I/O Psychology 2009

uberskooper

Same here...

I don't think I'd be waitlisted to all 5 schools - I have to be either rejected or accepted to a few of them.

I don't know if I can wait another week.... :(

Assesta - I was probably rejected from UIUC in the first round - I received my letter about a month ago.

This second round is taking FOREVER!!!

*sigh*

I guess I just have to be patient...

You should definitely relax. I noticed you applied to Rice and Texas A&M (I did too) I haven't heard back from either. They aren't my top choices. Although, I just thought I'd throw that out there if it makes you feel any better. Also, if you don't get in this year, is it really the end of the world? You will probably be even ten times more eligible next year. I don't forsee you getting 5 more rejections. So try to enjoy your youth a bit. I know I'm only 21 and if I don't get in this year I will definitely be in next year, with all the knowledge I've gained from this process. So either way just try to stay positive and not think of it as the end of the world. Good Luck! I'll let you know if I hear from any schools you applied to.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

To the person curious about NCSU:

I've basically been waitlisted. The email says they're waiting on some offers that are already out, but I'm considered to be a finalist. Not fully sure of my chances...but they'll notify of the decision in 3-5 weeks.

My stats:

GRE: 1200

GPA: 3.5

1.5 years research experience/working on honors thesis currently

Hope this helps!

I applied to 7 Schools:

Purdue, Penn State, Bowling Green State, Michigan State, Colorado State, Akron, and DePaul

I've been accepted to 3, waitlisted at 1, rejected by 1 (not the one I was expecting, either) and haven't heard from 2, being DePaul and Akron. I e-mailed Jennifer Klein, the DePaul coordinator, and she never got back to me with any information.

I've visited 2, visiting the 3rd acceptance over spring break (in 1.5 weeks) and will be making a final decision after that, letting the Universities know far before April 15.

UIUC's visiting weekend is this weekend. They accepted very few (3?) people this year.

FYI -

I called Portland State again, and they said they are having some sort of difficulties, somehow relating to their Applied Social program. First contact should come within two weeks - rejections will be emailed, acceptances will be called.

That's so odd about DePaul. How did you find out about the decisions already being mailed out? I live in Champaign, which is only like 2 hours south of Chicago, so you get letters in like 2 days tops-- and I haven't gotten anything from them. Even if someone is just on the waiting list, I feel like it's better to tell them that they're on the waiting list than just not say anything/not provide any communication. With Colorado State I figured I was rejected because when I visited Penn State a girl told me she had been waitlisted there... but this whole limbo thing just is frustrating.

Hi Paiged,

I completely agree. I found out by calling the psychology department. The girl responded saying, "I think we just mailed out letters" That didn't sound reassuring. I told her we were expecting emails and she was going to have that Karen lady email me back although it sounds like they are kind of unorganized. I am just sharing with you what little information I was given on that.

Let me know if you find out anything further.

Hi Paiged,

I completely agree. I found out by calling the psychology department. The girl responded saying, "I think we just mailed out letters" That didn't sound reassuring. I told her we were expecting emails and she was going to have that Karen lady email me back although it sounds like they are kind of unorganized. I am just sharing with you what little information I was given on that.

Let me know if you find out anything further.

Hey Guys-

I actually spoke to someone last week who had applied to DePaul and had gotten a call from the department accepting them into the program.. Therefore, I am assuming that initial offers have already been made :(

Just thought I would share!

That's so odd about DePaul. How did you find out about the decisions already being mailed out? I live in Champaign, which is only like 2 hours south of Chicago, so you get letters in like 2 days tops-- and I haven't gotten anything from them. Even if someone is just on the waiting list, I feel like it's better to tell them that they're on the waiting list than just not say anything/not provide any communication. With Colorado State I figured I was rejected because when I visited Penn State a girl told me she had been waitlisted there... but this whole limbo thing just is frustrating.

What did you think of Penn State when you visited? I'm waitlisted there as well, but it's at the top of my preferences (well, tied for first).

I really liked Penn State; with the schools I have visited, it's my leading choice right now because the grad students are outgoing, friendly and supportive, and the faculty are the same way. The students have nights where they cook dinner together, go to football games together, etc. The faculty seem to really be in touch with their graduate students, and the fact that all of them mentor the students (they don't epouse the mentor-apprenticeship model) helps because it means there is always someone you can talk to if need be. They've just started running an assessment center, have awesome research, their budget isn't being affected by the state budget, and the faculty is so energetic and passionate. Cost of living is very affordable with the stipend, their practicum is first rate, and they not only encourage students to take internships but help in the placement. There is a great balance between I and O, and doing research with multiple faculty is encouraged (and required do to it with at least 2). I'm pretty sure you can see I've drank the Kool-Aid :)

Have you heard anything from Akron yet?

