Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Who says you have to read it? If you don't care about this forum get out. Simple.

Who says the Germany applicants can't take a moment to look over the last four or five pages of the forum and see similar questions (and some answers) about the PAD and Lebenslauf? T Pain's comment may have been a little harsh, but that kind of research is generally considered a forum courtesy.

I am in Central America on a full grant. The ETAs had a longer orientation than we did, though they did attend some of the same sessions we went to during our PDO. The Central America and Caribbean region attends PDO in DC because there are no Fulbright Commissions or affiliates to provide in-country orientations. Sub-Saharan Africa grantees attended PDO right after we did last year. The one advantage is that I got to meet the faculty going abroad on Fulbright Scholar grants at the PDO since they had to attend as well.

Congrats on your grant! That is a nice advantage but I agree with you that I would rather take a more traditional orientation in country. Thanks for the info.

Ahhh nice thanks for both clearing up my question as to why there were only recommended people on here and sorting out a way to keep it clean. Does anybody have any thoughts as to why I am the only Malaysia ETA despite the fact that the program has just gotten huge in the last two years? I mean I know it is supposed to be less competitive, and many of you guys seem like pretty high-powered candidates to be getting recommended for these programs... soo maybe the contributors on this thread/board have self-selected as only going for the really tough programs? I may be way off base here, and sorry if this or a similar question has already been answered earlier in the thread.

Hey outlookingin,

I was originally an applicant for the Malaysia ETA but switched over to Indonesia. I have a couple of thoughts on your questions on the Malaysia ETA if you feel like PMing me.

I apologize to those who have been annoyed at the intense focus on the German ETA. I see no reason for making a new topic since the discussion is quite concentrated. And there does seem to be a large number of Germany ETA applicants here... plus, you can just keep scrolling.

Anyway, a sort of final update: the reason for writing such similar essays is because the PAD program sends these to various schools to judge if you are a good fit for their school. Individual schools will themselves read these. Oh and I asked the people at PAD and they said it was fine to send in your Personal Statement and Grant Purpose, so long as they are both translated:

"Sie können selbstverständlich Ihr Personal Statement und Grant Purpose benutzen, sollten diese Schreiben aber ins Deutsche übersetzen.

Beste Grüße

Adelheid Tajber-Jansen"

Edited by TheodPliske8711

Hi all!

I'm a little confused about these phone interviews people are referencing -- does every country conduct these language assessments of recommended candidates? I had a language eval with a faculty member and during my campus interview ... I'm out of the country now until end of Feb and would hate to miss something! Am a full grant app to Spain.

Many thanks!!

Hi All,

Full grant finalist to UK question..anybody have an idea of typical questions asked during the phone interview?

Also, I received a note from Fulbright committee suggesting that I also consider one of their 'partnership affiliated' schools, one that I know very little about..How do you think I should interpret that suggestion?

Thanks.

LL

Hi all!

I'm a little confused about these phone interviews people are referencing -- does every country conduct these language assessments of recommended candidates? I had a language eval with a faculty member and during my campus interview ... I'm out of the country now until end of Feb and would hate to miss something! Am a full grant app to Spain.

Many thanks!!

I was wondering that myself. I'm a full grant finalist for Lithuania, and I haven't heard anything about an interview. Should I go on assuming that it doesn't apply to me, or is it worth contacting my (extremely busy) FPA for clarification?

Hi All,

Full grant finalist to UK question..anybody have an idea of typical questions asked during the phone interview?

Also, I received a note from Fulbright committee suggesting that I also consider one of their 'partnership affiliated' schools, one that I know very little about..How do you think I should interpret that suggestion?

Thanks.

LL

pomona has a summary of previous interview questions linked here through depauw: http://www.depauw.edu/files/resources/ukfulbrighttelephoneinterviewquestions_pomona2011.pdf

Hi all-- posting for the first time. So glad I found somewhere to commiserate during the process.

Recommended for a full grant to Sierra Leone.

Any other Sub-Saharan Africa applicants out there??

Hey I just joined.

I was Recommended/ Full Grant/ Ghana

I haven't seen anyone else with grants to sub-Saharan Africa! Anyone?

I was wondering that myself. I'm a full grant finalist for Lithuania, and I haven't heard anything about an interview. Should I go on assuming that it doesn't apply to me, or is it worth contacting my (extremely busy) FPA for clarification?

Email the one that applies to you: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/contact_us.html

Never assume with this. Check everything!

You should know if your country requires a language interview. For Russia, it is the first thing listed under "country summaries" on the Fulbright website. If you are required to have an interview, I guarantee you that you will be contacted for it. Some countries don't require them... the ones that do are often where proficiency in the country's language is necessary.

Hi All,

Thanks.

LL

Hi LL, I'm also in contention for the full grant to the UK. What school are you going to be affiliated with?

Have you, by any chance, heard about whether you are going to have an interview? They emailed me today wanting a phone interview, and it is scheduled for February 7!

I apologize to those who have been annoyed at the intense focus on the German ETA. I see no reason for making a new topic since the discussion is quite concentrated. And there does seem to be a large number of Germany ETA applicants here... plus, you can just keep scrolling.

Anyway, a sort of final update: the reason for writing such similar essays is because the PAD program sends these to various schools to judge if you are a good fit for their school. Individual schools will themselves read these. Oh and I asked the people at PAD and they said it was fine to send in your Personal Statement and Grant Purpose, so long as they are both translated:

"Sie können selbstverständlich Ihr Personal Statement und Grant Purpose benutzen, sollten diese Schreiben aber ins Deutsche übersetzen.

Beste Grüße

Adelheid Tajber-Jansen"

As a current Fulbrighter in Germany (full grant), the German ETAs tend to dominate the discussion, including the Facebook group meant for all Fulbrighters to Germany! If y'all have any questions about the process, feel free to private message me! I just recently signed on this account after 6 months or something ... eek!

Mit vielen Grüßen aus Bonn

crimson

PS - Remember - Der Weg ist das Ziel.

Hey, I'm new!

Recommended

ETA

Germany

So question, what are the rest of the Germany eta hopefuls thinking in terms of how soon to get our PAD app in the mail. On one hand I think the sooner the better.....on the other I figure by the deadline is good enough......thoughts?

I'm probably gonna hold on to it and look it over fanatically, analyzing each and every single thing typed as absurdum and only get it in the mail while crying in the belief that a single word has the wrong letter accidentally typed in ....

Do you have an FPA? I graduated from college two years ago and my FPA is still really hands on - I would recommend asking him or her to review it (in english obvi). They go to conferences and attend meetings and receive bulletins and tips about all sorts of things to do with fulbright so that they can better coach their applicants on how to gain the grant.

Public Health/ Communicable disease education. What's your project? Keeping my fingers crossed!

My project is looking at women's rights under customary legal systems.

What about other Full granters? I'd love to hear about the work others are proposing -- something to keep us occupied through the next stage!

I'd love to hear what other people have proposed too. We've got until April to hear everyone's elevator pitches. :)

If I am chosen for Kyrgyzstan, I will gather and analyze data on the association between breastfeeding and undernutrition / stunting. In parts of Central Asia, breastfed babies are MORE likely to be stunted and undernourished. This is opposite from most of the rest of the resource-poor world, where using Mom as a personal water filter keeps kids comparatively healthy and nourished.

I know it's not interesting to most people, but I am fascinated!

What questions have driven the rest of you to work so hard to get a Fulbright?