Public Speaking

Derfasciti

Only reading this makes me panic. I looove talking and being the center of attention, until I realize that I AM the center of attention. Then I turn red and silent. So having me speak in front of an audience, as a speaker...

And about the practice part, I always took it as practice speaking in public, not as practice that specific talk... I think practicing in general is a lot more beneficial, in general. There was a point during my first summer REU when I would just get up and speak when it was time for my presentation, maybe a little too fast still (and English is not my first language so that might be a tad bit hard to follow, esp since natives usually don't speak fast even when they're speaking fast), but I would definitely not freeze. I got out of practice, and I get short of breath only thinking about it right now...

I have a small public speaking related problem (not necessarily anxiety related, but possibly exacerbated by nerves). Whenever I'm presenting a paper, my throat will get really dry after I've been talking for a bit, which makes it hard to speak. I'll stop to take a sip of water, but that only helps a little. I was wondering if anyone else has (or has had) this problem and if anyone knows of things that might help.

• 2 months later...

I actually love public speaking, I believe I am one of those persons that likes the sound of their voice. I also had a lot of practice public speaking as a child so I am sure this has helped a lot.

I used to be so scared of public speaking I wasn't able to continue talking to even my friends if I saw anybody else looking at me, or in my direction. One of my best friends "made" me get on a stage in front of ~600 people to perform poetry once a month in high school, until I went from a silent 3 minutes of just standing on the stage to actually performing. I never got good at it, and I don't do it anymore, but now when I'm presenting information or just speaking to a group, I can handle it.

I don't know if that will help you, since I'm not sure how many venues there are that would allow you to stand on the stage shaking in fear with a really supportive audience. But, I guess I'm trying to say that practice makes perfect. If you can get a bunch of your friends to listen to you talk as the center of attention, and then add more friends & keep practicing until you are really comfortable with it, you might do better when you're in front of an audience you don't know very well.

I suffer from fear of public speaking and I have found the following things helpful: Speak. Very. Slowly. Speak like Morgan Freeman when he narrates! It will not only solve the problem of speaking too fast, but it will help calm you down. Also, take every opportunity you can to speak in front of people. If a person asks you to volunteer to speak, take her up on it. Also, don't bother even thinking about anti-anxiety medications. I get random panic attacks that I take Xanax for. I once tried taking xanax before speaking and it didn't help at all. Also, most anti-anxiety medications (and alcohol) inhibit quick and creative thinking- a side effect that will make the Q & A process harder than it already is.

• 9 months later...

Hey guys!

I just got accepted to an MA program in European history. I'm very excited but I do have one seemingly major problem. Public speaking. Now do not get me wrong. I thrive in a discussion-based class. I can be very articulate and am very outspoken in settings like that. One of the professors even let me stand in for her class last semester to speak with her students for an hour and a half on medieval historiography.

Yet in some situations I'm pretty scared of public speaking. I've gone to several conferences to read my research papers. The nerves have gotten better from what they used to be in situations like that but they're still not at an ideal level. Furthermore, as president of the school's chapter of Phi Alpha Theta I gave a three minute year in review which was very very nerve-wracking. I tend to speed read or speak really really fast when I get nervous.

So despite some of my speaking abilities, it would seem that in formal settings when I have to physically stand up I am far more nervous. This is very distressing as I do want to move on to Ph.D work and become a professor.

So I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone else suffer from this and how does one cope with it? Is it all merely a matter of time that one becomes used to it? Are there any skills to develop or basic mind tricks that make it easier? I know it's all in my head but it's one of those things that does bother the crap out of me. I think if I were in a classroom setting teaching "social inferiors" the stress would be much better, but still.

Any advice, feedback, personal experiences?

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it!

I used to be just like you but I recently bought a book called "Taming your Public Speaking Monkeys". It's a really great book that really made sense to me and helped me to understand why I was feeling the way that I do and how to change it. The author makes you think about the voices in the head telling you negative things and encourages you to think of them as monkeys.Then you can communicate with and tame your monkeys so that they no longer control you. For me it really helped as I think, like you, deep down I was able to do this, but something in my head was stopping me. Once I got past my fears I became a different person and no longer suffer the fear that I did previously, I'm forcing myself to get lots of practice and each time I do it I can feel myself getting better and more confident. The book is available here: http://www.deeclayton.com/page/overcome-your-fear-public-speaking-self-help-book

