Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

[quote name='belafish' timestamp='1333209464' post='1057836584'

"A virtual Pre-Departure Orientation for U.S. Fulbright Scholars and Students selected to receive grants will be made available later this spring via a U.S. Department of State website. Selected scholars will be notified via email when the Website is available"

http://www.cies.org/...rs/orientation/

Sjay - I'm a graduating undergraduate applying to do a year of research before graduate school. My program would be at the Weizmann Institute of Science and the project involves mapping how carbon is cycled in organisms in central carbon metabolism. Weizmann has a really nice community of researchers in the field of systems biology, which is the field that I am headed to for grad school in the US. What is your subject at Hebrew University?

While I have never heard of a letter of "information notification", I have heard some different accounts of how Israel notifies it's candidates. My campus Fulbright coordinator thought that Israel typically notifies early to mid-March via email (our school currently has a candidate in Israel), but I saw online that they sometimes notify primarily through snail mail. Although other countries tend to notify Accepted, Alternate, and Rejected candidates simultaneously, I'm starting to wonder if Israel may have sent a message of "information notification" to those accepted and is holding back for the other applicants. Either way, congrats and best wishes that your grant works out for your dissertation research!

Sometimes I wonder if there was some solace in not having these forums to exchange anxieties. At least we can also exchange encouragement. Good luck to everyone!

I was recommended for consideration for a research grant to Jordan. Does anyone know when we should expect to hear back? Rumor has it that last year, people were notified mid-June.

Edited by texasdaisy008

I was recommended for consideration for a research grant to Jordan. Does anyone know when we should expect to hear back? Rumor has it that last year, people were notified mid-June.

mid-JUNE? i will DIE if this is the case... i was recommended for a full grant to morocco but when i emailed jermaine jones the same automated response of "mid-march to mid-april" came up. i think notifications will be earlier this year, as last year the revolutions probably slowed the process considerably. i'm really hoping we hear this week because i can't concentrate on my thesis because of this and feel unmotivated to apply to other things without an answer from fulbright...

(edited because i quoted the same thing twice :D)

Edited by couscous90

mid-JUNE? i will DIE if this is the case... i was recommended for a full grant to morocco but when i emailed jermaine jones the same automated response of "mid-march to mid-april" came up. i think notifications will be earlier this year, as last year the revolutions probably slowed the process considerably. i'm really hoping we hear this week because i can't concentrate on my thesis because of this and feel unmotivated to apply to other things without an answer from fulbright...

(edited because i quoted the same thing twice :D)

i am in the exact same position with my thesis/school work :(

Has anyone heard back from Jamaica? Like some others out there, I can't focus on what I need to because I'm constantly thinking about Fulbright notification and steadily checking my email.

For Jamaica, when do they traditionally notify their applicants? I hope not mid June.....And for some of you who call to find out, how do you know who to call? Is there a specific representative that I should call to follow up on applications to the Caribbean?

Thanks in advance...

Thanks for checking!! I think we're the only Caribbean people on here... the wait continues...

Thanks for the update...I've applied to Jamaica and having been looking for posts from people who have applied to the Caribbean. Any word on a timeframe?

First time posting... recommended for Serbia ETA. I replied to Rachel's pre-departure orientation asking for a timeline, and on Friday she said I should hear back within two weeks. Serbia's a pretty new program so there's not a lot of data about when they've heard in the past. Nice to know I won't be waiting too too long! (Although 2 weeks seems like forever... ugh!)

Thanks for the update...I've applied to Jamaica and having been looking for posts from people who have applied to the Caribbean. Any word on a timeframe?

I applied to Jamaica too... Have not heard anything yet from Fulbright...

Has anyone heard anything regarding the Austrian Teaching Assistantship? I know someone who got a rejection letter last thursday via e-mail, and since then I haven't heard anything.... Any thoughts?

here is an email i received about a week ago for a question I asked:

"The AAEC is currently in the process of placing the teaching assistants for the 2012-13 school year together with the Austrian Ministry of Education the Arts and Culture. Placement is contingent on various factors, including but not limited to, availability of schools, quality of the application and number of new applicants as well as extending teaching assistants.

Applicants will be informed about their placement by mid-April at the latest."

Remember, the likelihood is that the earlier you hear, the more likely the chance that you go rejected. I do not think that the USTA program is as organized as Fulbright, but they probably do have a system. The longer you do not hear, the better. Most likely.

Edited by TheodPliske8711

Ecuador 8: They didn't list a reason as to why, but I'm imagining it's because someone declined. When they told me that I was an alternate, they said the wouldn't know until May or June for funding. But anyway, here's part of the email I received to my delight this morning:

Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have promoted from Alternate and selected for a US Student Fulbright award for 2012-2013 to Germany. Shortly you will receive a letter from the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board with further details of the award. This letter will be sent to the mailing address listed in your application and noted above. This address will remain your corresponding address unless you notify us in writing (via email to your IIE Program Manager.)

In the meantime, be aware that this award is contingent upon your obtaining: medical clearance; a bachelor's degree, if graduating this year; official research clearance from the host country, where applicable; and required visas.

Please note that all selected candidates will be required to submit a Medical History and Examination Form before the grant can be finalized. The Form must be completed and signed by a licensed physician and reviewed by the U.S. State Department for medical clearance.

The medical form has been posted online along with instructions and other information pertinent to your grant. You should print out the form and have it completed in accordance with the timelines described in the cover memorandum.

Again, congratulations on your accomplishments and we look forward to working with you.

In terms of the DR, it looks like people have historically been notified from late March - late April. As the other Jamaica applicant indicated, the Caribbean commission has not made their decisions yet, so I'm assuming that we'll know later rather than sooner (unfortunately). Check the spreadsheet for specific Jamaica information. By the way, ROC14627 - are you from Rochester, NY? I recognized the zip code... I grew up there (14625, too funny).

Edited by rtlc06

To all my Caribbean/ Central America friends out there--I sent an email to Pamela on Friday about what to expect in terms of dates for final decisions and will let you all know what I hear once she emails me back. Hope it's soon!

In terms of the DR, it looks like people have historically been notified from late March - late April. As the other Jamaica applicant indicated, the Caribbean commission has not made their decisions yet, so I'm assuming that we'll know later rather than sooner (unfortunately). Check the spreadsheet for specific Jamaica information. By the way, ROC14627 - are you from Rochester, NY? I recognized the zip code... I grew up there (14625, too funny).

Thanks....What spreadsheet are you referring to? I've read about a spreadsheet before but don't know how to access it. Please help. Anyone....Thanks in advance.