want to give graduating seniors a chance to gain research experience :/

Yes, you will be competing against PhD and master's students but, that has always been the case. There isn't really much room on the Fulbright application to show off your past research experience so I doubt that plays a huge role in the evaluation process. What matters more is having an interesting project that people in the country/region you're applying to believe is necessary and useful.

Edited by msafiri

On another note, what is your backup plan if the Fulbright doesn't work out? I just submitted applications to three PhD Public Health programs... this is making my wait even more painful, though!!

i also applied for a deustcher akademischer austausch dienst (daad), and a private scholarship through the center for lesbian and gay studies. all of them provide the same amount of funding. fingers crossed for at least one, right?

i also applied for a deustcher akademischer austausch dienst (daad), and a private scholarship through the center for lesbian and gay studies. all of them provide the same amount of funding. fingers crossed for at least one, right?

I'm assuming the GLBT scholarship is for GLBT related work, not just to GLBT students, right?

Edited by fosgfp

I'm assuming the GLBT scholarship is for GLBT related work, not just to GLBT students, right?

yes, but i don't know any straight people making work about gays.

i applied for a fine arts study grant to germany. my proposal involves a photographic and sculptural body of work dealing with understanding how berlin's tumultuous past has affected contemporary queers' modes of representation and cultural status. i also proposed to establish a site specific, alternative exhibition space to promote work dealing with similar issues from local artists. berlin has a rich history with both subjects. i have affiliation at hgb leipzig and the schwules museum. i used the same proposal for all applications. we'll see how that goes.

yes, but i don't know any straight people making work about gays.

i applied for a fine arts study grant to germany. my proposal involves a photographic and sculptural body of work dealing with understanding how berlin's tumultuous past has affected contemporary queers' modes of representation and cultural status. i also proposed to establish a site specific, alternative exhibition space to promote work dealing with similar issues from local artists. berlin has a rich history with both subjects. i have affiliation at hgb leipzig and the schwules museum. i used the same proposal for all applications. we'll see how that goes.

I just asked because I'd qualify if it was for gay students, but not if it was for gay related work :-P Always looking for Fulbright backups

I just asked because I'd qualify if it was for gay students, but not if it was for gay related work :-P Always looking for Fulbright backups

this particular scholarship was geared towards the arts, but i know that the center offers grants for lgbt students working in other fields as well. there is another organization called the point foundation that gives a lot of money. also, i found this random but totally awesome list of scholarships on the university of illinois springfield's website. its a word doc so the easiest way to find it is by going to uis.edu and typing in lgbt scholarships into the search bar.

Any arts candidates to Germany hear anything yet? We're supposed to have our next round of materials submitted to the Kommission in Berlin by Thursday the 15th.....

that's only for music. that part tripped me up quite a bit.

Anyone else applying to Russia?

I am! I had been trying to put together an application for several years, but could never find a letter of affiliation until now. I am applying for the research fellowship, in biology. This process takes way too long, and I imagine that's part of why Fulbright has trouble recruiting applicants in the sciences.

Belafish, which city do you expect to be placed in? I expect to be in St. Petersburg!

Is anyone else applying to the UK? I know that it is the most competitive country, with the most applicants, but I haven't come across any yet.

Since I am super anxious to find out preliminary results in January, I have been looking at different websites to try to find out any information. While looking on the UK-US Fulbright site, I found this timeline:

early May - Competition opens, applications available via IIE

17 October - Application deadline

December-January - Applications evaluated, short-list drawn up

early February - Short-listed candidates invited to telephone interviews

Mid February - Telephone Interviews

March - Notification

April-June - Fulbright scholar paperwork preparation

mid September - Independent arrival and Orientation in London, Your Fulbright Year begins!

This is the first I've heard of phone interviews. I'm not sure if this isn't on the Fulbright website (or maybe I just missed it...) because maybe whether or not there is a phone interview varies by country. Anyway, I would love a phone interview. The application was such a small amount of space!