I think you've gotten a lot of really good advice (including, for the record, the prospect of a fast-acting anxiolytic on an as needed basis) but I just wanted to drop in as another voice telling you that you're not alone in your fears. I think a big part of the reason I put off grad school until now is sheer terror at the thought of public speaking. It may even have something to do with why I'm aiming for an MS and not a PhD- a dissertation defense sounds to me like hell on earth. But in any case, I'm moving forward in spite of my gremlins...kudos to you for doing the same, and best of luck. :)

I hate public speaking and in the past have really sucked at it. Regardless of how prepared I am, I tend to go bright red, sweat A LOT, speak at the speed of listening, and get dizzy. It's weird, the question period to date hasn't been a problem for me speaking- I can speak candidly comfortable (in class, for my defense, at presentations)...it's just when i get up to do a very rehearsed presentation. Also, when I teach it doesn't bother me at all...

When I get nervous about speaking to large crowds, I generally remind myself that 80% of them are either on their laptop, phone or sleeping and paying no attention to me, 15% are actually listening to me and hoping I do well, and 5% are listening to me and trying to come up with questions to watch me fail.

Also, I have used the drug Propranolol and have had great success with it. It reduced my physiological symptoms that I got which calmed me down (because sweats, dizzy, and increase heart rate creates a freak out), and still left me clear headed. If you do get some for a presentation, I would recommend trying it out before hand!

• 2 weeks later...

I am comfortable speaking in front of people. One thing that helped me is that I studied a foreign language through out high school and minored in one in college. I had to do presentations in a foreign language in front of people. After having to do that a few times, it made getting up and speaking English seem so simple. Doing something more difficult than something you are scared makes it much easier in comparison.

So do something silly, like try practicing your presentation while standing on one leg in front of a friend, while you are running or swimming, practice it while your eyes are closed and walking backwards. It will seem easy when you are standing still.

Also, think about how much you ACTUALLY listen to people who are presenting when you are in class. Are you really hearing every word they say? No, probably not. Your mind is probably elsewhere. The reality is that most people are not even paying attention to you. Don't stress over people who are not stressing over you.

Also, think about how much you ACTUALLY listen to people who are presenting when you are in class. Are you really hearing every word they say? No, probably not. Your mind is probably elsewhere. The reality is that most people are not even paying attention to you. Don't stress over people who are not stressing over you.

I was captain of my high school's colorguard my junior year and this is exactly what I told the rookies...folks are wandering around in the stands, getting hot chocolates and using the bathroom during half time- and the folks who ARE watching you want you to succeed. They're not judging.

I will be attending a PhD program this upcoming Fall and I have a HUGE fear of public speaking. I intend to just 'deal' with it since the degree is worth more to me than my fear...

This thread has offered some great advice so far! I have a question for you folks! Is it frowned upon or shunned to discuss public speaking concerns with fellow classmates or my supervisor? I would love to get their feelings and opinions, but I'm not sure if it's an acceptable topic of discussion. It seems to me like it's something that is a non-issue in academia - like something you just deal with on your own and move on. Is this crazy for me to think this?

I'm probably going to start practicing by joining toastmasters and reading books on the subject, but I feel like they can only go so far... I'm not against taking meds for it, but like other have said, it only seems to 'treat' the problem, not cure the root of the problem. That's it for now. Thanks in advance for any comments/advice!

• 1 month later...

I'm another one with a fear of public speaking. In fact, as an undergrad, I paid someone to speak for me (we gave a group presentation, and she agreed that, in exchange for an $80 textbook, she would do all the talking). Somehow I have managed to get a bachelor's degree without ever giving a presentation on my own! But now as a grad student I'll be expected to lead discussions as a TA. I feel light-headed just thinking about it! I attended a Toastmaster's meeting, but declined to speak in front of the group when asked. It seems like I'm hopeless. I do have access to some anti-anxiety medication. If that's what it takes, I'll use it. Maybe it will treat the problem, enabling me to get enough experience to eventually speak without it. Good luck to you!

Edited by waitinginvain?

Making eye contact when publicly speaking is what makes me nervous. So, instead of looking at people's faces, I'll look behind them and it allows me to focus my thoughts a bit better, and then when I feel more sure of myself, I'll make eye contact.

My high school/college break job had me speaking to groups up to 250 multiple times a day. I hated it and found making eye contact really comfortable. You have the right idea of looking behind. I tended to either find an older person who wasn't paying attention anyway, or look just above their heads.

My high school speech class took off points if you visibly fidgeted. I found if I had a little trinket (usually cloth since it didn't make noise) on the podium I could fiddle with that without being noticeable and that helped a bit. With that and my job I found if I had something in my hand (trinkey, microphone, etc) I did better because I had something to slightly distract me.