Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Emerging from lurkdome today as well, mainly to thank all of you for such wonderful information and support. I found this forum a few weeks ago when I couldn't take waiting anymore and started googling for notifications. Best of luck to all of you. To alternates and those still waiting to hear - hang in there!!! And to those that did not receive the best news, when one door closes others seem to open that would not have otherwise.

For the spreadsheet:

Denmark, full, accepted

email today (3/30) at 11:14 EST

I've never posted before, but I was notified a few weeks ago that I'm an alternate for a full grant to Ecuador. I'm wondering, after reading how many people received acceptance notifications from Rachel or other advisors directly, if there may have been an error: mine came directly from Jody, the Latin America coordinator, but I was told I was an alternate. And, the exact minute mine was sent, two guys tweeted about receiving full grants. Am I reading too much into this?

Stately Plump- Have you heard anything yet?

Yes. Rejected for full grant to Finland. Not too upset, because it means I get to start my PhD program one year sooner :)

Good luck with your grant! I hope you get it!

Does anyone have any insight into the flexibility of fellowship dates? In other words, would I be able to postpone the "10 month grant period, from September through June," as is listed on my country page, for January-October? Does anyone have any experience rescheduling a Fulbright full grant?

I already asked my FPA about this, and her answer was YES, but my postponement request was only for 1 month, whereas yours is much longer. Gotta ask either your FPA or your region's program manager.

I see that in 2010 - 2011 a Portugal ETA Alternate was later accepted for an ETA in Morocco...

Anyone know why something like this would happen?

A little bummed out about this semi-rejection e-mail, but glad to be a part of this wonderful group!

It's not a semi-rejection. Consider it a partial acceptance. Having been named as alternate for more internships/fellowships than I care to count, and having been eventually awarded most of them, I can say this without being unduly optimistic.

At least you finally heard something.

I've never posted before, but I was notified a few weeks ago that I'm an alternate for a full grant to Ecuador. I'm wondering, after reading how many people received acceptance notifications from Rachel or other advisors directly, if there may have been an error: mine came directly from Jody, the Latin America coordinator, but I was told I was an alternate. And, the exact minute mine was sent, two guys tweeted about receiving full grants. Am I reading too much into this?

The same was true for me (alternate, Chile). My email from Jody came at the same time others received acceptances. I don't think it means anything, unfortunately!

Congrats! Just heard I'm an alternate to Chile. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Congrats, too! I'm also an alternate to Chile. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Has anyone called about Italy?

I've been wanting to call but since I'm in Italy it is expensive/impractical. I'm giving them until Tuesday, and if we don't hear back by then I'll call because I'll be back in the US.

Honestly just curious - why does everyone call Fulbright instead of emailing? It's surprising in this day and age.

I personally called because I was embarrassed and didn't want to give my name. I know how annoying and overwhelming all of these requests for more information must be, and I didn't want my name attached to the action. (only reason I called was because I needed to know if I would find out in time to sign a lease)

I see that in 2010 - 2011 a Portugal ETA Alternate was later accepted for an ETA in Morocco...

Anyone know why something like this would happen?

A little bummed out about this semi-rejection e-mail, but glad to be a part of this wonderful group!

i think it is because morocco was in need of etas that year; they took a bunch of people who applied for egypt, so maybe portugal was next in line since its also relatively close to morocco....maybe?

I personally called because I was embarrassed and didn't want to give my name. I know how annoying and overwhelming all of these requests for more information must be, and I didn't want my name attached to the action. (only reason I called was because I needed to know if I would find out in time to sign a lease)

OH! That's funny. Is that really why everyone calls? I don't think I would have thought of this in order to stay anonymous. Haha!

Yes. Rejected for full grant to Finland. Not too upset, because it means I get to start my PhD program one year sooner :)

Good luck with your grant! I hope you get it!

Thank you Stately. For the record, I think the Ph.D. game was a tad ridiculous this year (my record was 0/5, not all that bad, but the injury lasted; I dreamt of my rejection letter intro sentences for weeks after). As a result, I expect you are a most Baller academic poised for program domination. Kill it!

Thank you Stately. For the record, I think the Ph.D. game was a tad ridiculous this year (my record was 0/5, not all that bad, but the injury lasted; I dreamt of my rejection letter intro sentences for weeks after). As a result, I expect you are a most Baller academic poised for program domination. Kill it!

THIS is what this forum should be. Loving the support and positivity! And for the record, Stately, I totally agree with ashleytris!

First-time poster here. Glad I found it and that I'm not alone in my anxiety. Received word today that I'm on the alternate list for the Fulbright classroom teacher exchange in the uk. Does anyone know if this means there's any shred of a chance? Or is this throw in the towel time?

