Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Does anyone have any information on Belgium? I noticed it wasn't listed in any of the past spreadsheets...I saw two have received the full grants...

I haven't received a full grant, but I've been recommended. What did you apply for? Perhaps send me a PM for more info. . . .

Which program did you apply to, and was it for ETA or a full grant? I was under the impression that everyone received an in-country orientation and people going to most regions (with the notable exception of Western Europe and now it looks like East-Asia Pacific) went to a pre-departure orientation. I've been in touch with past Fulbright ETAs going to Indonesia and Malaysia and they also had in-country orientations together as ETAs before going their separate ways. Looks like I was way off the mark!

It seems like those going for research grants don't get as structured of an orientation as the ETAs though. Makes sense, since ETAs usually don't have as strong a grasp of the local language or any affiliations/connections with locals before arrival.

I am in Central America on a full grant. The ETAs had a longer orientation than we did, though they did attend some of the same sessions we went to during our PDO. The Central America and Caribbean region attends PDO in DC because there are no Fulbright Commissions or affiliates to provide in-country orientations. Sub-Saharan Africa grantees attended PDO right after we did last year. The one advantage is that I got to meet the faculty going abroad on Fulbright Scholar grants at the PDO since they had to attend as well.

IDK if this is a dumb question...But do the ETAs for Bulgaria have a required orientation? (In June Perhaps?)

There is one in August. BG has an in-country orientation in Bansko at the start of your year. PM if you have any other questions.

I'm pretty sure you're the only one. Are you trying to come the the US as a grad student, or an undergrad?

Re: the spreadsheet, it's been updated, but it's alphabetically sorted by country, so Vietnam will always appear last.

Cool thanks.

Just joined.. Recommended for full grant to Russia.

Anyone know what we should expect for our language interviews? Just a general gauge of language proficiency or will it be pretty in depth about our projects?

Good luck to everyone!

Hey everybody!

This is my first time posting to this forum, although I have been checking it out throughout the application process. I have been recommended for an ETA to Indonesia for 2012-2013! Congratulations to anybody else who has made it to this point and I can't wait to hear about everybody's experiences!

Are there any current grantees or applicants for Indonesia who are posting on here? I'd love to hear your input :)

Hi Mbeezy,

I'm a recommended candidate for a full grant to Indonesia. There's another user on this forum (Bbdoll) who is recommended for an ETA to Indonesia. I got a lot of great advice from a former Fulbrighter to Indonesia, so I'd urge you to reach out to people for their experiences. A few blogs by Indo ETAs out there, too!

You should also add yourself to the 2012-2013 applicants list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuGpbWEh-3b0dHZzTU1BN0lNLU1yeG5XWktnY2k3bmc

Anyone know what we should expect for our language interviews? Just a general gauge of language proficiency or will it be pretty in depth about our projects?

Good luck to everyone!

I had my interview for Russia already. I'm an ETA applicant, but it was pretty basic language-gauging for me. One thing I'm worried about is that my interview definitely was not the thirty minutes they said it would be; it was probably closer to 10-15. But I found it perfectly normal and not at all stressful. Good luck on your interview!

Good luck to everyone!

Yeah I had mine for China already

Since mines for a research grant I had to talk about the project, dissemination, methods, etc. I'm an undergraduate so that could hurt me...idk but my sponsor in China is an economist who speaks fluent english, so they were aware of that

Yeah I had mine for China already

Since mines for a research grant I had to talk about the project, dissemination, methods, etc. I'm an undergraduate so that could hurt me...idk but my sponsor in China is an economist who speaks fluent english, so they were aware of that

hey, i got recommended for a research grant in china too. when i was doing my application, i had an instructor fill out the language eval page, but i heard that someone from fulbright or the chinese gov't may call and do an interview to check on your language skills if you get recommended. A) is this true? B) is what you're referring to in your post your language eval for the application or a recent call from someone affiliated with fulbright/china?

Any other Fulbrighters have to deal with a change of status? Apparently Colombia had a record number of ETA applicants. I was first not recommended and then 4 days later told that they added more ETA positions and I AM recommended. I sure feel pulled around. Just when I was trying to move forward in a different direction I am back to the waiting game. I'm thankful Im still in the running but it makes me wonder if my application isn't as good as the ones recommended the first time round.

hey, i got recommended for a research grant in china too. when i was doing my application, i had an instructor fill out the language eval page, but i heard that someone from fulbright or the chinese gov't may call and do an interview to check on your language skills if you get recommended. A) is this true? B) is what you're referring to in your post your language eval for the application or a recent call from someone affiliated with fulbright/china?

I had two language evaluations: 1) from my Chinese instructor who held an interview with me and 2) my school had a Fulbright committee that is linked up with IIE who brought in an outside language evaluator. Both of these occurred back in november

I have never heard of the government calling you.

New member here. Any other ETA German Fulbrighters a little confused by the PAD form?

ETA Germany too :) Confused in what way? It's basic information they want about us, and then the cover letter and Lebenslauf. I've heard that in the past, Germany ETAs just translate their personal statement as the Lebenslauf, and their statement of grant purpose as the cover letter. That's what I'm in the process of doing, though their will be some edits and additions for the Lebenslauf.

Any other Fulbrighters have to deal with a change of status? Apparently Colombia had a record number of ETA applicants. I was first not recommended and then 4 days later told that they added more ETA positions and I AM recommended. I sure feel pulled around. Just when I was trying to move forward in a different direction I am back to the waiting game. I'm thankful Im still in the running but it makes me wonder if my application isn't as good as the ones recommended the first time round.

wow congrats

ETA Germany too :) Confused in what way? It's basic information they want about us, and then the cover letter and Lebenslauf. I've heard that in the past, Germany ETAs just translate their personal statement as the Lebenslauf, and their statement of grant purpose as the cover letter. That's what I'm in the process of doing, though their will be some edits and additions for the Lebenslauf.

I have a friend who is ETAing in Germany right now, and she said not to translate it, because PAD receives a copy of our original application. But that being said, I'm assuming the information in the essays will all be similar.

My friend is in Germany now as an ETA and while she drafted an essay copy of her Resume for a Lebenslauf, she told me everybody she asked at orientation said that they simply translated their documents into German. From what I heard from her, selections were pretty disparate and not very organized, with various different people of different statuses being accepted.

I only wish that they would specify exactly what would differentiate the new essays from the old (besides the German); unless, of course, they are simply looking for you to have a German document in. Perhaps they require original German documents since the PAD is German and needs these as official requirements.