Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

I'm waiting on the Germany Full Grant notification. Will we be notified by email? I thought it was per letter sent to our permanent address...

PS You can look at last year's spreadsheet, people described what kind of envelope/media their acceptance came in.

I e-mailed Rachel Hoskin about how we are notified (I'm a full grant to Russia)... and she said we are notified by e-mail first, and then mail. Not sure if it applies to all programs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.

I e-mailed Rachel Hoskin about how we are notified (I'm a full grant to Russia)... and she said we are notified by e-mail first, and then mail. Not sure if it applies to all programs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.

Wait, seriously? That seems to be a big change from years past. Did she give any timeline?

Hello all! Brand new to this forum, found it courtesy of my Fulbright adviser. I am an American recommended for a full grant to study at Oxford but I'm currently doing an internship and a research project in Rome. I am so excited to FINALLY get a decision as I feel like I've been waiting for ages...any other UK-ers or Oxonian hopefuls out there? Good luck to everybody!

Hello all! Brand new to this forum, found it courtesy of my Fulbright adviser. I am an American recommended for a full grant to study at Oxford but I'm currently doing an internship and a research project in Rome. I am so excited to FINALLY get a decision as I feel like I've been waiting for ages...any other UK-ers or Oxonian hopefuls out there? Good luck to everybody!

Hi there!

If you don't mind my asking: When was your interview? Mine was February 7th and they told me they'd notify me in 3.5 weeks (which is today). Did they tell you the same?

I applied to Essex. So it's not (too) far from Oxford. What's your project on?

Hey all,

I added tabs on the current spreadsheet with the spreadsheets from previous years so you don't have go looking for them (if you're like me and always forget to bookmark them).

... can't wait to stop wondering.

Hey all,

I added tabs on the current spreadsheet with the spreadsheets from previous years so you don't have go looking for them (if you're like me and always forget to bookmark them).

Thank you very much! It is nice to have them all in one document. :)

...And yes, I share your sentiment! According to the last year's spreadsheet, applicants for Indonesia should find out at the end of this month/early April!! :-0

Edited by redArcher

Hi there!

If you don't mind my asking: When was your interview? Mine was February 7th and they told me they'd notify me in 3.5 weeks (which is today). Did they tell you the same?

It's Friday and pushing 1630, what are they waiting for? Lol. Good luck!! :-)

Edited by redArcher

Hey all,

That was a great idea, thank you!

I was hoping someone would have received notification by now so I could celebrate vicariously through them, as I don't expect to hear anything until mid-April at the earliest. Biz, do you think the Baltic State notifications will go out together? Can't wait!

That was a great idea, thank you!

I was hoping someone would have received notification by now so I could celebrate vicariously through them, as I don't expect to hear anything until mid-April at the earliest. Biz, do you think the Baltic State notifications will go out together? Can't wait!

It looks like the Baltics always come about the same time... late. But I'm hoping this concept of notifiying people through email has extended further than the couple countries mentioned earlier and maybe we'll get lucky and hear before late April. Otherwise I'm planning on living vicariously through everyone else too! :)

Wait, seriously? That seems to be a big change from years past. Did she give any timeline?

I was so excited when I read this! There is something nice about knowing that I will be able to find out the results more privately than my whole family checking the mail and concluding from envelope size. The hardest part about this whole thing, for me, is that I'm not the only one waiting... my husband and both of our immediate and extended families know I applied and are also anxious to hear whether or not I got it. I hope the email comes sooner rather than later! Rachel responded to my previous email saying that we wouldn't hear until April/May... that is sooooo long away!!

Davushka, pelevinfan, what are you hoping to research? What made you pick Russia?

I was so excited when I read this! There is something nice about knowing that I will be able to find out the results more privately than my whole family checking the mail and concluding from envelope size. The hardest part about this whole thing, for me, is that I'm not the only one waiting... my husband and both of our immediate and extended families know I applied and are also anxious to hear whether or not I got it. I hope the email comes sooner rather than later! Rachel responded to my previous email saying that we wouldn't hear until April/May... that is sooooo long away!!

Davushka, pelevinfan, what are you hoping to research? What made you pick Russia?

Sorry, my response to that post was a bit misleading. I'm actually an ETA applicant, so I won't really be researching anything. I picked Russia because I've studied there previously and I absolutely love it there. Regardless of the outcome of the Fulbright, I"ll be starting a PhD program in Russian literature and culture in the next two years - of course, the Fulbright will affect if I start this fall, or next.

How about you?

Is it outlandish to call/email your country/program adviser to get some sort of timeline as to when we will receive responses?

I think that it's outlandish for Fulbright to have us put our lives on hold for this long! :) If I understand correctly, the supervising agency abroad has to approve our applications, and then they are sent back to the Fulbright Commission, right?

I think that it's outlandish for Fulbright to have us put our lives on hold for this long! :) If I understand correctly, the supervising agency abroad has to approve our applications, and then they are sent back to the Fulbright Commission, right?