Hello all, I am a first time poster but a long time lurker. I found out yesterday that I am an alternate to Cyprus ETA, which I was surprised I made it that far, given that I applied at-large (not by choice). I really wanted someone else's opinion on this. I did apply at-large because my university, mainly the FPA on my campus, chose to not back me. Is this normal? My university is a mid-size and to-date they have only had one person ever get the Fulbright, so (to me) it seems like they would want to do everything they could to help out someone who is applying. Also, I must add that there are no set steps/procedures in applying for the Fulbright on my campus, because hardly anyone is aware that it even exists. My friend, who attends another university, told me that they have required seminars and meetings. My university has none of that. Anyways, I approached my FPA approximately six to seven weeks before the deadline to tell her that I wanted to apply and to ask her if I even had a shot. Especially, given the fact that I had graduated in 2010. At that point, I had already contacted my three references and had rough drafts of my essays, which I made her aware of all of that. She was somewhat helpful, and told me that she would email the committee and get back to me. After a week to a week and a half, I still had not heard back from her. So, I emailed her. She quickly responded, saying "Though it is an excellent committee, they are all busy professionals and so I think it is unlikely that we could have the kind of turnaround time that would be needed to help you in this cycle." To be honest I was shocked, given that she had told me no one else was applying at that time and I had studied abroad three times through her office. I emailed her asking if there was anyone on the committee that would be willing to assist me in my application, just to proof my essays and give me feedback. That email received no response. I feel like I should say something to someone (above my FPA) so that my university gets a set procedure for the Fulbright application process, or at least some deadlines to notify the FPA that you want to apply. I just don't want this to happen to someone else. So basically I am wondering, if this had happened to you what would you do? Would you just sit back and say nothing? Or would you try to get it changed for future Fulbright applicants? Also, how would you go about doing this, so that you don't step on anyone’s toes? Thanks in advance.

Hello all, I am a first time poster but a long time lurker. I found out yesterday that I am an alternate to Cyprus ETA, which I was surprised I made it that far, given that I applied at-large (not by choice). I really wanted someone else's opinion on this. I did apply at-large because my university, mainly the FPA on my campus, chose to not back me. Is this normal? My university is a mid-size and to-date they have only had one person ever get the Fulbright, so (to me) it seems like they would want to do everything they could to help out someone who is applying. Also, I must add that there are no set steps/procedures in applying for the Fulbright on my campus, because hardly anyone is aware that it even exists. My friend, who attends another university, told me that they have required seminars and meetings. My university has none of that. Anyways, I approached my FPA approximately six to seven weeks before the deadline to tell her that I wanted to apply and to ask her if I even had a shot. Especially, given the fact that I had graduated in 2010. At that point, I had already contacted my three references and had rough drafts of my essays, which I made her aware of all of that. She was somewhat helpful, and told me that she would email the committee and get back to me. After a week to a week and a half, I still had not heard back from her. So, I emailed her. She quickly responded, saying "Though it is an excellent committee, they are all busy professionals and so I think it is unlikely that we could have the kind of turnaround time that would be needed to help you in this cycle." To be honest I was shocked, given that she had told me no one else was applying at that time and I had studied abroad three times through her office. I emailed her asking if there was anyone on the committee that would be willing to assist me in my application, just to proof my essays and give me feedback. That email received no response. I feel like I should say something to someone (above my FPA) so that my university gets a set procedure for the Fulbright application process, or at least some deadlines to notify the FPA that you want to apply. I just don't want this to happen to someone else. So basically I am wondering, if this had happened to you what would you do? Would you just sit back and say nothing? Or would you try to get it changed for future Fulbright applicants? Also, how would you go about doing this, so that you don't step on anyone’s toes? Thanks in advance.

Man, that's rough! Good job on everything you have accomplished on your own! My first thought is that it might be helpful to write the university president and tell him/her about how well things have gone for you in your Fulbright application on your own. You might communicate that although you requested assistance from the university in preparing your materials, no one was able to help, and so you felt that you had to apply "at-large." I think that a respectful, fact-based letter suggesting that procedures be put in place to help future applicants should be well-received. After all, having students win Fulbrights is a feather in the cap for any university, and it would seem to me that any university president would be concerned if staff and faculty were somehow holding students back or failing to give them the help they need.

I just discovered some more info about this year's pre-departure orientation and wanted to pass it on... it looks like much fewer countries are required to attend the "in-person" orientation and will instead have a virtual orientation. What a great idea and excellent way to cut back!

"A virtual Pre-Departure Orientation for U.S. Fulbright Scholars and Students selected to receive grants will be made available later this spring via a U.S. Department of State website. Selected scholars will be notified via email when the Website is available"

http://www.cies.org/us_scholars/orientation/

l.bell, I also think you should absolutely suggest improvements to university administrators. (You won't have time if you're shifted to accepted so you might as well do it now.)

Maybe they'll be more helpful to future applicants. I hope you get that ETA to Cyprus. I was once plucked from a waiting list for a big international opportunity so it does happen. Good luck.