I/O Psychology 2009

uberskooper

I'd like to reopen this topic for anyone applying to an I/O program.

I have eight schools on my list:

Wayne State University

Wright State University

Seattle Pacific University

Purdue University

Case Western University

George Washington University

Central Michigan University

Portland State University

Hopefully I'll get into one of their Ph.D programs. Most of my applications have been sent in, but it seems like I won't hear anything until February. The wait is hard!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I am applying to I/O and Organizational Behavior programs.

I am applying to 6, and there are two I am still debating on sending an application in to.

Stanford

Portland State

Texas A&M

Rice University

UC Irvine

DePaul

Possible

Washington University in St. Louis

University of Missouri

I am sending my applications in this week. Portland State and Stanford are my top choices.

Hi, Portland State is actually one of my top choices :)

I am interested in researching selection and leadership. I am pretty nervous about my GRE (1140), but thankfully the cutoff at most schools is 1100. My GPA (3.97) and research experience is all pretty solid. I am already taking a graduate I/O class at Arizona State right now so I am hoping that my low GRE does not overshadow my chances. I am really hoping to go to either Stanford, Portland State, or DePaul.

What about you?

My interests are in performance prediction, selection, job analysis, and workplace justice. Who do you want to work with at PSU? I contacted Drs. Truxillo and James. Only Truxillo replied. He was polite, but he wouldn't let me talk to any of his grad students (which an admission advisor relative of mine has told me is suspicious). It was the coldest reception I received from all of my prospective programs. All the other potential advisors I contacted were friendly and helpful. Outside of that, Truxillo only does something vaguely related to what I want to do anyway, so PSU is one of my last choices. If it comes down to you or me, I hope you get into that program.

I saw that you also want to apply GWU. It's a good school and I hope I get in. They're set to receive some new faculty too. Hopefully they share some of my interests if my prospective advisor decides to leave.

I am interested in working with either Truxillo or Bauer at PSU. I am sure you will get into one of your programs of choice, since it seems you have really focused on matching yourself to programs with similar research interests.

I am about to send my application into Portland this week, did you send you GRE scores and everything in one set package? I know they request to do that, but I had ETS just mail my GRE after I took the test so I hope that's not an issue. I was hoping all of the programs I was applying to would have online applications, but it's not that big of a deal. Did you contact all the schools to make sure they had everything in on time?

What schools are your top choice? You will have to keep me posted on how it all goes. All this waiting for answers is going to be unnerving!

Portland's application was the most archaic of all the programs I am applying too. It's entirely paper based, no online component at all. I submitted my GRE scores to the school of graduate studies (since ETS does that by default) and sent the rest of my materials to the psychology department, as the form requested. The grad school told me that many applicants do this, you should just email them a reminder to forward it to the appropriat department.

I contacted nearly all of my programs to verify that they recieved everything and followed up with them if anything needed to be resent. I say nearly because some schools were really slow about getting back to me and since they were not top picks I decided not to exert the effort. I ended up recieving letters from these programs much later saying they had my documentation.

My top picks are Wayne State (excellent faculty match and funding), Wright State University (same reasons), and Purdue (the guy I want to work with is studying some damn cool stuff). I also like Central Michigan even though it's in the middle of nowhere because of great faculty fit and they're all tenured, this unlikely to leave me hanging.

The wait until February is too long! I want to be accepted now and have peace of mind.

I have a friend that got into Wayne State last year and she seems to like it. I personally do not think I could do Michigan, being an Arizona native and all. I hope it works out for you though. I know some programs say they don't let you know until March but that seems pretty late! Hopefully it's sooner than later because the uncertainty is killing me.

You'll have to keep me posted if you hear anything. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! New to the forums here. I'm applying to several I/O programs as well. There seems to be a lot of diversity in those programs chosen by folks on here!

Top choice: Teachers College of Columbia University (although it's social-organizational rather than traditional I/O)

Penn State

U. of Connecticut

U. of Akron

Michigan State

U. of Minnesota

I was going to apply to NYU, but it's expensive ($85!) and I'm about 98% certain I wouldn't get in.

I feel like I'm shortcutting myself by only applying to 6 programs.... cut down from my original 8. But at this late date, I'm limited in selections, as my geographical requirements are rather specific (nowhere in the South/Southeast -- I'm in Atlanta right now, and except for my school, hate it).

Does anyone have any experience in asking their recommenders to write MORE recommendations for them after they've already completed what you and they thought would be all? Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience in asking their recommenders to write MORE recommendations for them after they've already completed what you and they thought would be all? Thanks!

Yes, I have. I applied to masters programs during my senior year for counseling psych and ultimately decided not go to. Now I'm reapplying for I/O programs and I was so nervous to email my old professor (after all those recommendation cover sheets he had to fill out), but he was extremely courteous.

I think professors may save recommendations for a year or two for cases such as yours - asking for another recommendation is only a matter of editing what they've already written about you. If you have a good rapport, they should not be unwilling to write on your behalf a second time.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys! I didn't apply to any I/O programs, but I did apply to OB, and it looks like the OB action is here rather than on the "Business" boards. :)

I applied to:

- Stanford

- Haas/UC Berkeley

- U Chicago

- Kellogg/Northwestern

- Columbia

I do happen to know that Stanford doesn't interview and that they tend to notify quite late, in early-mid March...I'm guessing it will be a while for the others too!

Congrats on the interview! Good luck!

I haven't heard anything yet. I think most of the December due dates will be giving us notice early Feb. Exciting!

Congrats indeed! I haven't heard anything either, but I'm not surprised.... I wasn't counting on stuff for another month, month and a half, if not later. Trying to find stuff to occupy my mind until then, lol (plus lay down more solid foundations for back-up plans). A friend of mine who started at GA Tech this past fall said she didn't hear until mid-April, WELL after the others had sent responses! I don't know if I could wait that long....

I don't believe any of the programs I applied to even have an interview which is really strange! I kind of wish they did so I could have a better idea of who I'd be working with ect.

Only one of mine does. Interviews make me very nervous, though, so I'm glad.