I think that's the hardest part of the waiting at this point, knowing that our countries (Indonesia for me) have most likely already made their decision! I wonder if our country advisers would let us know about any sort of timeline, other than just saying to look up the results from past years. Has anyone talked to their country adviser and heard anything useful?

Hi there!

Hey! I actually didn't have an interview. My adviser forwarded an email from the director of the program and he said:

"Invitation to interview (only those candidates where the UK Selection Committee needs further info – all candidates still in play at this stage) sent by the end of January

4. Interviews (to gather additional info in some instances) 6-16 February (all candidates are still in play at this stage)

5. Further UK Selection Committee meetings will take place 17-25th February (all candidates are still in play at this stage)

6. A final shortlist is finalised by the UK Selection Committee by 25 February (those not on short-list will be notified by IIE shortly thereafter)

7. Final UK Selection Committee meetings take place 25 February - 3 March

8. Final UK selections are transmitted to IIE and FSB around 3-5 March

9. IIE and FSB send notification to all candidates shortly thereafter"

My best guess then is that we'll hear back sometime next week! My project is about European asylum policy and Muslim integration in the UK, how about you? Best of luck to you!

Hey! I actually didn't have an interview. My adviser forwarded an email from the director of the program and he said:

"Invitation to interview (only those candidates where the UK Selection Committee needs further info – all candidates still in play at this stage) sent by the end of January

4. Interviews (to gather additional info in some instances) 6-16 February (all candidates are still in play at this stage)

5. Further UK Selection Committee meetings will take place 17-25th February (all candidates are still in play at this stage)

6. A final shortlist is finalised by the UK Selection Committee by 25 February (those not on short-list will be notified by IIE shortly thereafter)

7. Final UK Selection Committee meetings take place 25 February - 3 March

8. Final UK selections are transmitted to IIE and FSB around 3-5 March

9. IIE and FSB send notification to all candidates shortly thereafter"

My best guess then is that we'll hear back sometime next week! My project is about European asylum policy and Muslim integration in the UK, how about you? Best of luck to you!

Hi magiaepasta,

It has been my understanding that yes, not everyone gets chosen for an interview, but the interview is not just conducted to gather additional information about an applicant; the interview also determines who survives the final cut. Thus, one must get an interview with the UK committee to be in contention for an award. I have been told that 75% of finalists are chosen for interviews and then 75% of those interviewed are chosen for awards.

There was an exchange about this earlier in February on this board:

I've been recommended for a full research grant to the U.K., but I haven't been contacted for a phone interview, and I'm definitely starting to worry. I know that one person on this forum received an e-mail scheduling a U.K. phone interview on January 30th (for February 7th). Has anyone else heard from the committee? Or, if anyone on this forum applied to the U.K. in past years, do you happen to know if all of the interview requests go out at once, or if applicants are contacted in a staggered fashion?

I was recommended for a full grant to the UK back in 2009, and yes - if you haven't been contacted for an interview you should be worried. Give it another month and if they don't contact you by the first week of March, I would make other plans. Fingers crossed!

I am by no means an expert on how they choose finalists for the Fulbright or anything, and so I am a little worried that your advisor seems to have information that's pretty much contrary to what I have heard. In any case, I guess we're all going to be finding out fairly soon. Fingers crossed for you! (And for a Monday notification date!).

Edited by judehermes

Hi magiaepasta,

It has been my understanding that yes, not everyone gets chosen for an interview, but the interview is not just conducted to gather additional information about an applicant; the interview also determines who survives the final cut. Thus, one must get an interview with the UK committee to be in contention for an award. I have been told that 75% of finalists are chosen for interviews and then 75% of those interviewed are chosen for awards.

There was an exchange about this earlier in February on this board:

I am by no means an expert on how they choose finalists for the Fulbright or anything, and so I am a little worried that your advisor seems to have information that's pretty much contrary to what I have heard. In any case, I guess we're all going to be finding out fairly soon. Fingers crossed for you! (And for a Monday notification date!).

Well, there's nothing I can do but wait at this point! My adviser forwarded the email that was sent to all Fulbright advisers by Michael Scott-Kline, who is the director of the Fulbright awards program and so that's where the information comes from. In his email he says:

"To remind everyone, the selection process in the UK takes place from January to March, with some candidates called to interview in February. Not all IIE recommended candidates are interviewed and whether or not a candidate is called to interview does not mean they will be selected or not selected. Interviews in this context are simply intended as an additional information-gathering exercise in instances when the UK selection committee would like more detail from particular applicants. All candidates (principals, non-selects and alternates) will ultimately be notified by IIE, and all at the same time (likely in early March)."

It may in fact be that the majority of those selected were also interviewed, but he didn't mention in the email that it was a good or bad thing to be interviewed. In any case, there's no sense in worrying about it now as there really isn't anything to be done. We will just have to see what happens! Best of luck!

Hi everyone. I'm hanging around as a grad student waiting to hear from the NSF DDIG and Boren but I thought I'd stop by this thread to offer myself as a resource. I was a 2006-2007 Fulbright Scholar, straight out of undergrad. If you have any questions (once you receive notification or beforehand) feel free to email me at snowblossom2 AT yahoo.com