Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

I am a Malaysia ETA applicant and have been recommended =) ! I, too, am wondering how many people have applied. I am also freaking out a little bit about when they will let us know. I have been accepted to Teach for America and accepted with the caveat that I will be able to defer if I am offered the Fulbright grant. However, I would have to find out from Fulbright before I start the TFA institute which means if I am given an alternate status I will likely not be able to accept even if I am ultimately offered it. Fingers crossed!

congrats on TFA! i have my final interview this Friday and I'm nervous as hell

I am a Malaysia ETA applicant and have been recommended =) ! I, too, am wondering how many people have applied. I am also freaking out a little bit about when they will let us know. I have been accepted to Teach for America and accepted with the caveat that I will be able to defer if I am offered the Fulbright grant. However, I would have to find out from Fulbright before I start the TFA institute which means if I am given an alternate status I will likely not be able to accept even if I am ultimately offered it. Fingers crossed!

I had a friend who was accepted for TFA and Fulbright (Germany ETA) around the same time. She was able to defer TFA to the next year under the condition that she end her Fulbright grant a month early in order to attend training back in the States. Between both TFA and the German Kommission everything worked out great and she is now in Texas finishing her first year.

Doesn't the Malaysia ETA only start in January 2013? Fingers crossed you get both, but what are you planning to do in your downtime until January? That seems like sooooo long!

Hi all, I've just discovered this forum, congratulations to everyone! I was recommended for ETA in France 2012-2013. Very excited, but tired of all the waiting and uncertainty! Any other ETA candidates recommended for France?

Hi I was also recommended for an ETA in France... but I'm worried that I should have heard some more news by now....?

Sorry to go back to the German PAD application again (sigh!). I was wondering, what did everyone put for the Semesteranschrift if you no longer have a school address? I am kind of troubled about what to put. I have no address there anymore since I graduated last May. What did everyone else here put?

Sorry to go back to the German PAD application again (sigh!). I was wondering, what did everyone put for the Semesteranschrift if you no longer have a school address? I am kind of troubled about what to put. I have no address there anymore since I graduated last May. What did everyone else here put?

I was just leaving it blank. I have lived at home the past two years so I have no other address anyway.

What did you do about the passport photo? Did you just use one the same size, or actually make a copy of your passport and cut out the photo? I was hesitant about that because there are designs and stuff across the passport photo. I was planning on just taking a new photo and printing in the same size as a passport one......What do you think?

I went to a pharmacy and just got new passport photos. Two reasons: one being that I didn't want to play around with it and two because I wanted to make a more presentable picture.

Yeah, there are two places on my college campus that take passport photos and print them for you, so check and see if your school has something like that. A pharmacy or full service post office usually can too.

I'm waiting on reponses to my U.S. Ph.D. program applications. After an interview for the Fulbright Graduate Student Award (October 2011) I was nominated an 'alternate candidate'. Am hoping that the list of alternates is very small(?) and have heard rumours that sometimes people who get awarded a Fulbright and a Rhodes (or other schol.) sometimes decline the Fulbright [fingers crossed!]

Am curious to know what my chances are, and if anyone has had experience of going from alternate to selected status, and when this might happen?

After only a few minutes of lurking...

Recommended ETA to Spain. I saw some France and Germany, any other Spain people? The waiting is agony. I'm really over the anxiety. Or rather, I'M NOT! Much thanks to those who reminded people to send in their transcripts, I actually had completely overlooked that, which would have been catastrophic : /

I had my telephone interview for the Russian Research Fellowship. I am pleased by how it went, but it's amazing how short it was. I suppose they do have a lot of candidates to evaluate. Now for 2 more months of waiting - just glad that there is nothing more I can do until then. There is no hurdle to prepare for.

@badgerslp: My FPA literally said "Leave them alone!" and that if they do not receive your transcript, the FPAs will be contacted. In regards to making sure materials have been received, I ordered a transcript, tracked, and confirmed its delivery.

Hope this helps! :-)

Hi I was also recommended for an ETA in France... but I'm worried that I should have heard some more news by now....?

All I have received so far is the initial e-mail. Unfortunately, from what I've heard I don't think we will hear until early April. You haven't received confirmation of them receiving your transcript, have you? Did you also apply to the French gov't teaching position?

https://docs.google....tnY2k3bmc#gid=0

Everybody new to the Forum, make sure to go to this link and email the address w/your info!

Also, once you have accessed a doc, I'm pretty sure it is saved in your google docs file. Just log into your google account/gmail account and click the "Documents" link on the upper left-hand side of the screen and it should show up in your list of documents.

@badgersip, I also got the same advice from my FPA which was a big fat "DO NOT BOTHER THEM" and that they will not confirm the receipt of any transcripts and stuff unless they are feeling really nice that day. Supposedly they will contact with you if they need something, but this is just the start of the crazy season for them. I'm planning on just mailing everything registered/certified/with some kind of tracking from now on to assuage my (totally rational) fear that something got lost in the mail.

Also someone asked what the FPA's do now that everyone who was recommended has been notified? I was under the impression that they start advising the people who are applying for next year since that application just opened.

Edited by bdoll

@tokyotokyoto

Hi there! I've been recommended for a full grant to Kyrgyzstan! I PM'ed you. I wish we could get a few people together who are in the pool for the regional grant to Central Asia to share info and news. I'm curious as to what people want to study. I think the region is beyond fascinating and look forward to research / community collaboration. Be well!

I went to Central Asia a few years ago and loved it. Definitely check out Osh, it was one of my favorite cities there, especially because of the diversity (people, ideologies). Also, it will conveniently put you in proximity to Uzbekistan and East Turkestan :)

@badgerslp -

I called the office since I was nervous about my transcripts getting where they needed to be on time, and the guy who checked on them for me was very helpful. He didn't give me any indication that I my call was unusual, or that I was doing something I wasn't supposed to.

I want to find out about my transcripts! What was the number?

The IIE New York office number is 1-(212)-883-8200.

I will say though - I called on Monday and they were really nice and they checked for me. The lady I talked to said she hadn't received my transcripts, but I could call back later in the week again, so I did. The lady I talked to today wasn't very friendly and she said "we don't really do that (check for transcripts)... it's probably just here unopened..."

So, I guess it just depends on who you get when you call.

I spoke to my FPA again today and she also mentioned that IIE will send you an email if they do not receive your transcript. She said that they will not reject your application because they did not receive your transcript. I hope this can assuage some anxiety :-)