I really liked Penn State; with the schools I have visited, it's my leading choice right now because the grad students are outgoing, friendly and supportive, and the faculty are the same way. The students have nights where they cook dinner together, go to football games together, etc. The faculty seem to really be in touch with their graduate students, and the fact that all of them mentor the students (they don't epouse the mentor-apprenticeship model) helps because it means there is always someone you can talk to if need be. They've just started running an assessment center, have awesome research, their budget isn't being affected by the state budget, and the faculty is so energetic and passionate. Cost of living is very affordable with the stipend, their practicum is first rate, and they not only encourage students to take internships but help in the placement. There is a great balance between I and O, and doing research with multiple faculty is encouraged (and required do to it with at least 2). I'm pretty sure you can see I've drank the Kool-Aid :)

Have you heard anything from Akron yet?

It sounds like a wonderful place.... I've been in regular contact with Dr. Jacobs, and I've gotten a VERY good impression of the program just from speaking with him, as well as with a couple of grad students last fall. I'm glad you like it so much, but.... I'm still waitlisted so :( .

Haven't heard from Akron yet. I'm surprised; I had expected to hear something this week at the latest.

As a heads up, I got a phone call from Andrea Snell from Akron this afternoon. I'm waitlisted, and she "wanted to know my status." Unfortunately she called my home, not my cell, and it's too late to call her back today. Wait till Monday, I suppose!

As a heads up, I got a phone call from Andrea Snell from Akron this afternoon. I'm waitlisted, and she "wanted to know my status." Unfortunately she called my home, not my cell, and it's too late to call her back today. Wait till Monday, I suppose!

As did I.... I didn't call her back so she emailed a few hours later as well, lol.

Siiiiiiigh.

Hey all! I'm new to this board.

I applied to 5 schools:

DePaul

GMU

GWU

UIUC

UMD

UIUC- rejected

UMD- rejected

DePaul- waitlisted

GMU- Unknown

GWU- Unknown

DePaul is my top choice, so I'm dying right now! :cry:

I applied to DePaul as well! When did you hear about being waitlisted? I still haven't heard anything regarding my application so I wasn't sure what the deal was? Hang in there!!! I know this waiting is rough! April 15 cant come soon enough!!!

I actually emailed Jennifer Klein earlier this week, and I got an e-mail back from Dr. Bell telling me that I was a strong applicant and on the waitlist. I have no idea what position, and I'm not entirely sure I want to know.

Best of luck to you, too!!

PS to all- Where can I view the stats for acceptances that you all were speaking of?

Hey!

I've applied to Masters in I/O psych programs. Anyone else pursuing Masters too??

I've applied to :

George Mason U (GMU)

Teachers College, Columbia U (TC)

U of Akron

University of North Carolina, Charlotte (UNCC)

Florida Institute of Tech (FIT)

Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)

New York U (NYU)

Illinois Institute of Tech (IIT)

Illinois State U

Minnesota State U (MSU)

As of now, I've been accepted at TC,FIT,MSU, U of Akron...

How should I make a decision?? Any suggestions??

Hey Malini!

I applied to ISU's program too - they already admitted as many students as they are going to for this year(they let in 2 i think).

(I go to school right near there, so I heard when their visit day was)

I applied for a masters at GMU as well!

What advisor(s) are you looking for there?

As did I.... I didn't call her back so she emailed a few hours later as well, lol.

Siiiiiiigh.

I just finished writing her an e-mail that [in much more formal terms] said that I didn't think it was fair to keep me under consideration because I was down to 2 schools and probably making my decision next week. That is a very weird feeling.

Has anyone who applied to UNC-Charlotte's PhD Org Science program heard any news from the department???

The department could not be bothered to speak with me. About ten days ago, I received a status update via their website informing me that a decision has been made. A few days later they posted on the website an online version of a rejection letter. I have yet to receive one in the mail, but I suppose the online rejection is enough to send me away. I've posted the text of the letter. I was not too sure about their program anyway because of the shoddy self-evaluation study in which they compare themselves to IO programs without using identical criteria. Pretty sloppy research to prove their Org-Sci program if you ask me.

My wonderfully vague rejection letter from UNCC:

Thank you for your interest in the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. The admissions committee for the Organizational Science - PHD program carefully reviewed your application and supporting documentation. The committee considered several factors in addition to your academic background, including the competitiveness of the incoming class, having an adequate match between an applicant and the program faculty